Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Hallowed ground

angelgirl63

• Members
angelgirl63

The anniversary date of my son, Willie's death is this May 25th. I am requesting brothers' and sisters' in Christ, for your intercessory prayers for the repose of my darling son's soul, as it is most efficacious for him. And if he is already in Heaven, the Immaculate Heart of Mary will most certainly make use of your precious prayers for others in greater need. I am having a Mass said for him that day, which will include a special petition for all the souls of all of our faithfully departed.   

Many thanks for your patience with me in the past. I appreciated your kind words of support a couple months back, especially you, Oneta. My son's murder ripped my family apart and I lied awake for many nights trying to make sense of our perfect world, that collapsed in a matter of minutes. I never blamed God.  I'm sorry if I'm really not comfortable posting about it, because I've reverted back into denial rather than choose to live with the intense grief and hatred. The guilt is tremendous. I often deflect as a form of distraction and self-preservation. So this is a big step for me. I don't expect a lot to understand, especially members who have their own belief systems. But we all grieve regardless.

~ Mary 

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."   ~Saint Thomas Aquinas 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
angelgirl63

[align=center]

O Lord God omnipotent, I beseech You by the Precious Blood, which Your divine Son Jesus shed in the Garden, deliver the souls in purgatory, and especially that one which is the most forsaken of all, and bring it into Your glory, where it may praise and bless You for ever.    Amen.

Sunday.jpg [/align]

[align=center]

Say here:  one Our Father and one Hail Mary

CONCLUDING PRAYERS

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon them.  May they rest in peace.    Amen.

Merciful Father, hear our prayers and console us.   As we renew our faith in Your Son, whom You raised from the dead, strengthen our hope that all our departed brothers and sisters will share in His resurrection, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.    Amen. [/align]

• Members

Dear Angel,

I am so sorry for your loss.

Do you see that all of us dealing with loss do not all share your views of our loved ones, who have lived their life loving their Lord and Savior, Jesus.  Will never spend a moment in purgatory.  Where in scripture is that found?   Hasn't the Pope just done away with that recently? For Catholics?

What we do here on earth before we leave. (Accepting Christ as our Savior) will determine our eternity.  Not the prayers, masses and such done for us after we depart.

I pray your deep pain and loss can in someway be lightened for you.  It is a terrible road to travel.....This road or valley called grief/mourning.

Sincerely, Granny Cheryl

• Members
angelgirl63

Thank you Cheryl for taking the time to share your thoughts, opinions and perspective with me. Yes, I recognize that most people on the board do not share my Catholic Faith.

I am sorry for your losses, too. :(

~Mary

• Members
daniellemom

Angelgirl63,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the anniversay of your son Willie's death that you were able to find some kind of peace if that is possible. I pray that the mass that you held went well.

Sonya (Danielle's Mom)

• Members
angelgirl63

Hi, Sonya!

Thanks for the kind words; I really, really appreciate them! Whenever I have a Mass said, I feel soooo connected, at that moment, with Willie, (or with any of my relatives who have passed over) because anyone who knows the true meaning of the Mass, knows it's Heaven and Earth coming together and Christ is truly present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist. Like Cheryl mentioned though, not all of you are able to comprehend this kind of blind Faith....but it gives me much comfort, especially when I'm having extreme sensations of anxiety and the feeling I'm having an eternal heartattack.

Danielle is so beautiful. I am so sorry for your heartaches, too. 

~Mary

• Members
angelgirl63

Dear Cheryl,

Since you inquired, I private-messaged you the many Scriptural references for the dogma of Purgatory. 

I hope you're having a better day than I am. I am a special education teacher and two of my Behaviorally Disabled students were real 'stinkers' today ~ they can't wait to get out of the Hell, we call School. If they only understood how fortunate they are to be able to attend a privileged school every day. :(

~Mary

• Members
lovekristy4ever

Hello Mary,

I too, am Catholic.  My daughter Kristy is having a mass said for her this Sunday at my mom's church.  I hold in my beliefs but since my daughter's death, I have been reading ALOT on heaven in particular.  I feel this overwhelming need to know that Kristy is okay and I believe she is happy and with God.  I think we all need to do what our hearts and our beliefs tell us. 

I hope that you Willie's mass was a nice service and I wish you and your fmily peace.

Terry

• Members
angelgirl63

Hi, Terry,

I read the article of  Kristy's passing over when you first came to the board... I was soooo sad for her and you and your entire family. What a beautiful young lady.

I'm the type of person that hopes for the best but prepares for the worst, otherwise put, I believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... it would not hurt Kristy's soul for you to continue to pray for her. Hence, the purpose of having Masses said...She may still need your prayers and intercession. You continue to be her mother just as much now, as when she walked this Earth. What better gift for you to give her, right? I believe she will know that you are praying for her... and if she is in Heaven, I believe the prayers will still be used for others in greater need...

Thank you for your post to me. I really, really appreciate it, my dear Sister in Christ.  Remember ~ your guardian angel is by your side 24/7 and there to intercede for you, also. :)

"Angel of God, my Guardian, dear, to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen."

PAX, 

Mary

• Members
angelgirl63

Here is a response, that was voted as the best answer, to a question on answers.yahoo.com, asking to show some sort of reference to Purgatory in Holy Scripture... I cut and paste it because it's an unbiased website and a means to show those who wonder where Catholics get the 'idea' in the first place... for me, it's just more proof of  God's limitless Mercy to believers, even after we pass over...  not really looking for debate, as I do not profess to be a Catholic apologist expert...

Matthew 12:32; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15; Hebrews 12:29; Revelation 21:27; 1 Peter 3:19; 2 Maccabees 12:44-46.

All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:

Matthew 12:32 infers that there is a place, neither heaven or hell, wherein sins will be forgiven in the age to come.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15 talks of the fire of judgment and how one's life will be judged based on the foundations laid by Christ, losing what is impure and keeping that which is pure.

Hebrews 12:29 again reaffirms that God's love consumes what is impure (Deuteronomy 4:24).

Revelation 21:27 tells us that nothing impure shall enter heaven (which is the reason for the purifying fire of judgment).

