Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My grandmother is dying

panic

• Members

Hello, I just got news today that my grandmother is dying. I love her more than I think I have ever loved anyone. I don't know why but my emotional connection with her is so deep that when she is in pain I swear I feel it too. She's all the way back home in Europe, alone, suffering and dying and I can't do anything about it. I feel helpless and numb, I can't cry, I can't talk to anyone about it. I am a recovering addict, I have been clean for almost 3 years and never had any desire to go back to using. And I am not sure I want to ever use again but I don't know how to handle what I am feeling right now. I'm only 21, my emotional stability is questionable. I can't lose her. And I can't lose her like this, knowing she is alone and needing me, needing someone to be there for her. I can't handle this. I feel like I am going crazy.

• Members
BreathofAngel

Hello, I just got news today that my grandmother is dying. I love her more than I think I have ever loved anyone. I don't know why but my emotional connection with her is so deep that when she is in pain I swear I feel it too. She's all the way back home in Europe, alone, suffering and dying and I can't do anything about it. I feel helpless and numb, I can't cry, I can't talk to anyone about it. I am a recovering addict, I have been clean for almost 3 years and never had any desire to go back to using. And I am not sure I want to ever use again but I don't know how to handle what I am feeling right now. I'm only 21, my emotional stability is questionable. I can't lose her. And I can't lose her like this, knowing she is alone and needing me, needing someone to be there for her. I can't handle this. I feel like I am going crazy.

Dear (((((((Panic))))))),

I am very sorry that you had to receive such bad news. I know it is immensely hard for you especially with you being in another country altogether and with no way of reaching your dear Grandmother. You are obviously empathic to feel her pain when she experiences it.

Please do not go back to the habit that you have quit! That will solve no problems but only serve to add to them!

Perhaps contacting the Red Cross in your area and explaining the situation you might be able to get some idea about whether something can be done where your Grandmother lives. Many times they have good contacts world-wide and might be able to suggest something to you.

In the meantime, it may be good for you to contact a local church and also explain this situation to clergy who may also be of some help. It is not good for you to be alone especially at this time, my dear, and you also need to calm down and get ahold of yourself so that you can be in a good position to speak with those who may be able to offer some help.

I will surely be praying for you and your dear Grandmother. Please stay safe and remember God, your Creator! He would never leave you alone as without Him we are truly lost. Look to Him as your Fortress and your Strength and please take a look at my signature, below, for wonderful Scriptures that bring hope to those who feel hopeless.

May God Bless You, dearest! Please let us know what transpires! We are here for you and love you!

Archived