Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my dad can't stop thinking about the end

Irishchick2929

• Members
Irishchick2929

I recently lost my dad to cancer . I never knew what cancer could do to you. I feel like I saw way too much. I didn't want to see him die. I didn't want to see him gasping for his last breath. I miss him terribly and shed a tear often .

• Members

Irishchick2929,

I am so sorry about the loss of your dad and his suffering you had to see. It is terrible to have to watch a loved one suffer.l I had no idea of the ravages of cancer, either, until I saw my loved ones pass from it.

How long was your dad ill? What was he like before he became stricken? Were you his caregiver? Do you have others to talk to about what you have experienced? We will be here to support and encourage you,

ModKonnie

• Members

I didn't lose my dad to cancer, but I did lose him this year and watched him as he lay dying. I didn't want to remember him like that but I know it was important for him that I be there. I still struggle over 7 months later thinking everyday about something from that last night. It is such a powerful memory that I doubt it will ever go away. People say it will fade and just to remember the good things but sometimes the memory is so powerful it overshadows other memories. I don't know where you are in the grieving process but I do know that it must have meant a lot for your dad that you were there. It won't be easy but time will make this memory easier to deal with, as it has for my dad's memory.

• Members
Irishchick2929

He was fighting it for about 6 years. He had a few surgeries and kept thinking it was gonna get better. They would take out the tumors but they kept coming back. He was an amazing dad, and friend. I'm his first child/only daughter and have a little boy. I'm happy he got to experience being a grandpa. And sad he didn't get to see him grow up. We were so much alike and his last words to me were I love u and I'm his favorite . Ill never forget that. It happend so fast. The cancer just took over in the last few weeks. He was my biggest fan. I don't really get to talk about it to anyone. I shed tears when no one is watching. It's stil weird to think he's gone. It's been since August.

• Members

I'm sorry, to hear about your dad. In a couple of days it will be one month since my dad passed away. Although he didn't die to cancer it was unexpected and horrible to watch. I too hate remembering what I had to see the last few hours. I was my dads favorite as well and I think that makes it harder to handle because the bond you shared was so special and you feel like you will never be able to duplicate it. I have 2 little one and get sad everyday that my dad won't get to watch them grow. I share your pain, I know how hard it is and nobody quite understands the way you feel. I guess sometimes when I am grasping at straws I draw strength from trying to believe that even though he is physically gone his spirit is still here and I want to make him proud. Sending hugs your way!

• Members

I wish you all peace and a return to happiness. I also saw my dad die. He had an illness with flu-like symptoms for two weeks, off and on. He slept most of the time during that period, I thought the sleeping was slow dying. People had tried to get him to go to the doctor, he wouldn't, and my sister was going to take him the next day. Anyway, at the moment of death, I was nearby, fortunately, and he appeared to be sleeping, and I was alerted by a sound he made, so I checked on him and he was in trouble as he did several more of these throat snorts that made his body jump and then may have stopped breathing. Lucky I was nearby and he made the first sound that alerted me. I tried to wake him and he was unresponsive. His eyes were open; he was unresponsive otherwise. I got emergency help for him, and they tried to save him.

Archived