1 Peter 3:19 tells us of Jesus' preaching to the spirits in prison. What prison? The abode of the dead (Hebrew: sheol, Greek: hades, Latin: purgatio, English: purgatory).

Finally, 2 Maccabees 12:44-46 gives a very clear example but, sadly, it is not in the Protestant Bible.

1 Timothy 3:15 tells us that it is the Church, not the Bible, which gives us all the truth and provides the basis for determining truth or falsity (none of the Church teachings are in conflict with the Holy Scripture.) Matthew 18:17-19 AGAIN tells us that the Church is the final authority.

St. Paul reminds us to live in accordance with all the teachings which have been given to us. We are not to be distracted by those who would try to limit the teachings of the Church. (2 Thess 2:15; 3:6)

http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible

• For more references and clarifications, any one of us can refer to:

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

[align=center]The Bible Teaches Purgatory  [25 min. audio][/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

[align=center]Guardian Angels

Memorial

October 2nd

GuardianAngel.jpg

Pietro da Cortona

The Guardian Angel, 1656

Oil on canvas, 225 x 143 cm

Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica, Rome

[/align]

[align=center] [/align]

[align=center]
Prayer:

Angel of God, my Guardian dear,

to whom His love commits me here,

ever this day be at my side,

to light and guard, to rule and guide, Amen.
[/align]

[align=center]
Latin:

Angele Dei
[/align]

[align=center]
Ángele Dei,

qui custos es mei,

me, tibi commíssum pietáte supérna,

illúmina, custódi,

rege et gubérna.

Amen.
[/align]

[align=center]
angels-sm.GIF
[/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

[align=center]"God of the living and the

dead accept our prayers

for those who have died in

Christ and are buried with

him in the hope of rising

again. In your mercy grant

them eternal rest.  Amen."

[/align]

[align=center] 496310481[/align]

[align=center]ANGEL of GRIEF[/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

Happy Father's Day, dear Lord...

The Trinity and the Incarnation__________________

There is one God in Three Divine Persons (Father, Son and Holy Ghost).  The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God; yet they are not three gods, but One God.  The Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, the Son of God, assumed a human nature and became man from the flesh of the Virgin Mary.  Our Lord Jesus Christ is one Divine Person with two natures: divine and human.  He is God and man.  The Trinity (One God: Father, Son and Holy Ghost) and the Incarnation are the two most essential mysteries of the Catholic Faith which no one above reason can be ignorant of and be saved.  

• Members
angelgirl63

Prayer of the National Catholic Ministry to the Bereaved

Dear God,

Thank you for listening to me —

the sorrows that bind my heart

the fears that circle endlessly in my mind

the memories that make me yearn

for yesterdays long gone.

my constant pleas for relief

my quest to understand

my insecurities and self-doubt

about unknown tomorrows.

as I struggle to regain life’s balance

as I cautiously take each step

as I seek to create a sense of now.

I only ask that you grace me with the patience —

to be still and hear your voice

to trust the fleeting beacons of hope

to know with a deep knowledge

that all will be well again.

Thank you for listening to me.

Help me to listen to You.

+ In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Amen.

• Members
angelgirl63

[align=center]

motherofgod.jpg

O blessed Virgin,

pray to God for us always,

that He may pardon us and give us grace,

that He may grant us peace in this life

that He may reward us with paradise at our death.

Amen.

[/align]

[align=center]mary-rose3.jpg[/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

saintjudethaddeus.gif

Feast Day:

Eastern Calendar - 06/19

Roman Rite Calendar - 10/28

Tridentine Calendar - 10/28

Patron Of: Desperation, Hopeless Cases, Impossible Situations

Son of Cleophas, who died a martyr, and Mary who stood at the foot of the Cross, and who anointed Christ's body after death. Brother of Saint James the Lesser. Nephew of Mary and Joseph; blood relative of Jesus Christ, and reported to look a lot like him. May have been a fisherman. Apostle.

Writer of canonical letter. Preached in Syria, Mesopotamia, and Persia with Saint Simon. Healer. Exorcist. Could exorcise pagan idols, which caused the demons to flee and the statues to crumble.

His patronage of lost or impossible causes traditionally derives from confusion by many early Christians between Jude and Judas; not understanding the difference between the names, they never prayed for Jude's help, and devotion to him became something of a lost cause.

Died

Beaten to death with a club, then beheaded post-mortem in 1st century Persia; relics at Saint Peter's, Rome, at Rheims, and at Toulouse, France

Name Meaning

Sweetness or gentleness of character (Thaddeus)

Most holy apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered thy beloved Master into the hands of His enemies hath caused thee to be forgotten by many, but the Church honors and invokes thee universally as the patron of hopeless cases, of things despaired of. Pray for me, who am so miserable. Make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded to thee, to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly -- (Mention your request) and that I may praise God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor thee as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to thee. Amen.

Saint Jude, Hope of the Hopeless, Pray for me

• Members
angelgirl63

Do Catholics pray TO saints?

We pray with saints, not to them.

Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you when you were having a hard time? Why did you choose to ask that person?

You may have chosen someone you could trust, or someone who understood your problem, or someone who was close to God. Those are all reasons we ask saints to pray for us in times of trouble.

Since saints led holy lives and are close to God in heaven, we feel that their prayers are particularly effective. Often we ask particular saints to pray for us if we feel they have a particular interest in our problem. For example, many people ask Saint Monica to pray for them if they have trouble with unanswered prayers, because Monica prayed for twenty years for her son to be converted. Finally her prayers were answered in a way she never dreamed of -- her son, Augustine, became a canonized saint and a Doctor of the Church.

When did the Church start honoring saints?

By the year 100 A.D., Christians were honoring other Christians who had died, and asking for their intercession. Many people think that honoring saints was something the Church set up later, but it was part of Christianity from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, this practice came from a long-standing tradition in the Jewish faith of honoring prophets and holy people with shrines. The first saints were martyrs, people who had given up their lives for the Faith in the persecution of Christians.

Is keeping statues or pictures of saints idolatry?

