Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

help

dodie20

• Members

Hey I am new here. I dated a guy for about 2 and a half years. We have been split up for about 3 years now. We both have been dating someone else. His mother and I stayed very close friends through our hard breakup. His mother passed away Monday. He came by and told me Wednesday. I know this is not about me, but I am having a very hard time with everything. I do not know whether to go to her service because I am not a part of their family any more but I do not want to be not included. Like I said I know this is not about me, but I know it will hurt me. I do not want to not go and be selfish, and regret it later. I have been very emotional these past few days and I feel like there is no where I belong.

• Members
BreathofAngel

Hey I am new here. I dated a guy for about 2 and a half years. We have been split up for about 3 years now. We both have been dating someone else. His mother and I stayed very close friends through our hard breakup. His mother passed away Monday. He came by and told me Wednesday. I know this is not about me, but I am having a very hard time with everything. I do not know whether to go to her service because I am not a part of their family any more but I do not want to be not included. Like I said I know this is not about me, but I know it will hurt me. I do not want to not go and be selfish, and regret it later. I have been very emotional these past few days and I feel like there is no where I belong.

Warm greetings, Dodie,

By what I am hearing you say here, this is not a matter concerning your ex-boyfriend as much as it is about his Mother whom you had kept in touch with even after your break-up.

The fact that he came by to advise you of her passing can only mean that he knows she appreciated you quite a lot, therefore, imho, you should consider going to her funeral because that is the very last thing you can do for her by paying your last respects. She would surely appreciate that and even though you may not be blood kin you must surely have been considered "family" by his Mother.

I wish you well in whatever decision you make regarding this but remember it will be the last opportunity to be with the fine lady who thought so much of you as to have stayed close friends with you.

• Moderators

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about this loss. I don't get what is "selfish" about going to show your respects, but if you really think it might bother him or them, simply ask him if it's OK. Best to you in this difficult time -

Archived