Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

antidepressants vs grief

junglee queen

• Members

I started taking antidepressants. For a week or so that foggy feeling and drowsiness were helpful somehow . But now iam starting to go back slowly to where i was before taking the medicine . I hate how the best thing in my life became the most painful thing in my life. Even his own mother is dealing with it much better than me . :mellow: .

• Members

Talk to your doctor about this please. Sometimes a dosage adjustment is required, dosing is sort of a try and evaluate situation, or there are alternative anti-depressants, not everybody has the same results from the different types. There are also natural supplements that can be helpful also, 5-HTP, St Johns Wart, etc. Please be sure your doctor knows about any such supplements and do not increase your anti-depressant dosage on your own since there can be serious effects from serotonin overdose.

As far as fogginess and drowsiness, I don't get that with Wellbutrin but did with the SRI types of drug, these drugs do not effect everybody the same. Please get expert medical advice, I think the right dosage/type can be a huge help in coping, just being able to get up off the floor and crawl is a big improvement.

• Members

I loved how you put it....my husband was the best thing to ever happen to me, he was so loving, generous to a fault, I never once in 22 years doubted his love for me, he told me and showed me every day of our lives together and now...losing him is the worse thing I could ever imagine, but I am so fortunate to have had 22 years with him, he made my life richer, fuller, without him I never would have pursued my dream of becoming a nurse, he worked all the overtime he could get for me to go to LVN school, and with his support I finished #1, he pushed me to go back to school to become an RN, supported my work as a hospice nurse with long hours and many nights of being out all night with a dying patient, oh how I love him, and through all this he worked 35 years at the same place, 12 hrs of shift work. He was truly my hero.

I have been on anti depressant since his death, I was a basket case, heck still am a lot of days, they did not fix me, and the fogginess, drowsiness, and lethargy are just a part of this grief process, but it did help but takes at least a month to realize the full effect, and I agree with OldGeek, sometimes it is finding the right one. Don't give up. Blessings to you.

Archived