Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Does life ever become normal again?

patticake

• Members

Its been 9 years since my brother died and sometimes I wonder if my life will ever be normal again.Since his passing everything seems so different. Colors arent has bright has they used to be. The sky isnt so blue anymore. In some ways I feel the love I used to have for others is different. Things that used to matter dont matter anymore.My emotions are different in so many ways.I dont smile like I used too. I dont laugh like I used too. I was very ougoing before and I know for sure that is not me now. I completely stick to myself. I dont like getting out like I used too. And when I do have to get out it bothers me. My relationship with my sister has completely suffered from my brothers death.I thought we would be closer since his passing and that is not the case at all. We fight all the time to the point where we hurt eachother with words. I was and had always been very close to my brother. And I had never had that close of a relationship with my ssister and I feel in some ways his death has put a wedge between my sister and I. Will my life ever be normal again!

• Members

Its been 9 years since my brother died and sometimes I wonder if my life will ever be normal again.Since his passing everything seems so different. Colors arent has bright has they used to be. The sky isnt so blue anymore. In some ways I feel the love I used to have for others is different. Things that used to matter dont matter anymore.My emotions are different in so many ways.I dont smile like I used too. I dont laugh like I used too. I was very ougoing before and I know for sure that is not me now. I completely stick to myself. I dont like getting out like I used too. And when I do have to get out it bothers me. My relationship with my sister has completely suffered from my brothers death.I thought we would be closer since his passing and that is not the case at all. We fight all the time to the point where we hurt eachother with words. I was and had always been very close to my brother. And I had never had that close of a relationship with my ssister and I feel in some ways his death has put a wedge between my sister and I. Will my life ever be normal again!

Patticake,

Your life has been altered by a loss, and that will certainly have a lasting affect. However, time, age, society and all kinds of things make life ever-changing, don't you think?

If colors don't seem as bright, and things don't seem as fun or as vibrant after nine years, perhaps you should discuss this with your health professional. You could be suffering from depression. Also, perhaps some grief and loss counseling or a self help group may definitely benefit you. Oftentimes, when we lose people we love prfoundly, we hold in many of our feelings and don't release them. It's important to get them out so we can put them in their proper place and move in a positive direction.

Are you and your sister afraid to love as deeply as you have for fear of getting hurt again? Isolating yourself certainly has to be having a negative affect because you can't talk to people and share with them. Talking is important because it helps us stay connected to others and life's events.

Your life will certainly be "normal" again one day, but it may be a different normal and a better normal.

We will be here to talk with you and encourage you.

If you'd like to talk about your brother, feel free to share with us his story.

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi there, my name is Katie. I lost my 19 year old brother july 22, 2012. This is the first time i have reached out or found any type of grieving support. My brother died of mitochondrial disease (degenerative brain disease), he was only 19. Last week was the funeral services, so we had a lot of support. Now everyones lives have gone back to normal it seems and im expected to be normal, but the truth is i dont even know what my new normal is.. i am so sad and i miss him so much already and its only been almost 2 weeks. I know i have a LONG road ahead of me, i would also like to try to find some kind of support for my parents and younger sister, maybe some kind of support group we could go to together. Does anyone have any advice?? It seems like it would be easier talking to people who know what you are experiencing.. this is the first time i have posted anything, i hope i am doing this right and am in the right spot..

Thanks for any advice =)

• Members

Hi there, my name is Katie. I lost my 19 year old brother july 22, 2012. This is the first time i have reached out or found any type of grieving support. My brother died of mitochondrial disease (degenerative brain disease), he was only 19. Last week was the funeral services, so we had a lot of support. Now everyones lives have gone back to normal it seems and im expected to be normal, but the truth is i dont even know what my new normal is.. i am so sad and i miss him so much already and its only been almost 2 weeks. I know i have a LONG road ahead of me, i would also like to try to find some kind of support for my parents and younger sister, maybe some kind of support group we could go to together. Does anyone have any advice?? It seems like it would be easier talking to people who know what you are experiencing.. this is the first time i have posted anything, i hope i am doing this right and am in the right spot..

Thanks for any advice =)

Hi, Katie. I am wondering the same thing. My sister died July 5, 2012. I feel like watching everyone return to normal makes me insane. I want to scream, "Excuuuuse me!! How can people be going on with your lives when I'm grieving so badly. My sister is gone! How can I go back to normal?" It's very difficult. Going to work and putting on a "normal" face. Going to school and acting like everything is okay. It's very exhausting. I don't know if things will ever be "normal" again. Maybe we just get used to our "new normal?"

• Members

Yes,by al lmeans consider a grief support group.In NYC area: The" compassionate hearts" hold meetings,I am sure there are similar groups in other parts of the country.Listening to others talk,cry ,may encourage your family to talk,about the pain of loss. a meber of the family is gone.It is like an amputation.I having lost a sister feel like an amputee,and the family feels like an amputee.

Sometimes,quite often anger is what we express when we are afraid of expressing tender feelings. Under the anger ther eis pain,and underneath -love

You would've not suffer this horrific pain of grief had you not loved deeply .

Archived