Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of an Adult Child

momofJustin

• Members

Thank you Roz, it was a wonderful blessing the day Garrett was born and every day after.   God, I miss my boy!

• Replies 68.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ericasmom

• Mermaid Tears

• daveydow1

• shorty16

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am certainly not as composed in my writings as others on this site, but I do want to voice my care for you Jackie as you approach Garrett’s birthday. There is no easy way to do these marker days, but hopefully knowing that others care will provide some solace. 

Diane

• Members

Hi Jackie - holding you in my heart ❤️ I know the days leading up to Garrett’s birthday can be excruciating. I thought of you both yesterday when I was sitting in my car after a very powerful sound healing meditation held at The Center For Spiritual Living Center I regularly attend. It’s right next door to a small park so I normally like to park directly in front of a single tree facing the park. For the first time EVER I noticed a very rare (for this area anyway) red-headed woodpecker doing its thing on the side of the tree and had to laugh out loud. If you’ll recall my late husband’s name was Woody so I always take it as a sign from him. Today is my oldest son’s birthday, his first without his little brother (and only sibling) Dustin being here with him, so I know it must be a bittersweet day for him.
And tomorrow is also a dear friend’s birthday - he just passed away on Dec. 2nd. 
But dear Jackie, I hope you can find some sweet memories to hold onto tomorrow and remember that blessed day you brought him into this world! As you always say, he IS still near you whenever you need him. Big hugs my friend, Angie ❤️

• Members

Jackie, hang on to the good memories and speak them, no matter who is listening. We love to talk about our children and the joy and love they brought us. Its ok if it makes you sad at the same time, grief is just the flip side of love. 

They are always with us, and even if you cant see it, I believe your have made small steps forward. Always remember to give yourself grace and space. Its ok to laugh and cry at the same time.

• Members
Mason’s Mom

Jackie,  I am not sure if you are still working if so I hope you take the day off for Garrett"s birthday.  5 years and I don't work on Mason's birthday.  My mind would be elsewhere. Acknowledge him tomorrow in whatever way you feel best. I talk to Mason and tell him how much I love him and the many things that made him special.  Cry, scream or sleep all day just allow yourself to feel.  We are here for you ❤ 

• Members

Angie,  This has got nothing to do with anything but when I read your posts I get a strong sense of a women I knew in London years ago.    I do know why that is - she had the same vibe I hear in you, she was from LA  and had a lovely free spirit - beautiful and loving.   Her husband , an architect from NY,  worked with my husband .  They were such an interesting couple and had a wild back story , anyway, it’s nice to have her come visit my memory again - thanks.   Love Roz x 

• Members

Oh Roz thank you so much for your kind message. It literally brought me to tears - I’m so happy you shared your thoughts with me. And really moved that you’re able to see ME through the layers of technology that separate us. I am absolutely that free spirit you described so eloquently. Much love back to you ❤️❤️

• Like 1

• Members

HI everyone.  Well, I have been very busy.  Its been 3.5 weeks since he died, and we are building a house so that has taken my time.  Today I went back to work- I own an air conditioning company.  Usually my customers bring me joy---I like to talk to them and fix their problem and make them happy---its 115 in the summer here- and cold in the winter.  Anyway I just feel like its a chore to do service calls.  One lady wants a new system, and I have zero interest in installing it.  My back, legs, ankles, all hurt and so I'm not sleeping well.  We all express stress and pressure in different ways- apparently I do it with physical pain.  

I noticed something---he died on a regular day- 3 days before chistmas.  While my heart was ripped into shreds, the rest of the world was oblivious.  Even neighbors---who could have said something- were silent.  How can the world be oblivious when we are all struggling just to do simple things and we are going through such a difficult experience?  

• Members

Hi mark, my daughter died 4 days before christmas. I understand exactly what you are saying. The world just keeps going. My son was only 4 at the time so I had to put on a smile and pretend it was a great day, opening presents santa brought. 

People think if they say nothing they are sparing you, because they dont want to see you sad. They just don't understand that we are sad anyways. Even after 5 years most people want talk about my daughter.

I am also a people person. I like to help them. It least I used to. Even now, so many years later, I have a hard time caring. Their problems are usually so trivial.

I have had trouble sleeping since nique died. I take melatonin every night trying to get sleep. Some nights it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

The physical symptoms should be watched as well. Maybe a massage will help. I carry my stress in my shoulders and back. I have constant back pain now and have to be careful how I move.

