Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Music, movies or other such things that are relevant/helpful/etc

widower2

• Members

Catfather, I love your selection! I'm going to go through my record collection and put some of these together with some a little bit more recent (like "Imagine" from John Lennon and perhaps a couple of vocals from musicals of the 50's-80's. And maybe some cello from Yo Yo Ma? At any rate, thanks for the list, I will look forward to putting together this mix!

• Members

Another one I might mention is "Battle Cry of Freedom" performed on piano by Jacqueline Schwab, from the miniseries "The Civil War." A very moving piece, and she plays it with such expression.

• Members

Another one I might mention is "Battle Cry of Freedom" performed on piano by Jacqueline Schwab, from the miniseries "The Civil War." A very moving piece, and she plays it with such expression.

Thanks again! I got this for Christmas for my SIL (she's a Civil War nut!) but I haven't seen it or heard the music on it, so I'll try and talk her into putting it on when I am at her place on Xmas Day.

• Members

I recently watched for the first time a quirky made-for-TV movie called "The Christmas Bride." John Tanner (Jason Robards) is a retired architect who is facing the prospect of spending the Christmas holidays alone the first year after his wife's death. His grown son, who has children of his own and lives in a distant state, invites Tanner to be with them, but Tanner insists on following the family tradition of spending Christmas at his lakeside cabin. He sees a newspaper ad for a "social arrangements" agency, and requests to be matched with a woman about his age to accompany him to the cabin, no strings attached. The woman (Julie Harris) known only as "Iris," sets the ground rules: Tanner is to ask no personal questions about her. Tanner is puzzled by her request, but agrees to abide by it. At the cabin, Iris is given a room of her own and Tanner puts up the Christmas tree, puts the turkey in the oven and presents Iris with a gift: a music box like the one his wife used to collect. On a walk to the lake, they learn more about each other, though Iris still reveals nothing about her identity. The next morning, Tanner, realizing he has become quite fond of this mysterious woman's company, suggests that they see each other again. Iris becomes upset at this and says they can never meet again, then reveals to him her big secret. I will not tell you what this is, but Tanner comes away with the realization of what he has been doing: clinging to the past in an unhealthy way by trying to hold on to a past that must be let go.

• Moderators

John Denver tune "For You" (live) - never heard it before but for whatever reason this one hit home

• Members
Silvergirl61

It's like a prayer, and it hurts to hear sometimes.

• Moderators

Don't know if you all are familiar with the tune by Blind Faith "Can't Find My Way Home" but listened a bit ago and that about sums it up for me -

• Members

Joe, We played , Through My Prayers" by avett brothers at my daughters visitation. We played, Yesterdays, by Switchfoot at her funeral.

• Moderators

And (finally from me) something in the pick-me-up dept: James Taylor's live "Steamroller Blues" (from his orig Greatest Hits). Hard to feel down listening to that one :) (warning a little rough language at times for those bothered by such things)

• Guests

I don't know why, but this song has helped me. I guess that I find hope and empowerment in it, though it makes me cry every time.

Walk by The Too Fighters

• Members

I don't know why, but this song has helped me. I guess that I find hope and empowerment in it, though it makes me cry every time.

Walk by The Too Fighters

This is a really good song, I love it!

• Members

Walk by The Too Fighters

Now that I am sitting here listening to this song I am finally listening to the actual words instead of the music. Jim was a drummer and singer, music is my life so sometimes I listen to more the guitar, bass and drums than I do the words! This was a song Jim played with several of his bands! I am sure if you set me down I could play the drums to it even though I don't know how to play the drums, does that make sense? Anyways I listen to music as a healing tool! In fact our new family room in our new house is a music room! My kids and I are very into music! Another good song is http://youtu.be/9lIdymq0DZc this is Watch Over you by Alterbridge! Jim loved this song! He played it in a band that he played with just 2 weeks before his accident.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Is Alterbridge the follow up band to Creed that Scott Stapp formed? I always loved Creed, and so did Daniel. I can relate about music. Although I'm a singer, not musician, so I listen more to the vocals and lyrics. But I've found that I have a really hard time listening to certain things now, because they make me sad. Daniel by Elton John is completely off limits - that came on my radio one day at work before I had a chance to turn my radio down, and I lost it (funeral song). Anything by The Eagles as well, since Daniel and I used to love to listen to them and sing along. I'm going to see them in concert in November - that is one concert we both always wanted to go to, and never made it. My good friend is going with me. I will take him with me in spirit that night. But generally, music has always been a healing tool for me. I hope that is something that I can get back some day.

Good to see you back, AustyKatie. Hope you are finding some peace and healing a bit. I'm trying, but it seems the last few weeks or even the last month have gotten worse instead of better. But like you, if it weren't for my kids, I don't know how I'd be getting through my days.

