Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dad's transition

birdlady19

• Members

My dad passed 6-7-2012. He was 93 y/o. Even though I had him in my life many years i'm still in shock, at times. He had dementia(HORRIBLE disease) & pneumonia. I thouhgt that getting him back to memeory care, where he was living for 6 months might turn his 'stage' around but it didn't. He didn't survive long but I was given many spiritual gifts for which I shall never forget. It's hard not to see the physical person here but I know he's in a better place where his mind is 'new' again. He is also with his family. I was crying just about every day but have sort stopped that. I contined with the Memory Care support group at the facility where he lived but I really think about him & see him there which in turns brings sadness. Seams like a dream cuz his death was not long & he was not suffering, I think. I wish I had him back but without the dementia!!! I thank God for the many blessings I received that week!!!

• Members

My dad passed 6-7-2012. He was 93 y/o. Even though I had him in my life many years i'm still in shock, at times. He had dementia(HORRIBLE disease) & pneumonia. I thouhgt that getting him back to memeory care, where he was living for 6 months might turn his 'stage' around but it didn't. He didn't survive long but I was given many spiritual gifts for which I shall never forget. It's hard not to see the physical person here but I know he's in a better place where his mind is 'new' again. He is also with his family. I was crying just about every day but have sort stopped that. I contined with the Memory Care support group at the facility where he lived but I really think about him & see him there which in turns brings sadness. Seams like a dream cuz his death was not long & he was not suffering, I think. I wish I had him back but without the dementia!!! I thank God for the many blessings I received that week!!!

Redheads,

I am sorry about your loss of your father. It sounds as though you received valuable support, and you are currently in a good place. It is hard to lose a parent, even when they are suffering. I still miss my father, and I wish I could see him when he was healthy.

We will be here to support you.

ModKonnie

• Members

My mom died 7 months ago of pneumonia. She also had Alzheimer’s. People don't realize that Alzheimer’s does not kill a person. They die from some other disease or affliction. You are right, it is a horrible disease. In fact I can honestly say that it is the worst disease of them all. It is not so bad for the person who has it, but it is so depilating for those who have to watch the decline of the loved one. My mom had it for almost 3 years. The last 2 were spent in a memory care center. You are brave. I could never go back there. There were only 38 residents so the care was good and the people wonderful, but to go and see the facility would break my heart all over again.

I believe that mom is happy again and has her mind back, but that doesn't mean I don't want her here. I cry everyday for her. I even want her back at the care center so I could be with her most of the day. I want to look into her eyes once more and see some recognition.

So you see, I know what you are going through. Stay going to your group. I belong to a grief group and it has helped a lot. It is held at the local hospital so it is a safe place for me to be.

Blessings on you and all you are going through. I understand.

Sally

• Members

My mom died 7 months ago of pneumonia. She also had Alzheimer’s. People don't realize that Alzheimer’s does not kill a person. They die from some other disease or affliction. You are right, it is a horrible disease. In fact I can honestly say that it is the worst disease of them all. It is not so bad for the person who has it, but it is so depilating for those who have to watch the decline of the loved one. My mom had it for almost 3 years. The last 2 were spent in a memory care center. You are brave. I could never go back there. There were only 38 residents so the care was good and the people wonderful, but to go and see the facility would break my heart all over again.

I believe that mom is happy again and has her mind back, but that doesn't mean I don't want her here. I cry everyday for her. I even want her back at the care center so I could be with her most of the day. I want to look into her eyes once more and see some recognition.

So you see, I know what you are going through. Stay going to your group. I belong to a grief group and it has helped a lot. It is held at the local hospital so it is a safe place for me to be.

Blessings on you and all you are going through. I understand.

Sally

Sally,

Thank you for your words of concern. I'm beginning to think dementia is worse diease there is(??). Mainly because it's so unpredictable. Also have learned that the disease is really in it's infancy. There's research going on but not much progress made. It has to be detected before visible symptoms appear so that maybe tr or control can be started early. And we have to communicate more intensely with our parents & the eldery because they do . in the early stages, have a way of consealing their symptoms, for many reasons. Usually cuz they don't want to lose their independce or try to hang on to it for as long as possible. I want my dad back but minus the dementia. He was healthy before the appearance of this condition. People, including my kids say, "Well, he was 93. You had him for a long time" Yes that's true but that's one of the worse things some can say to a person grieving person.My parents , besides my husband, kids & 2 grandkids are IT for me. I guess I want to hold on as long as possible which I know is reallestic. My dad went to a better place, I had visions before he passed. And he 'mouthed' "I Love You' the night before he transitioned. I too cry just about everyday. I'm sad but it's part of the grief process, as 'they' say.

Thanks again' Blessings to you too on your journey!

Joan

Archived