Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Mom

freeze2

• Members

I worry that I’m not going to remember my mom one day. I sometimes wake up from seeing her in dream and have to remember that shes dead again. Im so scared sometimes to fall asleep just for that reason. But honestly the thing that bothers me the most are the days I don’t think about her. It seems impossible not to think about my mom everyday, but its happening more and more. I don’t know if that’s part of the process or not. Its only been 8 months. Will I be able to remember her laugh, her smile, or even her face in a few years?

Advice very much appreciated.

• Members

this scares me also,i keep looking at her pictures,i have her voice on the answer machine,i dear to listen to them right now..one day :-(

• Members

I worried about this a lot about a year or so after losing my mother as well. I started having trouble remembering what her voice sounded like, her laugh etc. Sometimes I would hear people cough in a grocery store and it would sound just like hers and bring it all back though.

At one point I realized I couldn't remember what her face looked like and realized it had been years since I last saw her picture. I could remember what her hugs felt like... This really hit me hard.

But then I started actively trying to remember more, and now days it's not as hard. I think your brain puts a temporary block on the memories to protect you. Just spend a little time every once in a while revisiting them so that they don't become faded. When you are ready they will be more accessible.

Archived