Look at the pictures of your loved ones in your wallet or around your home or office. Why do you keep these particular pictures? You might answer that you carry those pictures to remind you of people you love, to help you feel that they're close to you when you're not together, or to share with people you meet. But you probably didn't say you worshipped them. Those are some of the same reasons we have statues and pictures of saints. Seeing a statue of Saint Therese of Lisieux who lost her mother when she was a child might make us feel less alone when we are grieving. A picture of Saint Francis of Assisi might remind us of how much he loved God's creation and make us more aware of our environment.

• Members
daniellemom

Angelgirl63,

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I have been thinking about you and hope that things are going as well as they can for you and your family.

Sonya

• Members
angelgirl63

Spirituality

Sister Lucia of Fatima: “Look, Father, the Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Holy Rosary.  She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations that cannot be solved by the Rosary.  There is no problem I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.  With the Holy Rosary, we will save ourselves.  We will sanctify ourselves.  We will console Our Lord and obtain the salvation of many souls.” (From the 1957 interview with Fr. Fuentes)

[align=center]What IS the Catholic Rosary?

[/align]

[align=center]It is a prayer taken directly from Holy Scripture, with the first part of the Hail Mary taken from the words of the Archangel Gabriel, who called Mary "Full of Grace," and the second part from the lips of Mary's cousin Elizabeth, who exclaimed, "Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb!" The Holy Catholic Rosary is the life and ministry of Jesus, given to us by the Virgin Mary Herself for meditation and prayer, whereby we can learn who Jesus is.

[/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

Hi, Sonya, with a 'y' :) ~ my cousin spells it with an 'i'....

How sweet of you to think of me! I think about you everyday, too, when I look at the avatar of your daughter.

I'm actually in a 'good place' right now.  ( I can't believe it!) My heart has been feeling much better, lately, and I'm not experiencing any anger or hatred (at the moment). I attribute this current reprieve from my emotional 'agonies' to Our Blessed Mother's compassion for my sadness  ~ that's my reason for sharing the Catholic devotion of praying the Holy Rosary on this thread.  I truly believe that much comfort and many graces are being bestowed upon me, through it... it seems to be the best medicine for my soul...  my favorite rosary is the one that my grandfather gave me, before he died... it was his... he got it, while in the Vatican, many, many years ago... 

How is your own heart feeling today?

• Members
angelgirl63

[align=right]I hope it's okay that I share this reply from the thread, "Feeling confused and dazed," from Loss of a Parent.  I find it very enlightening and thought provoking. [/align]

[align=right][user=20080]mranderson[/user] wrote: [/align]

People who have traumatic experiences of loss and/or abandonment tend to be overly sensitive to these feelings. They feel loss and abandonment before it happens and even from others who are not doing anything to merit the judgement and reaction. There is such a NEED to be loved and acknowledged that the person accentuates the risk involved and often sabotages the environment by encouraging those present to become defensive against their imposing and suspicious of their manipulation. The traumatized person experiences more of what they fear, and their fears are reinforced by the negative experiences they unwittingly contrive.

These words may be of help.  We all fear losing love after a traumatic experience.  Just try to trust as much as possible. 

[align=right]    [/align]

• Members
daniellemom

Angelgirl63,

That's great news that you are finding confort! I'm hanging in there. I know that is where I find my confort also. Praying for you always.

Sonya

• Members
daniellemom

Angelgirl63,

That's great news that you are finding confort! I'm hanging in there. I know that is where I find my confort also. Praying for you always.

Sonya

• Members
angelgirl63

The earliest known Marian prayer is the Sub tuum praesidium, or Beneath Thy Protection, dating from late 2nd century. A papyrus dated to c. 250 containing the prayer in Greek was discovered in Egypt in 1917, and is the earliest known reference to the title Theotokos, confirmed by the Council of Ephesus in 431:

Beneath your compassion, We take refuge, O Mother of God: do not despise our petitions in time of trouble: but rescue us from dangers, only pure, only blessed one.

200px-Madonna_catacomb.jpg

The oldest-known image of Mary depicts her nursing the Infant Jesus. Catacomb of Priscilla, Rome (2nd century)

• Members
angelgirl63

It's so exhausting being so sad all the time... so I thought I would share a funny email that actually made me smile today...  please allow me to share an opportunity for you to smile with me, too...

Speeding - Good, Better and Best:

GOOD: Seattle, WA policeman had a perfect spot to watch for speeders, but wasn't getting many. Then he discovered the problem- a 12- year-old boy was standing up the road with a hand painted sign, which read 'RADAR TRAP AHEAD'. The officer also found the boy had an accomplice who was down the road with a sign reading 'TIPS' and a bucket full of money. 

BETTER: A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an automated radar post in Silverdale , WA . A $40 speeding ticket was included. Being cute, he se nt the police department a picture of $40. The police responded with another mailed photo of handcuffs.

BEST: A Young woman was pulled over for speeding. A WA State Trooper walked to her car window, flipping open his ticket book. She said, 'I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the State Trooper's Ball.' He replied, ' Washington State Troopers don't have balls.' There was a moment of silence. He then closed his book, got back in his patrol car and left.

• Members
angelgirl63

Quote:

St. Catherine of Siena to Blessed Raymond Capua: "I saw the pains of Hell and of Purgatory, [which are] so great that no tongue of man is able to declare them.  I saw also the bliss of Heaven and the glory of my Divine Spouse, which only to think of fills my soul with a loathing for all things that are in the world."  (The 33 Doctors of the Church, p. 403)

• Members
angelgirl63

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae,

vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.

ad te clamamus

exsules filii Hevae,

ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes

in hac lacrimarum valle.

Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos

misericordes oculos ad nos converte;

et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,

nobis post hoc exilium ostende.

O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria.

Ora pro nobis sancta Dei Genetrix.

Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi.

Oremus. Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, qui gloriosae Virginis Matris Mariae corpus et animam, ut dignum Filii tui habitaculum effici mereretur, Spiritu Sancto cooperante praeparasti: da, ut cuius commemoratione laetamur; eius pia intercessione, ab instantibus malis, et a morte perpetua liberemur. Per eundem Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,

our life, our sweetness and our hope.

To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve;

to thee do we send up our sighs,

mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.