Give yourself space and grace. We are fundamentally changed by the death of your child. I am not the same person I was, she is gone forever.

BTW, I am originally from phoenix and understand the 115° summer and fully appreciate the air conditioning companies!

• Members

Mark , that must be very difficult - having aching bones and joints when you’re doing physical work .   I hope that you can  ease back into your business and become less bone sore - just be careful not to put every pain down to grief.       Sleep , or rather lack of it, is something shared here often - I bore myself to sleep ( focusing on a benign scenario and putting that on repeat works for me)   it’s going to be a different solution for each individual .  
 You have already been through such a lot of emotions in such a short time your head must be reeling .   As far as the reaction from other people goes - who knows ?    Some will feel frightened of saying the wrong thing,  some don’t want the trouble of it and it becomes distant to them all very quickly.    I could go on with the reasons but I find the greatest hurt is from family ( my brother) or ‘close ‘ friends who never mention my son or even seem to remember our bereavement.  Although  I have a tougher skin now after six years.      This is why it’s comforting to talk on this site - we have ‘permission’ to say what we think about this horrible reality but we have paid a high price for that ‘permission’ .

Take care, love Roz x 

• Members

Masons mom, props to you for doing Hulk! Kyle wants to do that one and Velocicoaster but they are a little scary and he wants to ride with someone. I get terrible motion sickness so I can only so the tamest rides. Christophers sister was supposed to come visit us in march and go with us but she has bailed. Kyle is just going to have to decide if he wants to go buy himself.

• Members

Virginia, you’re a brave girl - I’m the one that minds the bags and coats whilst others ride - a very important role.    That was a great gift for Kyle  -   Love Roz x 

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

it is garrett´s b´day today , right ?? happy birthday garrett !!!!!!!!!

• Members

Thank you everyone.  It is Garrett's Birthday.  He would be 24 today.  It breaks my heart anew.

Mark, It is so very hard to realize how quickly people move on and how little they say, if they say anything at all.  I have not spoken to my one brother at all since I lost Garrett (If he has to listen to me say my life is shattered, it will piss him off) nor have I spoken to any of my husbands family, they do not call and they do not ask.  That is supposedly family, friends and neighbors are as bad if not worse.  That is one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Garrett matters to me, will always matter to me!   It is heart breaking to realize the extent of the apathy.  We all here care and we know how you feel.

Thank you again everyone.  I miss my boy.

Jackie

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

jackie , we all know very well how much you miss garrett and we are here for you .....mafrk , it is so true how people forget or try to stay away from the subject.....you know , at one point or another in our life time , we have been one of those persons´

• Members

Big hugs to you today Jackie ❤️ and acknowledging Garrett’s birthday today. I know it’s hard. 

• Members

I just went out to feed my birds and my big turkey was there.   She has been there on Christmas, New Years Eve and new years Day and now on Garrett Birthday.... that is my boy, I have no doubt about it...  And his sense of humor would send me this huge gawking turkey....

Thank you all from both Myself and Garrett....

Jackie

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Awwww Jackie!!! That warms my heart. ❤️❤️❤️

• Members

absolutely happy Birthday Garrett.  we have 14 hens and 1 rooster.  We wised up because they ate all the grass, they eat the plants, and leaves.  In case someone here doesn't know- chickens love lettuce, spinach, grass etc.  Well now lettuce is like 3$ for a tiny little head, and they eat it really fast.  So one day I was in the store and saw dandelion greens.  A light bulb went off.  Its been raining a lot here so I just go pull weeds or grass along the side of the road and the chickens love it.  They eat as much as you give them.  You give them food 24 hrs a day?  They will  eat 24 hrs a day.  The other thing I have noticed is we got on average 5-7 eggs per day when we fed them corn/sunflower seeds.  Now that we feed them grass and weeds along with seeds, we are getting 10 eggs daily.  I know this has nothing to do with nothing---but the talk of the turkey and birds made me realize it.  I really miss my son- and I try to be patient with people.  This 'pastor'---I say that as a general term so everyone will know he was the leader---- from a church called me offering assistance in anyway---I appreciated it- but he said "I heard you lost your brother"- and went on and on about losing a sibling.  I lost my brother in 2007 so maybe he just heard about it---who knows.   

