Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Finding time to grieve

Hanna28

• Members

Hello everyone. This past June I lost my dad (69) to mesothelioma after a three year struggle. Throughout the last year of his life I cared for him on the weekends and his girlfriend cared for him during the week.

Additionally, for the past ten years I have been the primary caregivefor my mother. I have been told 17 times she would not make it out of the hospital. She is a fighter.

I work full time and take care of my house, my mothers house, and am now the executrex of my fathers estate. I feel as though I don't even have time to be sad about the loss of my dad yet deep down I feel so empty. How do you all do it? How do you just go on with your everyday lives after losing someone you were so close to? I am at a loss. I almost feel like an orphan....strange as that may sound. I have looked for grief counseling in my area but the closest is over an hour away and I just don't have that kind of time in my days.

• Members

First off, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Dad. I know that when my mom lost her mom - my grandmother - she was in much the same position as you and she said she too felt like an orphan. There is no substitute in our lives for our parents and no substitute for when they die. You will undoubtedly feel the loss for the rest of your life. However, the way in which you deal with and grieve for the loss will change and get better over time. Everyone grieves differently, it hits at different times and the feeling of emptyness is normal. When the time is right, your body will let you physically grieve for your Dad - the emotional grieving is what is hardest. You have to be good to yourself and realize that you are only one person - there is only so much you can do and so much you can take on. Some days you might have to put your grief, your sadness, in the 'God Box' and just simply for an hour - give it up to God to worry about. It doesn't mean you don't miss or love your Dad, it simply means that right now at this very moment you don't have it in you. And that's okay.

• Members

"realize that you are only one person - there is only so much you can do and so much you can take on. Some days you might have to put your grief, your sadness, in the 'God Box' and just simply for an hour - give it up to God to worry about"

Very inspiring.....wods to remember for certain. Thank you!

Archived