Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Counselling helping to deal with grid

Sian-danielle

• Members
Sian-danielle

My boyfriend was killed in an RTA 15 weeks ago and I am finding things so difficult. I have not been able to go back to work properly since his accident. I'm finding doing a lot of things difficult to do and just want to curl up and hide from the world. My family and friends want me to go to counselling. What are people's thoughts on this, does it help?

• Members

Counseling has been very good for me, but just as one piece of my acceptance process. I also read grief books, have spoken at length with friends/family who have lost their spouse, and think a lot about the change and how it effects my future. Everybody is different, some get more out of counseling than others I suppose, but I strongly recommend trying. If you don't feel comfortable with the counselor, find another one until you do. It is worth a shot at least.

On a related note, I can add that I probably never would have gone to counseling when I was younger and full of that false pride that seems to go with youth. Now I know it's not a sign of weakness, no more than it's a weakness to hire professional help with other difficult problems that require special skills.

Archived