Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It's the details, the silly little details

DJCCHV

• Members

It's been 7 months now since I lost my sweetheart of 12 years very suddenly and unexpectedly. I just went to the toilet at work, look down at my panties, had a flashback of the little "ritual" we had of tearing off needs-to-be-retired underwear. All day long, every day, such little hurts. I'm trying to make it to the point that these are fond pleasant memories, but I'm not there yet. I have a feeling this winter will be hard. Just needed to tell SOMEBODY!

• Members

I can totally relate to this. It is the silly little things that get me every time. I too await the time when these memories are not painful.

• Members

How long ago did you lose your husband? and was it sudden and totally unexpected like mine? There are so many memories that only he and I shared. We lived in England together for 5 years. No one here in the US shares all that. When we moved back to the US, we came to a city where he had no history at all and I had only a history from 25 years ago. He was delighted by both England (even though we went through some serious trauma there) and the new town, such a contrast to LA and New York City, the only places he'd every known till then. He was so much better than me at really appreciating each day and every little bit of good there was in the world. I need that influence, especially now when all those little joys come with the sharp point of not being able to share it with him.

Archived