Turn then, most gracious advocate,

thine eyes of mercy toward us;

and after this our exile,

show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

V./ Pray for us O holy Mother of God,

R./ that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. Almighty, everlasting God, who by the co-operation of the Holy Ghost didst prepare the body and soul of the glorious Virgin-Mother Mary to become a dwelling-place meet for thy Son: grant that as we rejoice in her commemoration; so by her fervent intercession we may be delivered from present evils and from everlasting death. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

• Members
angelgirl63

Our Lady of Sorrows        

THE CHAPLET OF THE

SEVEN DOLORS OF OUR LADY

How to pray the Chaplet of the Seven Dolors of Our Lady

The Chaplet of the Seven Dolors of Our Lady has a total of 58 beads and a medal of the first dolor. There is a total of 7 sets of 7 beads, with 3 additional beads and a crucifix. On each of the seven beads if prayed the
. On the separating beads is prayed the
. On the 3 additional beads is prayed the
in remembrance of the tears of Mary that were shed because of the suffering of her Divine Son. These are said to obtain true sorrow for our sins.

The 7 groups of 7 Hail Mary's are recited in remembrance of the Seven Sorrows of Mary, namely:

1. The Prophecy of Simeon.

2. The flight into Egypt.

3. The loss of the Child Jesus.

4. Mary meets Jesus carrying His Cross.

5. The crucifixion.

6. Mary receives the body of Jesus from the Cross.

7. The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb.

After each set of seven beads is said the following prayer:

V. Pray for us, O most sorrowful Virgin.

R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Concluding prayer:

Lord Jesus, we now implore,

both for the present

and for the hour of our death,

the intercession of the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Thy Mother,

whose holy soul was pierced

at the time of Thy Passion by a sword of grief.

Grant us this favour,

O Saviour of the world,

Who livest and reignest

with the Father and the Holy Spirit

for ever and ever.

Amen.

According to St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373), seven promises were made to those who medidate on Our Lady's Tears and Dolors. The Blessed Virgin grants seven graces to the souls who honour her daily by saying seven Hail Marys while meditating on her tears and dolors. These are:

1. "I will grant peace to their families."

2. "They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries."

3. "I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work."

4. "I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls."

5. "I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives."

6. "I will visibly help them at the moment of their death - they will see the face of their mother."

7. "I have obtained this grace from my Divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy."

• Members
angelgirl63

St. Louis De Montfort: “In the heavens Mary commands the angels and the blessed.  As a recompense, God has empowered Her and commissioned Her to fill with saints the empty thrones from which the apostate angels fell by pride.” (True Devotion to Mary, #28)

Doctrine

Pope Eugene IV: “Holy baptism, which is the gateway to the spiritual life, holds the first place among all the sacraments; through it we are made members of Christ and of the body of the Church.  And since death entered the universe through the first man, ‘unless we are born of water and the Spirit, we cannot,’ as the Truth says, ‘enter into the kingdom of heaven’ [John 3:5].  The matter of this sacrament is real and natural water.” (Council of Florence, “Exultate Deo,” 1439)

• Members

Anglegirl63,   Sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for thinking of me. I know you understand... Please forgive me. Im living one day at a time and sometimes a breath at a time. My son was so beautiful, it is such a tragedy that he died the way he did. When my time comes I know I will follow him... Thats the best I can hope for now. The bible does not give me comfort and I can find no understanding in it. However... the words of all the great mystics and prophets do have meaning to me. I do what is right regardless of my personal benefit in this world or the other. My mother is catholic and prays for her grandson regularly...but then she always has... I found peace in the realization of my own mortality; as a catholic does in their eternity. I need no reward after this life, but feel hyper sensitive to my actions in this time and place. I do not fear.......I live my life with love.  Neveragain.

• Members
angelgirl63

Particular Judgment

A. Dogma of Particular Judgment

The Catholic doctrine of the particular judgment is this: that

immediately after death the eternal destiny of each separated soul

is decided by the just judgment of God. Although there has been no

formal definition on this point, the dogma is clearly implied in

the Union Decree of Eugene IV (1439), which declares that souls

leaving their bodies in a state of grace, but in need of

purification are cleansed in Purgatory, whereas souls that are

perfectly pure are at once admitted to the beatific vision of the

Godhead (ipsum Deum unum et trinum) and those who depart in actual

mortal sin, or merely with original sin, are at once consigned to

eternal punishment, the quality of which corresponds to their sin

(paenis tamen disparibus). The doctrine is also in the profession

of faith of Michael Palaeologus in 1274, in the Bull "Benedictus

Deus" of Benedict XII, in 1336, and in the professions of faith of

Gregory XIII and Benedict XIV.

B. Existence of Particular Judgment Proved from Scripture

Ecclesiastes 11:9; 12:1 sq.; and Hebrews 9:27, are sometimes

quoted in proof of the particular judgment, but though these

passages speak of a judgment after death, neither the context nor

the force of the words proves that the sacred writer had in mind a

judgment distinct from that at the end of the world. The

Scriptural arguments in defence of the particular judgment must be

indirect. There is no text of which we can certainly say that it

expressly affirms this dogma but there are several which teach an

immediate retribution after death and thereby clearly imply a

particular judgment. Christ represents Lazarus and Dives as

receiving their respective rewards immediately after death. They

have always been regarded as types of the just man and the sinner.

To the penitent thief it was promised that his soul instantly on

leaving the body would be in the state of the blessed: "This day

thou shalt be with me in Paradise" (Luke 23:43). St. Paul (II

Corinthians 5) longs to be absent from the body that he may be

present to the Lord, evidently understanding death to be the

entrance into his reward (cf. Philemon 1:21 sq.). Ecclesiasticus

11:28-29 speaks of a retribution at the hour of death, but it may

refer to a temporal punishment. The other texts that

have been quoted are sufficient to establish the strict conformity

of the doctrine with Scripture teaching. (Cf. Acts 1:25;

Apocalypse 20:4-6, 12-14.)

