Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Recently lost my younger brother

Alexander Risten

• Members

Hi. I'm here because my younger brother, Joe, died on Sept. 14th of this year. He was 26. He had a massive stroke. There were additional factors, but that was, ultimately, what ended his life.

I'm not sure what to expect now. What grief is like after something like this, both short and long term. The only other person in my family who has died was my maternal grandfather in 1999.

What should I do to make sure I'm dealing with this in healthy ways? What types of things should I expect?

• Members

Rhart,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your brother Joe. When grieving, you may experience a whole roller coaster of emotions. You may feel angry, sad, lonely, guilty, afraid, okay, and then it may start all over again. There is no "right" way to grieve, and there is really no time limit.

The healthy way to deal with this is to make sure you aren't relying on drugs or alcohol to numb you from the emotions and to allow yourself to grieve. Cry if you want to, or laugh when you can. It's okay.

You will always love your brother, and you will always miss him, but the pain does lessen in time. Don't be afraid to have memories and talk or share about your brother with others.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Joe was a really awesome guy. His two biggest loves were his son, Jacob, and his guitars. He loved music and laughter. He was the biggest goofball. He wrote, played, and sang songs. In these pictures are Joe with one of his best friends, Stephanie, and Joe with Jacob, and Joe with one of his guitars. And just Joe, with a big grin.

We took his ashes to a really peaceful nature park this past Saturday. My grandfather has been there since 1999. There are some pictures here of that spot, too.

post-300448-0-54676100-1350292924_thumb.

post-300448-0-74879400-1350292943_thumb.

post-300448-0-73822200-1350292999_thumb.

post-300448-0-53284100-1350293406_thumb.

post-300448-0-62175000-1350293453_thumb.

post-300448-0-87118800-1350293488_thumb.

post-300448-0-30273900-1350293511_thumb.

• Members
Alexander Risten

Hi. I'm here because my younger brother, Joe, died on Sept. 14th of this year. He was 26. He had a massive stroke. There were additional factors, but that was, ultimately, what ended his life.

I'm not sure what to expect now. What grief is like after something like this, both short and long term. The only other person in my family who has died was my maternal grandfather in 1999.

What should I do to make sure I'm dealing with this in healthy ways? What types of things should I expect?

That was one of the reasons I wrote my book on Grief. Lots of people are not prepared for grief. Also, ModKonnie gave great advice on this. One extremely effective method to deal with grief is to start a "Memory Garden" if possible. Take a part of the garden and transform it in his memory. Plant a tree, shrub or rose bush. Having something to care for that reminds you of him will help channel the emotions more positively. I know of one person who added to this "Memory Garden" on every special occasion (birthday, Christmast etc.) He now has a very beautiful and peacfull corner in the garden where he sits daily to read, write or just drink coffee.

• Members

My baby bro died in a car accident this year in February. I still cant believe that he is really gone. We were so close and now i cant even talk to him anymore. I dont know how to move on from this. Feels like my whole world has ended. Nothing makes me happy anymore.

Archived