Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

panic attacks

tiffanycrash

• Members
tiffanycrash

Is anyone else suffering from panic attacks since the loss of your loved one? Like your chest is caving in or your throat is gonna close up or just like you are going to die soon. They started again when my mom passed away an I can't shake them.

• Members

I used to get anxiety attacks, the last one was about 1 month ago. They would always trigger while I was driving, I would feel like I was in a dream state, that everything seemed to be like in a vortex or something, blood pressure would go up, I would start seeing black spots, rapid breathing... I feel them coming on at times, but I try to keep busy.. I've read on the internet that the best thing to do is to just have it and not keep everything in, but uhm, while driving I can't really let that happen. I stopped driving for a while, when it got better. I recommend going out on walks or some physical activity to let all that energy and stress out, it worked a bit for me..

M.

• Members
Lostwithoutmum

Really sorry for your loss and hope you have the support you need around you...

I don't know how to describe what I am going through myself but panic is certainly overwhelming...

For the first two weeks after mum passed away, I was dysfunctional, couldn't eat, could't interact, was not conscious of the time, the date, of who was there at the funeral..who tried to comfort me/who hugged me/ etc..

And since mum's passing I have been feeling stuck between this world and 'beyond'..trying to look through an opaque window in search of mum...numb, furious, taken aback, withdrawn, faithless, devastated and very low, let down, and yes in physical and mental agony- all at the same time..some feelings are strong one moment, vague and buried inside my heart the next but there nonetheless....

At the moment, I just miss her so so so much ...it's unbearable...

Will just have to take it one hour at a time...

• Members
tiffanycrash

M..yes rapid breathing I forgot about that one. Sometimes its like I can't catch my breath or I can't take a deep breath. I'm a stay at home mom and homeschooling my youngest son so he takes up most of my day. (how ever lately we haven't been getting much school work done.) Most of the time mine are at night when I'm trying to sleep an my mind starts going and going.

lostwithoutmum sorry about the passing of your mom. I understand the fog you speak of. I don't remember but bits an pieces of my moms funeral. I too am still numb angry and still in disbelief. Yes taking it hour by hour is all we can do.

• Members

Oh yeah, at night time those sneaky little bastards come up as well ( anxiety/panic attacks ) .. For a while all I could imagine were my grandparents image at the funeral when I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. I live in Mexico ( but I'm a US Citizen ) , so here we have the wake the next day of their passing, or the same day... for my dad I waited 2 days, so my mom could fly in ( they were separated ).. So it's traumatic and at the same time it helps you get some form of closure. I could never do it like in the States, where you have to wait like a week and then do the service whenever, I guess since I grew up with this culture it's very normal for me. Anyways, I could always see them at the wake, and I would start breathing really heavily, rapid heart beat etc etc...

My dad's funeral was the worst of them 3.. My dad always sported a mustache, and while at the hospital they had to shave his face completely... he looked so weird. Then we dressed him in unfamiliar clothing ( to me ) , He always hung out around the house with his shorts, slippers and a polo shirt.... So in the trance of devastation that I was at the funeral, I didn't recognize him and I kept yelling ( they say ) " that's not my dad!" ... anxiety thing mixed in with other things= not a good result.

Have you spoken to the doctor on what you can take to relieve the anxiety/panic attacks? Try something natural if you want/can .. drink calming teas... I've always been afraid of taking harsh drugs to relieve them..

M.

• Members
tiffanycrash

Quietman sorry about the passing of your dad..I've had them before, they stopped for awhile but now they are back in full swing.

M.

Wow I don't know it happened that quickly there.

Because of the way my mom passed we had to wait even longer because a full autopsy was preformed...the anxiety from that alone is horrible. I know about the whole "that isnt my mom/dad thing" I asked for a soft pink dress for my mom and my aunts picked out a dress it was beautiful how ever her hair was done all wrong an too poofy. I did flatten it out I just couldn't stand it. I has also requested that she not be burried in shoes her feet hurt her so bad from the RA I couldn't imagine her being in heels an that her feet not to be covered because she couldn't stand that. I guess none of that really matters anyway but it mattered to me.....

the biggest anxiety is because they burried her. she wanted to be cremated an my grandmother would have no part in that. Idk I guess its anxiety over every thing in general...

..I have been on antidepressants since my dad passed they do help some with the anxiety/panic attacks. They tried to give me something else but I have to much anxiety about taking new meds.

• Members

Tiffany,

Yep, I couldn't stand some other things that went down at the funeral place. His polo shirt collar was all messed up, he had curly hair, and it seemed that they tried to straighten it out or something... but they use a protective glass thing, so I couldn't do anything about it. He didn't wear any shoes nor socks, he hated socks. My mom got to "pick out" his clothing.. I wanted to dress him in shorts and a polo, like he used to love.. but we got into a small argument and i went in her direction... which I couldn't understand why she was trying to take that away from me, they had been separated almost all of my life, 25 years, I'm 27... and they only saw each other a couple of times last year, for my grandfathers funeral and for my wedding. So,I just went with the flow.

Some doctors have told me that they want me to take meds, but I don't want to. I tried that once, and I felt horrible.. I was trying to get back to my normal self again that it only made things worse, that's why I do the natural thing, and it seems to work just fine for me.. at times lol.

Archived