Provided by:

Eternal Word Television Network

• Members

I admire your faith. Everyone finds theyr own path to try to cope with athe loss of a loved one being a son, daughter , husband or parent. I don't believe in God the whole notion to is too absurd to even conceive. It's just a way to try to make sense and to find a reason for our existance. Man has been trying to find a reason for living since the beginning of time, first it was the sun, the moon, the elements, the thunder, lightning etc..

But I do admire the people that can find solace in faith it must be an enormous help. As far as I am concerned my only God is my conscience.  I envy your faith it must help  I wish I had your faith may be I would miss my husbnd less maybe the pain would be less heartwrenching. Love Carla

• Members
angelgirl63

I hear you Carla... and I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband to eternity. You sound so lonely and abandoned, sweetheart. Let me offer you some ideas to consider...

I watched a program on the Science Channel last night. It was about the Earth's timeline and where Man finds himself in it. The host/narrator went on and on about evolution, speaking about it, as if it were fact. (which is dishonest, because it's actually a theory, that even Darwin didn't hold in it's current modern explanation) I found it interesting how quickly and nonchalantly the host passed over the 'fact' that scientists are unable to offer any explanations as to how something non-living just suddenly and inexplicable became a single-celled living organism. Funny, how most scientists refuse to address the plausible 'theory' of a Master of the Universe.

Now if what you say is true, Carla and the Master of the Universe - God -  is actually your conscience... then my prayers, along with the prayers of all true Christians are being delivered at your front door... kinda reminds me of the movie, Bruce Almighty with Jim Carey... and you don't want the job of God, Carla...  it sounds silly, doesn't it, but that is what you're telling me, my dear friend... and trust me, I'm not trying to be disrespetful to you in any way, shape or form... it's just something you may want to reconsider when you tell someone that your only God is your conscience... perhaps....

Perhaps you may want to consider that your conscience, is actually your eternal soul... a soul that will one day meet God, just as your husband did, when he died... just as my son did, when he died... just as you and I will, one day... but hopefully, not today... especially if we have loved ones who are still counting on us, here on Earth...

Try to do something that will make you happy today, Carla... it will be good for your body and soul... I like to ride my new, 'retro' bike around... it's a beneficial, 'temporary' escape, as I'm sure you know what I mean... and then maybe you can try to look up into the heavens and say a little prayer to My God for discernment... My God is known to send down actual graces for those who are of good will... ;)

PS  As you can see, I'm having a good day... catch me on a sad day, and I may not be a good person to lean on...

• Members
angelgirl63

Hi, 'Neveragain'... it IS a tragedy how your son was lost and how sad it is, that you can't undo it...  I've said it so many times, and I'll say it again ~ how I wish I could invent a time machine...

it's okay not to understand the Bible... you're in the majority...  most people don't comprehend it's true meaning and even come up with their own translations and personal interpretations... I  assure you that understanding the Bible or memorizing it's verses and passages isn't even necessary, in order to be 'saved' from Hell... but it does help explain some things... 

I can see how it doesn't offer you any comfort right now... but realizing your own mortality is truly just the beginning...  You say you need no reward after this life... don't you hope for eternal happiness, without the rigors and letdowns of daily life... to be with our faithfully departed family and friends...

PS  I love reading about Catholic mystics and visionaries... I have many, many books about the after life and it's amazing how God has sent these saintly people, the kinds of graces that He has, that they have shared with us (not to be confused with false apparitions/messages that so many try to pawn off as from God ~ that's where discernment comes in - to recognize when the devil appears as an Angel of Light, as the Bible warns us in 2 Corinthians 11:14)...  I especially found the children of Fatima and the miracle of the sun a real eye opener... their visions of Hell are motivating enough to lead a sinless life and desire an eternal reward over eternal damnation... heavy stuff, but that's how I think...

• Members
angelgirl63

355166182         3816216364         1986143270 

SHROUD OF TURIN

This is the only 'photograph' we have of Christ ~ found on a 1st century cloth, that was used to wrap His lifeless Body. Upon His resurrection, an imprint was miraculously left for all the world to see. The Shroud will be on display again in 2010. I wonder what it's like when our faithfully departed loved ones see Him face to face.  I wonder what it was like for my baby...   

The Nicene Creed

We believe in God, the Father, the Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

and all that is seen and unseen.  

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, Light from Light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation

he came down from heaven:

by the power of the Holy Spirit

he was born of the Virgin Mary,

and became man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered, died, and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in fulfilment of the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory

to judge the living and the dead,

and His kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit,

the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son

he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come.

[align=center]In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.[/align]

• Members
angelgirl63

spaceball.gif

The first rosary beads 

Regarding the Holy Rosary, Sister Lucia told Father Fuentes in a famous 1957 interview:

"Look, Father, the Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Holy Rosary. She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary. With the Holy Rosary, we will save ourselves. We will sanctify ourselves. We will console Our Lord and obtain the salvation of many souls."

It’s also very important and effective to have devotion to certain saints.  Here are some great ones to have a devotion to:

Prayer to St. Therese

Prayers to St. Benedict

Prayers to St. Joseph

Prayer to St. Philomena

What great and powerful friends we have in Heaven, who are so willing to help us, here on Earth!  While we exercise the gift of our own Free Wills, my pray is that we discern the Will of Our Father... and that they coincide...   this was not the case, when my son was murdered   :(

• Members
angelgirl63

LondonTitle3.png

Thinking of my fellow grieving Sisters in Christ, especially Terry and Aurora.

I am unable to edit out the 'words' ... but I love the painting and I wanted to share it with all of you. It depicts the exact moment of transubstantiation, and where Heaven and Earth come together, in our midst.  How privileged some saints were to receive the actual graces from God to physically see the thousands of holy angels gather around the altar of Christ, and adore the Holy Eucharist ~ the actual Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity Christ. This is the moment when I thank Our Lord for my own privileged life, yet at the same time,  petition Him for relief of heart. 

PAX

• Members

Angelgirl, you put such beautiful comforting pictures and prayers on here. They help pull me up and beyond my grief and remind me of the spiritual realm where I should dwell.

