Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Phone calls

needy

• Members

I am not sure how to handle these phone calls. I have had a few calls mostly from seniors giving them their condolenses. Then the conversation turns to how ill they are. Even my father gave me bad news yesterday. My friends say this is just how seniors are not too much you can do.

I am a little more worried about these phone calls. I have had a few calls from telemarkers that I think are scam artists. The first one I told him off and told him to take me off his list that my husband just died. Oops. I don't think I should have said that. Now I am getting more calls. Should I call the police.

• Members

As far as seniors, you can be polite and short by saying something like, "Thank you very much for your support, I have to go now." But yes, my mother will call to check on me, and then just have this massive list of problems she needs to talk about.

As far as the telemarketer, is the one you told off doing the phone calls? If so, then yes, call the police. If not,perhaps you should get a caller id and use it.

ModKonnie

• Moderators

I think some seniors can tend to be that way, but many are not - and I think (I think) that's getting better as those who are becoming senior are becoming more of the baby boomers and they remember being driven crazy by that stuff and so are somewhat better about it.

As for phone calls from telemarketers, get your # on the "do not call" registry ( https://www.donotcall.gov/ ) - I think you have to wait a month until they then by law are not permitted to call you. If they do, report them (also on that site) - I doubt the police would or could do anything. And if they call and you say you're on this list, they tend to leave rather quickly. :) PS I for one am glad you told that guy off! These clowns deserve it.

• Members

I have caller ID and I use it. For a couple of months, I did not answer my phone unless it was a number that I recognized. Voicemail might help right now as well - let the seniors leave their condolences in a voicemail and you can either return their call if you feel like you can, or write a note to them if the call warrants one. Right now you are so filled with hurt and pain that there is no room for sympathy or empathy for other people. It will come back, I'm sure, but in my case it sure is taking a long time.

I made the mistake of answering a call after that time and it was someone calling to talk to my husband about the interest rate on our credit card. I really should have apologized to that person after I tore a strip off of them, but they got the wrath of all of my pent-up frustration and anger.

• Members

The day after my husband passing a police office pulled me over for going 5 km over the speed limit he was very rude to me. I was driving home after being out buying the kids suits for their father's funeral. I lost it on him. Totally lost it. I never have done anything like that before. Didn't get a ticket.

I am not answering the phone unless I know who is calling. I am going to register on that do not call list.

Archived