Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Brother

G77

• Members

I lost My older Brother a few months ago. I'm just not sure how to move past this. Everyone else seems to already come to terms with it. Why can't I .

• Members

G77,

Losing a brother is absolutely horrific--I lost mine, too. It is hard to deal with, but one thing you can do is to talk about him, talk about your feelings and talk about how much you miss him. OR, you can write a letter to him and tell him everything you want to say. Many people do that, and it really does help.

They probably haven't moved past as much as you think they have.

I know it doesn't make it any better right now, but time does help. Try to keep talking to others, possible get some counseling, take care of yourself and just know that we will be here for you.

Can you talk about what happened?

ModKonnie

• Members

He died in a car accident his friend was driving drunk he also died. 1/4 mile from his driveway . They were driving very fast he died instantly.

• Members

it's been about 9 months since I lost my twin brother. it gets easier. hang in there and try to dwell on the good times. prayer helps a lot. give yourself time to grieve.

• Members

I lost my brother the 15/1/2013... I've gone through so many emotions and aren't coping. It's also hard because being the sibling people tend to forget my feelings and how I'm dealing with it and that my grief isn't as bad as my parents. Being my big brother and only sibling, now that I'm an only child my heart feels like its completely hollow for the future I will miss with him. I've tried to exercise and do some art work in attempt to help me but nothing seems to work. I'm very emotional and talking about it seems to make it hurt more and when I start crying I won't stop for hours and then I'll be sick and then have a migraine for two days.. .. I not trying to ignore the fact that he died but I'm finding the pain too much to cope with, so I try to think that I'm in a bad dream.. Every day is like Groundhog Day, because when I wake up it hits me all over again....... I miss him so much and talk to him most days but yet I have had not feeling of him watching me or a sense of his presence... No sign no nothing. Yet mum and dad and others have and that's very upsetting for me to.... I have started leaving the house but that doesn't make me feel any better..... It's still so raw for me.... I just don't know how to deal with this and to try and enjoy life seems impossible..

• Members

So sorry for your loss. Siblings losses are one of the most overlooked, yet the connection between siblings are the closest. I can only say, try to live as your sibling would have wanted you to.

Sincerely

Barry -brother of a 9/11 sibling

• Members

I also lost a brother unexpectedly. I'm coming up on the one year anniversary and while I have managed well enough off and on, I definitely have bad days. In fact, sometimes months are difficult. I already suffer from depression and this has definitely not helped.

I've found going to grief counseling has offered some comfort, plus I have found that journaling allows me to get some of my feelings out without having to directly talk t

anyone. I'm more of an introvert and have trouble talking to people about this. So journaling helps and talking with others who have no direct experience. I feel bad talking with my mom or other family at times since I feel like it brings my other family down. I already have lost my dad, so now it's just my mom.

Feel what you feel, it's not wrong. You'll be all over the place and there will be good days and bad.

I lived with my brother and was extremely close to him. I've had a rough year. It gets better, but there are definitely some bad days.

I've found some peace in going to the gravesite with flowers

Find things that are helpful for you, get involved in something that is relevant to your sibling. A cause that was dear to them or a health issue that impacted them.

A sibling loss to me is beyond difficult. I lost my only sibling unexpectedly and with my father gone as well, I have fears that something will happen to my mom and it'll be just me. I'm not married and have no kids, so sometimes I feel more alone than is probably the case.

Archived