• Members
angelgirl63

I am very happy to do this for you, my dear friend, Aurora... it makes me happy and sad, at the very same time, to do this for you. Your heart has touched mine in a very, kind way. To make another person feel needed can be the best medicine and most thoughtful gift. Thank you for your sweet encouragement.  I pray that your heart feels a greater sense of relief today! xo!

• Members

Angelgirl, that is an absolutely awesome photograph you put on in black and white.I was blown away by its' magnificence. You are truly a spiritual person that shows the love of God.You are remarkable!

• Members
angelgirl63

Reaalllyyy???!?!?  What is the photograph? I can't remember. I'm glad you liked it though! Sometimes a photo, sculpture or painting can be soooo moving, and I can't help myself from sharing it.

When I was in Rome for the first time during Christmas and New Year's Eve, 2006/2007, I was overwhelmed by all the preserved, historical art work of the Church. It was really awesome being in the presence of such great influence, that 'til then, I only experienced through books or television. :)  I recommend a pilgrimage to anyone who is able to do it.  

Now, I'd like to plan a trip to Jerusalem to experience the Holy City. My girlfriend wants me to go with her in October...  I'd love to see and touch all the landmarks there! One of my favorite 'Jesus' movies is, "The Passion of the Christ." Our Blessed Mother most certaily knows what it feels like to lose a Son so brutally. I remember writing Mel and supporting his efforts. To think at one point he couldn't find anyone to help him release it.. what a loss that would have been.  I pray for him often. 

Are you having a good day?

• Members
angelgirl63

Sorrowful Mother of God

St. Louis De Montfort: “… the greatest saints, the souls richest in graces and virtues, shall be the most assiduous in praying to our Blessed Lady, and in having her always present as their perfect model for imitation and their powerful aid for help.” (True Devotion to Mary #46)

• Members

The Beautiful Infant Jesus

I humbly recommend this efficacious prayer to my Brothers and Sisters in Christ, whose Free Will may sometimes be easily led astray, and for those who feel disappointment or contempt towards their family members and friends since the loss of their loved one...

Prayer to be Said Every Day to Obtain the Graces Necessary for Salvation, by Saint Alphonsus

Eternal Father, Thy Son has promised that Thou wilt grant us all the graces which we ask Thee for in His name. In the name, therefore, and by the merits of Jesus Christ, I ask the following graces for myself and for all mankind:

And first, I pray Thee to give me a lively faith in all that the holy Roman Church teaches me. Enlighten me also, that I may know the vanity of the goods of this world, and the immensity of the Infinite Good that Thou art; make me also see the deformity of the sins I have committed, that I may humble myself and detest them as I ought; and, on the other hand, show me how worthy Thou art, by reason of Thy goodness, that I should love Thee with all my heart. Make me know also the love Thou has borne me, that from this day forward I may try to be grateful for so much goodness.

Secondly, give me a firm confidence in Thy mercy of receiving the pardon of my sins, holy perseverance, and, finally, the glory of paradise, through the merits of Jesus Christ and the intercession of Mary.

Thirdly, give me a great love toward Thee, which shall detach me from the love of this world and of myself, so that I may love none other but Thee, and that I may neither do nor desire anything else but what is for Thy glory.

Fourthly, I beg of Thee a perfect resignation to Thy will, in accepting with tranquility sorrows, infirmities, contempt, persecutions, aridity of spirit, loss of property, of esteem, of relations, and every other cross which shall come to me from Thy hands. I offer myself entirely to Thee, that thou mayest do with me, and all that belongs to me, what thou pleasest; do Thou only give me light and strength to do Thy will, and, especially at the hour of death, help me to sacrifice my life to Thee with all the affection I am capable of, in union with the sacrifice which Thy Son Jesus Christ made of His life on the cross of Calvary.

Fifthly, I beg of Thee a great sorrow for my sins, which may make me grieve over them as long as I live, and weep for the insults I have offered Thee, the Sovereign Good, who art worthy of infinite love, and who hast loved me so much.

Sixthly, I pray Thee to give me the spirit of true humility and meekness, that I may accept with peace, and even with joy, all the contempt, ingratitude and ill-treatment that I may receive. At the same time I also pray Thee to give me perfect charity, which shall make me wish well to those who have done evil to me, and to do what good I can, at least by praying, for those who have in any way injured me.

Seventhly, I beg of Thee to give me a love for the virtue of holy mortification, by which I may chastise my rebellious senses, and cross my self-love; at the same time I beg Thee to give me holy purity of body, and the grace to resist all bad temptations, by ever having recourse to Thee and Thy most Holy Mother.

Give me the grace faithfully to obey my spiritual father and all my superiors in all things. Give me an upright intention, that in all I desire and do I may seek only Thy glory, and to please Thee alone. Give me a great confidence in the Passion of Jesus Christ, and in the intercession of Mary Immaculate. Give me a great love toward the most Adorable Sacrament of the Altar, and a tender devotion and love to Thy Holy Mother. Give me, I pray Thee, above all, holy perseverance, and the grace always to pray for it, especially in time of temptation and at the hour of death.

Lastly, I recommend to Thee the holy souls in Purgatory, my relations and benefactors; and in a special manner I recommend to Thee all those who hate me, or who have in any way offended me; I beg of Thee to render them good for the evil they have done, or may wish to do me. I also recommend to Thee all infidels, heretics, and all poor sinners; give them light and strength to deliver themselves from sin. O, most loving God, make Thyself known and loved by all, but especially by those who have been more ungrateful to Thee than others, so that by Thy goodness I may come one day to sing Thy mercies in paradise; for my hope is in the merits of Thy Blood, and in the patronage of Mary. O Mary, Mother of God, pray to Jesus for me! So I hope; so may it be!

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

• Members

Christ's Agony in the Garden

My prayer is that we perservere in our Faith, Hope and Love, while we grieve the loss of our children...  I share this painting because I find comfort in knowing that an Angel from Heaven came down to even console Christ, who is God, Himself, made man.  His human nature is most revealing in His own need for consolation, while He grieved and agonized. 

Be assured, those of our children who have attained God's Eternal Reward or who are still in Purgatory, pray for our eternal salvation...  our little intercessors look out for us, more than we know... :)    so, please, remember to honor your child by praying for them, just in case they left this Earth in a state of venial sin ~ they may still require our parental prayers.... 

