Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Missing my protector!

lgodbee1

• Members

My brother, Shane, died on April 11, 2013. He was 38 years old and was very healthy! He went to work on April 8 and didn't come home. Instead we received a phone call from a man he worked with saying that we needed to get to the hospital immediately. Since he was a lineman and had been shocked before, all our minds went to the possibility that had happened again. Wrong! When we got there no one would tell us what was going on. We sat in the ER family waiting room for around 2 hours with no word as to what the situation was. We all knew that whatever it was that it wasn't good. While waiting his coworkers shared what they had experienced. He was sitting in the truck talking and all of a sudden he took a deep breath in and slumped over. His coworkers immediately got him out of the truck and started doing CPR till the ambulance came. CPR was performed on him for around 45 minutes till they got to the hospital and got him stabilized. His wife, 16 year old son, and our parents got to go back and see him first. His son immediately came out hitting doors and crying. Then, as his sister, I got to go back and see him. I wasn't prepared to see him slouched over and tubes running everywhere. This was my hero, my protector, looking so weak. His eyes were open and we all talked to him and he responded by blinking. I told him that I loved him and he blinked at me. When his wife talked to him about his children (the absolute loves of his life) he even had tears escape. This was extremely hard to watch since he was not the type to show that kind of emotion. Over the next few days he was put on life support and lost consciousness. We tried to get him to wake up and kept vigil at his bed day and night, I was not leaving him! We prayed for answers and they told us that he had a blood clot that traveled to his lungs and caused a massive heart attack. We then found out that he was more than likely brain dead due to the lack of oxygen while receiving CPR. On that Wednesday night we prayed harder as a family for answers and what to do next. After that prayer his heart rate slowed and his fever spiked at 107.7. We knew God was telling us to let go. So we took him off the ventilator the next morning. This was the hardest thing I had ever witnessed, as he is only 2 years older than me. The next few days were extremely hard to get through.His 11 year old daughter took it really hard because she was daddy's girl. Where her daddy was, she was.

His funeral was such a testimony to the man he was. Our church was overflowing with people he had touched. There were chairs set up, people standing, our fellowship hall and basement were full and people were standing out in the rain to show their support. Not only was my brothers death hard on the family but our whole community. We had no idea that his life was such a testimony to others. He was just a hard worker, loving father, son, brother, uncle and friend.

I'm just having such a hard time because he was my only sibling. We didn't have to talk everyday to know that the other was there. We didn't even have to say "I love you" it was just understood. I spent every Friday with my parents, my brother and his family, supporting his son in ball. Then we were together most Saturdays doing family things, and every Sunday we were in church together and eat afterwards together at my mom's house. But now I wish I had told him how much I loved him all those years. He was my hero and always kept a watch on me. Even as a 36 year old adult if we were at a ballgame together and I got up to go somewhere he was watching to make sure I was ok. This may have gone unnoticed to a lot of people but I could always look up and find his eyes watching...

Our parents are getting older and now its up to me, even though I know that my husband, kids, sister in law, niece and nephew will help, it's just not the same. He was supposed to be there to help me and talk to. Nobody feels the same way about our parents as he did. We were and are really close to our parents, talking to them 3-4 times a day. I just feel like I don't know who I am with out him! Really stuggling!

Lindsay

• Members

Lindsay, I am very sorry about the loss of your brother. He sounds like a wonderful person, and of course you are struggling to figure out how to move forward. My brother died in an automobile wreck, and I certainly know how the shock and horror of such a trauma can leave a person reeling as though in some sort of weird, slow motion foggy existence. I know it doesn't help much now, but it will get better. While life will not be like it was, it will become a new normal, and you will eventually find your way. In the meantime, cry, laugh, and allow yourself to feel. Talking about him with your family will help all of you. Our community can also offer you support and encouragement. We will be here when you want to talk. --ModKonnie

• Members

ModKonnie, Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm sorry for you loss as well. It's nice to finally be able to share feelings with someone who understands. :)

• Members

You are most welcome. :) There are many here who have lost siblings. I hope you feel free to join in their conversations. A good way to deal with your own emotional turmoil is to reach out to others in similar situations. It'll help you too. --ModKonnie

Archived