I am so thankful for this group and all of your love, patience kindness and friendship.  I hope I can provide just a small amount of all I have received here.  Thank you 

• Members

Thank you all so much... you have made me smile and cry at the same time.  Thank you for making this day at least bearable.   Happy Birthday my precious Garrett, Mum misses and loves you always and forever.

love and hugs,

Jackie

• Members

It’s healthy and necessary to talk about everyday life and those sweet little things that continue regardless of our grieving.     When we do it here it is a gentle moment for us all where we may find amusement or pleasure- I’m thinking about things like your animals - whilst still knowing we have deep suffering .    (If we did the same thing elsewhere there may be the misconception that we are ‘recovered’ and our grief is over ).    So, thanks everyone for those moments.   Love Roz x

• Members

So we are going to try fostering a cat. His name is Allen and he is 5 years old. This is a test drive to see if we are ready to commit to a cat.

20230118_173843~2.jpg

• Like 1

• Members

Virginia, a few months ago we went ahead and got a puppy.  He's really kept us busy and it feels so good to have "new life" around us and to be (again) protecting and taking care of a wee little one. I hope you both gain warmth, comfort and solace as Allen hopefully settles in to your family!

Roz, when you expressed that a person could be reluctant to share lighter moments and feelings with others because it might be  interpreted that we are healed and over the grief - that just sent shock waves through me.  Without realizing it, that's exactly what I fear.  Not only will they think I'm "now and forever" fine/fixed, but they will also (even further) cease to talk about my son Dan. I so appreciate your wisdom! I am currently trying to connect up with additional grief groups in an effort to be able to talk with others who truly (and sadly) understand.  I think I have come to the point where it's time to stop looking to family and friends to share the feelings of grief with.  

Thank you everyone, I truly learn and gain so much from all of you.

Diane

• Members

Dear Diane, have you found any helpful groups ?  I thought of joining a grief group meeting locally but it sounded such a mixed bag of losses that I don’t think I’d have found it relevant to me - I truly think that only someone who has lost their own child could empathise with my struggles and that I could trust them.
   I think that guilt is one of the hardest emotions to come to terms with - it spans most of our existence these days - from the enormity of being alive when our child isn’t to the self chastisement of enjoying something - music  for instance.   None of these things would David begrudge me , in fact,  he’d weep to see his mum so unhappy .    Love Roz x

• Members

Here in the US we have two organizations that have grief groups for parents that have lost a child. You may already be familiar with them. One is Compassionate Friends and different chapters have virtual or in-person. I have a local chapter that meets in person and will try that next month. I will also try some of the other chapters that are virtual. The second organization is through Hospice. It is virtual and also specific to parents with a loss of child. I imagine you could partake in either of these?? Let me know if you would like more information. They all meet once a month so I am searching for more in-person groups. 
I know my Dan would be disappointed in my inability to go forward….

Diane

• Like 1

• Members

Roz, maybe a week or two. Just until he is adopted. Kyle has always wanted a cat, but Christopher didn't want one. But since he and the dog are gone, I figured this could be a trial run. So far, he is kinda a jerk. Hisses for no reason. Just giving him space to see if he adjusts. We have a very quiet house so I hope its a short time to adjust.

Diane, we lost my husband and our dog in the same week. The house is so empty now. But I am not sure I am ready to commit to 5-10 years in a pet (or more!). So we are trying fostering.

I used to attend compassionate friends. It is helpful to have other parents to talk with in person. But each group has its own dynamic and when I moved to florida is didnt like the group out here. And now with Christopher gone I wouldnt be able to attend because kyle cant come.

• Members

Virginia, I used to do cat and dog rescue in Singapore and Hong Kong when we worked and lived there.  I was the finishing school so that they were user friendly for adopters .    A big hit for the shyest cat was a cardboard box ( medium microwave size)  chop out doors and windows ( leave them attached on one side so they ‘work’)  Kyle could roll a ping pong ball in there or dangle a toy at the windows of the box - cats usually love this interplay whilst feeling safe and secure.   
 Roz x

• Members

Hi all I haven't been posting for a while but I have been reading. Today is Kaitlin's angel date. We miss her more than words can say ... as I know you all can understand. We won't be releasing balloons or anything like that but as a family we have decided to do some of the things she would enjoy. We will be going to Chapters where K said she could hang out for hours. I will struggle to order from Starbucks (K always knew what to order for me) and wander the aisles. We will be bringing in dinner from a restaurant she likes and go out to the cinema. It's hard to believe that it's been a year but in others ways it feels like a lifetime.

