Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

inability to concentrate..grief related?

ashleyg5983

• Members

I lost my mom 6 months ago after a year of her fighting lung cancer. I helped her out the best I could. My mother was a caregiver for her mother and took care of also up until a month before her death. Anyhow... A little over a year ago I started experiencing brain fog so bad that I could barely drive. I was stressing over my husband leaving for deployment and how I'd handle him being gone. Also have a 1 year old and 4 year old. It eased up a little bit but is still there and I notice it most when I drive. Its like I just can't focus. I don't believe it is ADD I can concentrate on the most boring of shows and understand what is going on. Has this happened to anyone else out there? I've been to the doctor and he gave me celexa and that just made my mind race.

• Members

My mom died in February and I still can't focus at times. It seems like I am not connected, if that makes sense. I understand that this is very normal when grieving. The driving part bothers me also. I use to love to drive and now that thought of getting on the freeway scares me to death.

Hang in there. Everything you are going through is OK. Keep in touch on this site and let us know how you are doing. We care.

• Members

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry for your loss. I thought I was doing well then the holidays hit. Just wish my concentration would straighten out it really worries me and stresses me out more. I used to like to drive too, most of my family lives about 8 hours away and I could drive the whole way there no problem. I feel like I am losing my mind lol

• Members

I lost my Mom on Halloween this year and then my grandpa 17 days later. I can hardly remember anything from the previous day and it's especially bad when I drive. I believe it's just a part of grief and our brains kind of tuning out to keep us from going crazy.

• Members

Hi there

I am so sorry for your losses. Inability to concentrate is giving me a hard time at the moment, and driving is a bit of a worry because I seem to get places without remembering going past certain places, as if I am zoning out. At work I have made many mistakes lately. My Mum died 3 years ago and my Dad 13 weeks ago. To be honest when Dad passed I was just beginning to cope with losing Mum but now I am a complete mess, going from one thing to another forgetting important dates for school. I am starting to think about going to the Doctors but I really do not like going. Like you say I think it is a phase which will pass, I am just hoping that I do not lose my mind before it does. Take care of yourselves

• Members
ajlounyinjurylaw

I told my aunt that recently lost her husband that i see the loss of a loved one as if we are a puzzle and over life the people in our lives that pass are a piece of the puzzle. By th eend of our life there are missing pieces in the puzzle -- We have holes .. That show i feltand feel after the loss of my father! Its a hard time -- just know that you ar enot alone.

Archived