Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Thank you notes

Sammijo2424

• Members
Sammijo2424

My husband died 1 month ago. I have probably at least 100 thank you notes I need to write. I have just not been able to do them yet, too heart wrenching! Because many were men my husband worked with, and so many special people that brought food, the flowers were overwhelming, just so, so much.

I do not know what to do, not even sure I can sit down and start on them tomorrow, but I so want these people to know my great appreciation. I thought my children would help but when they were here there was just so much to do and they were mostly just trying to keep their Mama alive and moving.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you

• Members
Silvergirl61

Most people won't expect much, except a very simple thank you. I have received several that have been machine printed, simply saying the family thanks you for your expression of sympathy in our time of loss..with a machine printed "the ____ _____ family as a signature.. I have also seen some that are done by photo printing places, that have a message printed on them, with a photo of the person to give it a more personal touch. Most people , especially those who know you well, will understand if it takes some time to be able to do those. Do what you can, and ask a friend or someone in the family if they will help you, if you have someone to ask. It helps to not try to do them all alone.

• Members

Do ask for help. a family member, friend, neighbor. They can help you in many ways. When you get past this time life will be easier as that will not be hanging over you. Speaking from my life experience once that was done it was better for me. and I agree with Silver - you dont have to say much - a big thank you for all you did is sufficient. Hang in there - I send you a hug a encourage you to get started with just one today.

• Members

I agree with what has already been said - ask for help. Have a friend come over and address envelopes for you, or even help you write a generic thank you. If you can write one thank you and maybe add just one personalized line at the bottom, people will understand.

My Mom wrote out all the envelopes for me, and even stamped them all. Then she and a friend took care of getting them into the mail after I had written them.

Also, don't feel like they all have to be done in one sitting. It truly is overwhelming and very emotional - I kept a basket on my desk with the cards and list of who needed to be written to and when I felt like I could, I would write one or two and then stop. Some nights were better than others and I was able to get 6 or 8 done.

Take your time, start with just one, ask for help, do what feels right for you ((hugs))

• Members

Just a suggestion, I designed and ordered my husbands thank you cards on Walmart.com. It was much easier for me to do it that way as we had over 400 people at his memorial service. I used a picture from Christmas and wrote a nice little note on there and then put me and the kids names on it. I also preprinted return address labels and used my mail merger to print them. I did hand write all the address out though and I also wrote special thank you notes to ones that helped and my family. I thought the cards would be a nice thing for people to have since it was a recent picture. Hope that helps.

• Members
Sammijo2424

Good idea. I may do that since I cannot seem to sit down and write them out

Archived