I've taken up reading out loud in Kaitlin's room. When she was in the hospital and at home between stays, her dad was facebook chat with the family and read to her. I've also taken up baking a lot. K so much wanted to run a bakery but due to funds was a computer programmer. I told her when she was sick that I would help her start a bakery. I am so sad that she can't physically be here with me but she is never far from me.

Something that I have started doing over the last few months is listening to a podcast called AlwaysAndysMom. It is a mother who has a 14 year old son killed tragically in a car accident. Every episode she has a mother, father, or grief advisor on to talk about their children and their experiences. I have found this helpful and would encourage anyone who wants to have a listen.

One day/year closer to being with my girl, Theresa

resized.jpg

• Hugs 2

• Members

Theresa, I love all the things you are going to do. Every birthday and angel date I struggle. I want to honor her memory but it makes me so sad. Usually I just talk to kyle about his sister. I know not doing anything specific isnt a dishonor but sometimes my brain tries to tell me that if I dont plan something special it means I dont miss her as much

I wish I had a bedroom of hers to go into, and I love how you read in hers!

I know today hurts but it just reminds us of how much we love our babies

• Hugs 1

• Members

My 47 year old daughter died on New Years Eve. My daughter was an addict and died of an overdose. I have received one card. I’m not sure if people think because she was an addict that she deserved it. She didn’t. She tried so hard to get off drugs, they just were more powerful. Her 16 year old daughter didn’t deserve it. I didn’t deserve it. The last 20 years with her were hell. But I would have gladly signed up for 20 more years of hell if I could. She passed away in Florida. I’m in Pennsylvania. I can’t believe how coldly the police treat overdoses. The past few weeks have been horrible. My daughter was tormented, she was still my little girl.

• Members

Venusmom, I am so sorry about the death of your daughter. It is so sad that society can not see people past their mental illness or addiction.

My 18 year old daughter died 5 years ago in a car accident. As a teenager she battled depression and suicidal tendencies. When she died I remember one of my friends saying "I thought she got better."  They assumed she killed herself, and also assumed you can just "get better" from mental illness.

I cannot explain why people did not reach out to you. I believe people think by saying nothing they are sparing us pain, that by not mentioning our loss we will hurt less. They do not understand this is not something to "get over."

Your pain is so new and raw, give yourself space and grace to come to terms with your new life and the everlasting hole where your daughter should be.

Speak her name, tell stories about her, cry, scream, rage. We will listen.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Venusmom,   I am so sorry for you all - you, your daughter and your granddaughter.  
I’ll be generous and say that the people who have failed to rally round you are probably frightened of saying the wrong thing to you but I do hope that you have someone close by who can help you at this awful time.  We are always here and you are warmly welcomed.

My name is Roz and I lost my son, David, six years ago .  He was away living in Australia whilst I live in the uk - it’s been hard.

I imagine that your head is spinning right now and your entire being is in so much pain.   Losing a child from whatever the cause leaves us all very damaged - the grief is so deep because , of course, our love for them is so deep .     
Grieving for your child is not how it should be and the emotions that we battle with surrounding that leave us exhausted.     I wish you peace and strength in all that you will be trying to cope with  ,

love Roz 

• Members
Mason’s Mom

Venusmom, so sorry you have had to deal with the loss of your daughter and the lack of respect you , your daughter and granddaughter. The manner of death shouldn't matter, people make assumptions and form opinions without understanding. Like the others have said some  people simply don't  know how to react or treat us, it makes them uncomfortable. They will forever be our children. I was thinking just a few days ago about how at different times I think of my son at different ages. He died 5 years ago at the age of 21 but most of the time I think about him as his younger self,  maybe because he was no longer living at home. Consider my condolences.

Theresa,  such a tough day for you. I don't make a big deal out of Mason's angel date. I  prefer to keep  it low key,  5 years and I  have cried every year on that date and haven't worked because my mind wouldn't be in the right frame. 

• Like 1

• Members

Dearest  Venusmon,

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My name is Jackie and I lost my 22 year old son Garrett 16 months ago. to an undiagnosed medical anomaly he was born with. My eldest girl had drug and alcohol issues and had finally gotten clean.  After losing Garrett she relapsed.  Doctors and people in general, even family have been less than sympathetic to her.  I am so sorry your daughter was treated badly like my Jolene.  People seem to forget that no matter the age, they are still our children.  I am so sorry for the lack of support and care you , your daughter and your granddaughter have received.  I have not had a great support system either and the lack of care leaves you so stranded.  Jolene has been a great support to me.   I hate that any of us are here and I hate that you had to find us but I am glad that you have.  We are here for you and your granddaughter and to honor your daughter.   We know you pain and we will stand with you on this hellish road we have been forced to walk.  Hang on to us.

