Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cost of Headstone

UnderHis Wings

• Members
UnderHis Wings

My late husband and I looked at headstones several times and shared our opinions with each other. He loved black granite. I don't know what my finances are going to be, but I've already received criticism for wanting a black granite marker. I don't appreciate being judged for a choice I might make. Unless I'm able to pay for a headstone, I certainly won't order it. Why do I have to be judged for the choice I eventually make?

Is it wrong for me to not want to socialize with judgmental people? I don't like the mental stress.

• Members

Don't leave anyone tell you what you want or don't want.We liked the black to but the gray was cheaper. it still cost close to 3000. get what ever design color etc you want you only need to buy it once. if you have a plot there too don't forget to get a double one. some grave yards just allow the flat stone, but ours allows anything so i got a stand upone but small one not one of those huge tall things. if you live in a small town you might want to go to a city as it was much cheaper. it still isn't here yet.

• Moderators

Why do I have to be judged for the choice I eventually make?

Because there are a ton of obnoxious, thoughtless idiots out there? That said, it's hard to tell how "bad" this person really is without knowing them or the specifics. Hopefully it was someone who meant well and just decided to put their brain in park vs someone with no sensitivity whatsoever in general.
Is it wrong for me to not want to socialize with judgmental people? I don't like the mental stress.
On the contrary, if you DID want to I'd have to question your sanity ;) Sorry you had to experience this UH. My inclination would be to tell them to mind their own business or just as you say not associate with them at all. But again that's generally speaking......

• Members
UnderHis Wings

I told this person years ago that we have very little in common. Now because my husband died, we're supposed to get chummy? I don't want the judgmental attitude. We should just continue to go our separate ways. :(

• Members

It's none of anybodies business what you want for a tombstone. After all, you have to look at it. I used black granite, so what? Geez, people have no boundaries somertimes.

Love and Support,

Mandala

• Members
UnderHis Wings

I'm sooooooo relieved and happy to have ordered the headstone. And it is black granite and I got a discount for paying up front! :) It will be 2 months before they set it in place.

• Members
UnderHis Wings

It's none of anybodies business what you want for a tombstone. After all, you have to look at it. I used black granite, so what? Geez, people have no boundaries somertimes.

Love and Support,

Mandala

Thank you.

• Members
UnderHis Wings

Don't leave anyone tell you what you want or don't want.We liked the black to but the gray was cheaper. it still cost close to 3000. get what ever design color etc you want you only need to buy it once. if you have a plot there too don't forget to get a double one. some grave yards just allow the flat stone, but ours allows anything so i got a stand upone but small one not one of those huge tall things. if you live in a small town you might want to go to a city as it was much cheaper. it still isn't here yet.

Thank you.

• Members

It amazes me that anyone would pick the nit of a headstone color... holy silly, Batman! My personal standard answer to such unfeeling folks is to give them my "sincere look" as I relate, "thanks so much for letting me know!" You need not add a thing to this statement, and just do as you wanted to originally.

As an example for other folks, when my mom died, I took my dad's single headstone and had it dropped off in the backyard here (where it comes in handy at Halloween), and I bought an 8" high double headstone with a fired ceramic photo of mom and dad, which was cemented in the center. The cost was $1150 for the double and $250 for the pic (with lifetime warranty).

The headstone is 8" high at the top, 6.5" high at the bottom, 13" deep and 42" wide, pink granite. The price included base prep and installation at the cemetery.. This is the Greater Cincy area..

I just thought it would help those that have never had to make this decision to get a hint of the cost. I didn't consider the cost exhorbitant for something you're only going to buy once..

• Members
stargazer5510

I learned that a lot of the people who were "our" friends were really his friends. I had to learn it the hard way. I let them go. Some I let go gracefully and some not so much. I feel clear-hearted and fine about those decisions. I didn't need the second-guessing and judgment.

I'm so happy you got the one you felt was right.

Archived