Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Helping a grieving friend

Iris

• Members

I am not sure there is really anything you can do but let her know that you love her and will listen. I think people try to say things and it either comes out wrong or something. But to just let her know that you are there for her. When you go over just try to listen if she doesn't talk don't take it personal. I probably wouldn't try to discuss how she is treating others right now or that her son isn't coming back. She may be hiding from it but will come to the conclusion without you pointing it out. I am afraid she is in a place where you will be alienated from her life too. I think you are a friend she needs and you seem to understand her.

Of course I am not professional in anyway. I am just a victim myself of the death of my 23 year old daughter. As I was reading your blog I tried to think as if I was in her shoes. That's all. Going through the grief process is so different for everyone. People handle it so different. So my ideas might be up in the night but it is worth a try. Anyone that would come on a panel like you have tells me that you truly care about your friend. The world needs more friends like you. My prayers are with you and your friend.

• Members

Thank you. I think she's reached a little of a turning point. We're beginning to talk more naturally again, and she seems to be speaking to those around her a little more gently and in a manner that pushes them away less. I know it's not a straight road to travel, but the fact she's back on track for the time being is comforting.

Archived