• Members

Music was always one of Alexs great loves. He was a diehard Tool fan, and one of my greatest sadnesses is that he never got to go to the shows they were playing here. Hed planned to, and wanted to go VIP and everything, he was so excited.....but he passed away 2 weeks before the shows. I really wish he could have gone. I always used to tease him that he was a reincarnated hippy from the 60s cos he loved old school music. He loved Tiny Dancer by Elton John, tho i have to admit that was mainly cos of Almost Famous. He also loved, and always said it was his favourite track of all time, Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, which we played at his funeral....maybe a little cliche but he loved it, and i always have too. He loved AC/DC too, specially old stuff, like Ride On, which is a great track. In tribute to his wicked sense of humour we played Highway to Hell as he left the funeral home chapel......it was nice to hear a ripple of laughter, and everyone said to me that "Thats SO Alex...hed be laughing"

Into the West from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack was always one of my favourite tracks, but its very personal now. I find it hard to listen to cos it always makes me cry, but smile too, cos im always reminded of Alex telling me that "Annie Lennox is scary!" He loved the movies tho, and i find myself feeling very sad that hell never see the rest of The Hobbit movies. We went to see the first one and he really liked it.

For cheering up tho, i have to go with Move It, from the Madagascar soundtrack. I swear he was a big kid, and he loved Madagascar....his favourite tag line "what is a bite on the ass between friends?" done in a great King Julian accent. God i miss him.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Catz, that made me smile. My kids LOVE Move It! And Daniel loved AC/DC as well. I resisted playing any at the funeral, though the thought crossed my mind. And he took great pride in the fact that he was really good at figuring movies out. Every time we watched one together, he would see how quickly he could figure out the premise and nail the ending. I think quite often as I'm watching some movie or another, "would Daniel have figured this out already?" There are so many things that we used to watch together, that now I feel sad he will never finish. I understand your feelings there.....

Alex sounds like he had good taste. I'm sure you do miss him terribly - I know we can all l identify with that feeling. Sigh......

• Members

Music has powerful memory ties for me also. One song that really brings me up short is "Wild Thing" by the Troggs (60's) because that was the ring tone I had set up for Linda. I heard it the other day on the oldies rock station and started to reach for me phone (wow). "Friends and Lovers", Eddie Rabbitt and Juice Newton, was our song, and could have been written about us. That played at our wedding and her funeral and is guaranteed to bring a tear to my eye, at the least. Not very likely to hear it unless I play it, and I do from time to time.

Seemingly obscure songs will grab me out of the blue, tied to a specific memory of a specific occasion with Linda, some sad, some happy, most nostalgic. There are so many over the years that I couldn't begin to list them all, and some I don't even remember until I hear them. The last song to pull at my emotions the other day was "The Dance", Garth Brooks. We listened to a wide range of music, often while traveling.

I think remembering past times together is therapeutic, even if some make me sad at the moment, and music does help. For me it is part of healing, emotional acceptance of what my logical mind knows.

• Members

i just wanted to resurrect this thread cos i think its an important one, to be able to share things that have helped us thru bad times. I guess most everyone knows by now that music has been integral in my journey (yes, i DO bang on about it a bit ;) )

i just wanted to post a song thats become very special to me. Id always loved it, but over the years i hadnt listened to it as much as i should have and i never shared it with Alex, ( i dont know why....i guess i just never found the time)tho i suspect hed have liked it. He loved REAL musicianship, probably cos he never had the patience to learn to play an instrument, and the playing on this track is lovely. Anyway, i post a song on FB on Alexs page every week on a Thursday......that was the day he died and its a way for me to commemorate that, but also to express MY feelings. So.....i was looking thru youtube late one night feeling very dark, and hopeless and i found this track, and i played it, and i sobbed. It was so beautiful, it broke my heart, and now the words have so much more resonance than they did back when i was very young. I realised that any world that could contain such beauty was worth staying in, for a while at least. My favourite line "you and i are yesterdays answers, the earth of the past come to flesh"

This song got me listening to a lot of old music that i havent touched in years and remembering why i loved it then, and loving it even more now. Yes, some people feel im a little over the top with it, but i can say with all seriousness that THIS song saved my life that night, and i thank god that Greg Lake is and was such a consummate musician and created the piece. This is "The Sage" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer from Pictures at an Exhibition

• Members

there are 3 songs I find myself listening to a lot that really hit home. I've cried an ocean of tears listening to them

2 of them are by Bruce Springsteen...

1st one is called You're Missing...

You're missing when I shut out the lights

You're missing when I close my eyes

You're missing when I see the sun rise

You're missing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Hayn1tNpE

2nd is If I should Falll Behind...

We said wed walk together baby come what may

That come the twilight should we lose our way

If as were walkin a hand should slip free

Ill wait for you

And should I fall behind

Wait for me

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1wg9jyvfN0

3rd one is called When I look to the Sky by Train...

Cause when I look to the sky something tells me you're here with me

And you make everything alright

And when I feel like I'm lost something tells me you're here with me

And I can always find my way when you are here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KipSEcE6gGM

• Members
MissingDaniel

Thisishard, on the bus home from work and just checked out the Springsteen tunes - love them! How have I missed those before? I'll have to check out the Train. And Ern, I've always loved Gerry Rafferty's stuff. That's a good one. Such a clear, mellow tone to his voice.