Dearest Theresa,

Passing a year is a torture all its own.  I had a difficult time, am still having a difficult time.  I have a feeling the years after will be as tortuous.   I say that as if the months prier were not the worst nightmare I could ever imagine.   It does seem like forever yet in the next moment it seems like just yesterday.   Your endeavors on Kaitlyn's angel date are a wonderful honor to your daughter even though I know it was difficult.

I am thinking of you all,

Jackie

• Like 1

• Members
Michael Rodriguez

theresa , i know how bad it is .....B´s b´day was only 2 months after he passed ....i cant believe i am going to hit birthday number 3 .....just do the things that she would have enjoyed , celebrate the time you had her and i agree with you, another day its another day that we get closer to seeing them again.

Venus mom , i am so sorry for your loss .....we will be right here for you when ever need to vent , scream and cry ....we all know to well what you are going thru and it is still so fresh.

Roz, Virginia my wife does have an aggresive cancer but the doctors feel that it was caught on time ....she will start chemo on teusday ......and we will go one day at a time 

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Venusmom,

No matter how we lose our children, it is a tragedy and leaves us reeling. My heart goes out to you and your granddaughter. My name is Diane and I lost my son Dan a little over two years ago. He was 33 years old when he had a sudden cardiac arrest. As folks have said, I hope you can find support and love through talking with us and others that have lost a child. My mistake in the early days was that I stayed to myself and depended on family and friends. They move on, however, and can’t truly understand. I ended up feeling hurt and angry. So now I am working to connect to various support groups. I feel the need to meet people in person that have this shared experience. You need to determine what fits for you, but I encourage you to be patient, kind and accepting of yourself and all the emotions that come with this cruel journey. 
We are here for you and you are not alone. 
Diane

• Members

Dearest Diane and Venusmon,   I do share that experience, the support I had been depending on from my family (whom I have always been close to was not there.... I heard for one..."We have lives to get back to/"   It was unfathomable and unrecognizable  to me.  This is your Grandson, your nephew!  I too found much anger and resentment and while we have mended somewhat, things will never be the same.  My husbands family didn't even make an attempt.  I have not heard from any of them since losing Garrett.    I started to branch out as well looking for someone to just talk to.  There were quite a few misses with therapy, group sessions.  But I have found a place to talk, or vent or cry here.  I would like to think there are times I repay the kindness.  No one has all the answers and it does not make the pain go away but it is a place where those listening do understand and support.  It is invaluable as we try to sort our shattered lives and broken families,  Knowing that we cannot make this horrific wrong...right again.

Thinking of you all,

Jackie

• Members

Hi Venusmom - oh honey it’s only been 3 weeks yet here you are! I’m another Mom who lost her son at age 39 this past May and my biggest surprise has been the lack of contact from most of the people I expected to be here for me. I finally just started reaching out to them instead. Most will admit they’d been thinking of me daily but were afraid it was too soon or didn’t know what to say at all. He died at home and at this young age the drug overdose rumors started right away. I chose to just ignore them. You’re right, there is a stigma attached to drug use as though they chose to live that hell. Nothing could be further from the truth. Please know you have found a safe haven here where there is no judgment, only deep compassion and love for you, your daughter and your granddaughter. 
Hoping this will bring you at least a small degree of comfort. - Angie ❤️

• Like 1

• Members

Michael, I am sending so many prayers for you and your wife. You were such a voice of positivity for me when Christopher was fighting to live. 

Please let me know if I can do anything. Sometimes it feels like we picked the wrong deck of cards to keep getting hard life lessons. 

But we are here for you and understand how stressful this time will be.

• Members
Michael Rodriguez
1 hour ago, NiquesMom said:

Michael, I am sending so many prayers for you and your wife. You were such a voice of positivity for me when Christopher was fighting to live. 

Please let me know if I can do anything. Sometimes it feels like we picked the wrong deck of cards to keep getting hard life lessons. 

But we are here for you and understand how stressful this time will be.

thanks ....it is just another journey .....yes, i guess we deid pick the wrong deck of cards