Jesus' Teaching on Losing Salvation

Matt. 7:18 - Jesus says that sound trees bear good fruit. But there is no guarantee that a sound tree will stay sound. It could go rotten.

Matt. 7:21 - all those who say "Lord, Lord" on the last day will not be saved. They are judged by their evil deeds.

Matt. 12:30-32 - Jesus says that he who is not with Him is against Him, therefore (the Greek for "therefore" is "dia toutos" which means "through this") blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. This means that failing to persevere in Jesus' grace to the end is the unforgivable sin against the Spirit. We must persevere in faith to the end of our lives.

Matt. 22:14 - Jesus says many are called but few are chosen. This man, who was destined to grace, was at God's banquet, but was cast out.

Luke 8:13 - Jesus teaches that some people receive the word with joy, but they have no root, believe for a while, and then fall away in temptation. They had the faith but they lost it.

Luke 12:42-46 - we can start out as a faithful and wise steward, then fall away and be assigned to a place with the unfaithful.

Luke 15:11-32 – in the parable of the prodigal son, we learn that we can be genuine sons of the Father, then leave home and die, then return and be described as "alive again."

John 6:70-71 - Jesus chose or elected twelve, yet one of them, Judas, fell. Not all those predestined to grace persevere to the end.

John 15:1-10 - we can be in Jesus (a branch on the vine), and then if we don't bear fruit, are cut off, wither up and die. Paul makes this absolutely clear in Rom. 11:20-23.

John 17:12 - we can be given to Jesus by the Father (predestined to grace) and yet not stay with Jesus, like Judas.

John 6:37 - those who continue to come to Jesus He won't cast out. But it's a continuous, ongoing action. We can leave Jesus and He will allow this because He respects our freewill.

John 6:39 - Jesus will not lose those the Father gives Him, but we can fall away, like Judas. God allows us not to persevere.

John 6:40 - everyone who sees the Son and believes means the person "continues" to believe. By continuing to believe, the person will persevere and will be raised up. Belief also includes obedience, which is more than an intellectual belief in God.

John 6:44 - Jesus says no one can come to me unless the Father "draws" him. This "drawing" is an ongoing process.

John 10:27-28 - when Jesus says, "no one shall snatch them out of my hands," He does not mean we can't leave His hands. We can choose to walk away from Him.

Rev. 2:4-5 – Jesus tells the Ephesians that they abandoned the love they had at first and have fallen. Jesus warns them to repent and do the works they did at first, otherwise He will remove their lampstand (their awaited place in heaven).

Rev. 3:4 - in Sardis, Jesus explained that some people received the white garment and soiled it with sin.

Rev. 3:5 - Jesus says whoever conquers will not be blotted out of the book of life (see Exodus 32:33). This means that we can be blotted out of the book of life. We can have salvation, and then lose salvation by our choice.

Rev. 3:11 - Jesus says to hold fast to what we have, so that no one may seize our crown. Jesus teaches us that we can have the crown of salvation and lose it.

Rev. 13:10; 14:12 - we are called from heaven for the endurance and faith of the saints, keeping the commandments and faith.

Rev. 21:7 - we must conquer in order to share in our heritage and become a true son or daughter of Jesus.

Rev. 22:19 - we can have a share in the tree of life in God's holy city and yet have that share taken away from us.

From ~ http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html

• Members

luke16-19.jpg

Luke 16:26  "...between us and you a great gulf has been fixed, to prevent those who want to cross from our side to yours or from your side to ours."

And here we are ~ living and breathing, experiencing our own separate worlds and realities, here on Earth... while our departed loved ones are unable to cross over to us anymore... regardless of what side of the gulf they're in...

• Members

Regarding Free Will and Sin:

"...God doesn't interfere with people's free will, and it is that free will that causes us a lot of trouble. If we don't control our free will, we will get into a mess all the time. The Master just stands by, because free will is the most privileged, the most honored gift that humans get..."

Spoken by Ching Hai 

This is somewhat how the Church explains it, too.  God allows 'situations' to occur because He won't interfere with our Free Will.  In the mean time, God knows who is ultimately of good will or bad will.  God, and God alone, knows whose names are in the Book of Life. To say otherwise, is presumptuous and arrogant.  We are cautioned that He can blot names out.  (Revelations 3:5) He doesn't force us to love Him and abide in His commandments.  In turn, so many of us suffer the consequences and sinful choices of others, that are irreversable...  especially those choices made by our own family members and friends... 

Did God want my child to be murdered? No. Murder is a sin. (Obviously, this does not include self-defense or the protection of another.) But He allowed it to happen.  He didn't 'bring' my child home... He was there on stand by and was forced to receive him.

• Members

trinity-mary-velazquez-19g.jpg

August 22nd

Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Devotion to the immaculate Heart of Mary is primarily based upon the Sacred Scriptures. In the New 'Testament, there are two references to the Heart of Mary in the Gospel according to St. Luke: .."Mary treasured all these things and reflected on them in her heart." ( Lk 2: 19 ) and "His mother meanwhile kept all these things in her heart." (Lk 2:51 ) In the Old Testament, the heart is seen as the symbol of the depths of the human soul, the center of its choices and commitments. For all mankind, it is a symbol of love. In the Book of Deuteronomy we are told, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength." ( Dt. 6:5 ) When Our Lord Jesus Christ was asked by the scribes which was the first commandment, he answered them by quoting this verse to them. (Mk. 12:29-31)

It was the Heart of Mary which expressed her "yes" to God. .This was her response to the message sent through the angel at the Annunciation. By her loving consent, Mary first conceived Christ in her heart and then in her womb. Our Lord Jesus, Himself: when reminded by a woman in the crowd how blessed was the womb which gave birth to Him, responds, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it."

********************************************************************************************

My prayer will be for Our Heavenly Mother to touch our grieving hearts with consolation. 

• Members

crux-rain.gif

Our Individual Suffering....

Matt. 10:38 - Jesus said, "he who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." Jesus defines discipleship as one's willingness to suffer with Him. Being a disciple of Jesus not only means having faith in Him, but offering our sufferings to the Father as He did.

Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34 - Jesus said, "if any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Jesus wants us to empty ourselves so that God can fill us. When we suffer, we can choose to seek consolation in God and become closer to Jesus.

Luke 9:23 - Jesus says we must take up this cross daily. He requires us to join our daily temporal sacrifices (pain, inconvenience, worry) with His eternal sacrifice.

Luke 14:27 - Jesus said, "whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple." If we reject God because we suffer, we fail to apply the graces that Jesus won for us by His suffering.

John 7:39 - Jesus was first glorified on the cross, not just the resurrection. This text refers to John 19:34, when Jesus was pierced on the cross by the soldier's lance.

John 12:24 - unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone and bears no fruit. Jesus is teaching that suffering and death are part of every human life, and it is only through suffering and death that we obtain the glory of resurrection.

Rom. 5:2-3 - Paul says that more than rejoicing in our hope, we rejoice in our sufferings which produces endurance, character and hope. Through faith, suffering brings about hope in God and, through endurance, salvation.

Rom. 8:17 - Paul says that we are heirs with Christ, but only if we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with Him. Paul is teaching that suffering must be embraced in order to obtain the glory that the Father has bestowed upon Jesus.

Rom. 8:18 - the sufferings of the present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. We thus have hope that any sufferings we or others endure, no matter how difficult, will pale in comparison to the life of eternal bliss that awaits us.

1 Cor. 1:23- Paul preaches a Christ crucified, not just risen. Catholic spirituality focuses on the sacrifice of Christ which is the only means to the resurrection. This is why Catholic churches have crucifixes with the corpus of Jesus affixed to them. Many Protestant churches no longer display the corpus of Jesus (only an empty cross). Thus, they only preach a Christ risen, not crucified.

1 Cor. 2:2 - Paul preaches Jesus Christ and Him crucified. While the cross was the scandal of scandals, and is viewed by the non-Christian eye as defeat, Catholic spirituality has always exalted the paradox of the cross as the true tree of life and our means to salvation.

2 Cor. 1:5-7- if we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort as well. If we unite our sufferings with His, we will be comforted by Him.

2 Cor. 4:10 – Paul writes that we always carry in the body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. Christ has allowed room in His Body for our sufferings, and our sufferings allow room for Christ to bring us to life.

2 Cor. 4:11 - while we live we are always being given up to death for Jesus' sake so that His life may be manifested in our flesh. This proves the Catholic position that our sufferings on earth are united with Jesus in order to bring about Jesus' life in us.

2 Cor. 12:9-10 - Jesus' grace is sufficient, for His power is made perfect in weakness. If we are weak, we are strong in Christ. Our self-sufficiency decreases, so Christ in us can increase.

Eph. 3:13 - Do not to lose heart over my sufferings for your glory. Our suffering also benefits others in the mystical body of Christ.

Phil. 1:29 - for the sake of Christ we are not only to believe in Him but also to suffer for His sake. Growing in holiness requires more than having faith in God and accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. We must also willfully embrace the suffering that befalls us as part of God's plan. Thus, Christ does not want our faith alone, but our faith in action which includes faith in suffering.

Phil. 3:10 - Paul desires to share in Christ's sufferings in order to obtain the resurrection. Paul recognizes the efficacy of suffering as a means of obtaining holiness which leads to resurrection and eternal life. There is no Easter Sunday without Good Friday.

Col. 1:24 - Paul rejoices in his sufferings and completes what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body. This proves the Catholic position regarding the efficacy of suffering. Is there something lacking in Christ's sufferings? Of course not. But because Jesus loves us so much, He allows us to participate in His redemptive suffering by leaving room in His mystical body for our own suffering. Our suffering, united with our Lord's suffering, furthers the work of His redemption.

2 Thess. 1:5 - we may be made worthy of the kingdom of God for which we are suffering. This is because suffering causes us to turn to God and purifies us from sin.

2 Tim. 1:8 - Paul instructs Timothy to share in suffering for the Gospel. Suffering is not to be asked for, but it is also not to be avoided. For the sake of the Gospel, it is to be embraced.

2 Tim. 2:3 - Paul says to take our share of sufferings as a good soldier in Christ. Sufferings atone for the temporal effects of our sin.

2 Tim. 3:12 - all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But this persecution unites us more closely to Jesus and repairs our relationship with God.

2 Tim. 4:5 - Paul instructs Timothy to endure suffering to fulfill his ministry. As evangelists, we suffer with Christ for the Gospel.

Heb. 12:5-7 - do not lose courage when you are punished, for the Lord disciplines whom He loves. The Lord loves each one of us more than we love ourselves, and will only permit suffering if it brings about our salvation.

Heb. 12:11 - this discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

James 4:8-10 - we must purify our hearts and grieve, mourn and wail, changing our laughter into morning and joy to gloom.

1 Peter 1:6 - Peter warns us that we may have to suffer various trials. Peter does not want us to be discouraged by this reality, but understand that such suffering purifies us and prepares us for union with God.

1 Peter 2:19-21 - Peter instructs that we have been called to endure pain while suffering for Christ, our example. God actually calls us to suffer as His Son did, and this is not to diminish us, but to glorify us, because it is by our suffering that we truly share in the eternal priesthood of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 4:1-2 - Peter says whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin to live not by the flesh but by the will of God. Our suffering furthers our growth in holiness which is the aim of Catholic life.

1 Peter 4:13 - Peter says to rejoice in Christ's sufferings in order to rejoice and be glad when Christ's glory is revealed. Those who suffer with faith in Christ will rejoice in His glory.

1 Peter 4:16 - if we suffer as Christians, we should not be ashamed but glorify God.

1 Peter 5:10 - after we have suffered, the God of all grace will restore, establish and strengthen us. God promises us that our suffering will ultimately be followed by glory.

Rev. 11:3 - Jesus gives power to His witnesses clothed in sackcloth. By virtue of our priesthood, we suffer to repair our relationship with God for sins that He has already forgiven us. As priests, we atone for the temporal punishments due to our sin.

Home 

Archived