Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Buried my dad yesterday

Bamakathy

• Members

My father died on January 23, 2013 after complications of pneumonia. He also had Alzheimer's and Congestive Heart Failure. He had been in the hospital, but was allowed to come home on Hospice care, and died peacefully in his sleep. He was 85. I was a Daddy's girl for most of my growing up years, but after my parents divorce, I didn't see him as often. I was blessed to have many days and nights in his last few weeks, alone with him, caring for him. We were able to make some very good memories, and I was able to demonstrate my love for him. I knew this was coming, but nothing can prepare you for it. I am disabled and don't get out much, so finding this group and being able to share and read others' experiences is great.

post-308603-0-40933700-1359208781_thumb.

• Members

Bamakathy,

I am so sorry about the loss of your father. I lost mine three years ago, so I know you are going through a tough time right now. My father died at home, too, and hospice helped us. You are right, as prepared as we thought we were, when that moment actually happened, we were not prepared at all.

There are many people here who have lost their parents. Feel free to read through posts, comment on them and message others. Many times, we have people who read our posts, but haven't found the heart and/or strength to post yet.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. Even when we feel we are prepared for it I don't think it is any easier. I lost my dad this past year and even though we had a little over a month to say goodbye I wasn't prepared and I still grieve daily and deeply. I am still overwhelmed with missing him. At first I was in shock, I didn't realize why I couldn't feel much of anything except just numb,crying and pain. As this wore off I really came to the realization I wasn't going to see him again on this earth and sadness and grief overtook me hard. I became depressed and a feeling of hopelessness finally set in. I gained weight and life felt for a while like it was spinning out control. 8 Months has passed now, most days I am ok now when I keep busy but when something reminds me of dad, or when I am alone with my thoughts, the tears come back. There is rarely a day that passes that I don't think of dad all the time, my thoughts just tend to drift there. I know it is not easy to go through losing your dad no matter how long he lived or how much time you had with him at the end. Take care of yourself and welcome to the site. If you ever want to chat we are all here for you.

Your friend

karebear

Archived