• Members
MissingDaniel

And catz, the guitar work on your post is amazing. You really don't hear that kind of intricate playing much now. Believe I've heard another ELP song that has some similar sound. Truly beautiful!

• Members

missingdaniel - glad you liked them. The Boss has a way with words :) I heard another one the other day called Ashes Like Snow by Lily Kershaw.

• Moderators

Lot of great stuff all - some of these I never would have probably known about either, thx :)

I thought I mentioned this one here but didn't see it, so for what it's worth (warning, this definitely fits in the sad/let it out category!) - Shaun Colvin's "I Don't Know Why"

• Moderators

PS we seem to be on a music tear..........any movies, shows, or books you found helpful? I tried a "Chicken Soup" book geared to grieving with people's stories, etc but frankly didn't do much for me and browsed through a few others at the bookstores that didn't grab me either.

• Members

People recommended The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion to me. It's sitting on my dresser but have not felt in a magical enough mood to start it. That being said it is supposed to be very good

• Members

Lot of great stuff all - some of these I never would have probably known about either, thx :)

I thought I mentioned this one here but didn't see it, so for what it's worth (warning, this definitely fits in the sad/let it out category!) - Shaun Colvin's "I Don't Know Why"

This is one of the best songs! Thank you for introducing it to me!

• Moderators

This is one of the best songs! Thank you for introducing it to me!

For all, but AK since you liked that one, thought you might like this one by the same person - warning also sad :)

• Moderators

Thought this was due for a bump :)   I'm sure others have some suggestions - again it can be something which is uplifting, or something which although sad can be "good" in that way, ie help to just let it out

• Members

For all those who do not know one of England's greatest singer/songwriters, Richard Thompson, check this out.

Warning is a little sad.

Or this classic, Vincent Black Lightning.

• Moderators

Just heard this one for the first time in a long time (warning, sad).  "Fair" is a changing word for sure.....

• Members

This song wasn't originally written about death, but having seen my wife suffer those years until she decided to leave this world by herself the lyrics got an entirely new meaning for me.

Falling slowly

• Moderators

bump

A newer one (to me) I heard was a group called Lighthouse their song "From Where You Are"

• Members

My husband and I are musicians and met in the theater.  We were widely involved in music our whole lives and came from musical families, so there's a vast amount that is emotional for me simply because of the memories evoked.

A couple of songs kind of caught me by surprise.  I was driving one day and Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" came on the radio.  I hadn't heard it in probably 20 years. Wow did the tears flow.   Another like that was Helen Reddy's "You and Me Against the World."  I hadn't heard or thought of that one in many years.

Dan Fogelberg's cover of Judy Collins' "Since You've Asked" (John made an arrangement of it for two flutes as part of our wedding music; our two best female friends are flute players, as am I).  Strangely or maybe not, Billy Joel's "Lullaby" got to me one day.  John Denver's "Perhaps Love." The Beatles' "In My Life." Any of Diana Krall's love ballads. "A Little Fall of Rain" from Les Mis. "Time Heals Everything" from Mack & Mabel  All of the Canadian Brass's classical arrangements are emotional for me as John was a trombone player and we saw them in concert numerous times, but I think could be for others too, especially the Vivaldi.  Faure's "Requiem." Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty" ballet and Symphony No. 4. "Variations on a Theme" by Satie. The Dixie Chicks' "Easy Silence," "I Believe in Love," "I'll Take Care of You," and their cover of "Landslide."  Some of the Windham Hill albums from the 1980s and 1990s.  Gluck's "Minuet and Dance of the Blessed Spirits."  "Irlandaise" from Bolling's Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano.

Those are the ones that popped into my mind in no particular order.

I agree that it's hard to find good movies that are truthful about grief.  I know it's kind of a "love it or hate it," but for me What Dreams May Come is a love it.  Yes, it's sappy and sentimental, but it speaks to me and besides, my name is Annie.  We both loved Always, though strictly speaking it's not about grieving, but about learning to live with loss and is a remake of A Guy Named Joe.  John had flight training and was going to go for his private pilot's license when he had his bicycling accident that cost him a small part of his vision.  His dad was a pilot and so were both of my uncles, so the airplane theme was a natural for us.  Edited to add:  On the idea of flight, John Denver's musical interpretation of John G. Magee's poem "High Flight" is really touching and I sometimes think of John maybe being out there now able to fly again.  I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

I'm not much for what people seem to call "chick lit," but I read Lost and Found by Jacqueline Sheehan more than a decade before I'd know how true to life some of the main character's grieving is.  I'll have to shuffle back in my memory for others as I tend to avoid books with that theme now.  It's interesting though as I'm reading a book right now, a mystery, where the father of the protagonist is thinking about losing his wife years earlier and it's so honest that I wondered if the author has personal experience (losing our loves bit by bit before they die, forgetting and thinking they're in another room, expecting the door to open or for them to be home when we walk in the door, being desperate to hear their voices, the moments between sleeping and waking when we reach over expecting them to be there).

I'm glad you brought this forward.

Archived