Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Numbness is disorienting, Mom passed away 7/11/2012

greenglow

• Members

Hi All... My Mom passed away exactly 24 hours ago now. I feel so sad and exhausted. I go from crying to numbness to a weird lightheaded disorientation.

I try to look normal and hide it and so I engage in trying to smile and engage others. But the looks I get from some people are that they think this is weird and expect me to be crying all over them. I am a very private person and can't make myself cry in front of certain people if I feel uncomfortable around them.

Does anyone else here have this experience as well?

• Members

Hi All... My Mom passed away exactly 24 hours ago now. I feel so sad and exhausted. I go from crying to numbness to a weird lightheaded disorientation.

I try to look normal and hide it and so I engage in trying to smile and engage others. But the looks I get from some people are that they think this is weird and expect me to be crying all over them. I am a very private person and can't make myself cry in front of certain people if I feel uncomfortable around them.

Greenglow,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your mom. Your numbness to a weird disorientation is completely normal. You may be experiencing physical exhaustion on top of emotional exhaustion, which could help explain the weird disorientation, too.

Crying at the drop of a hat right now is so okay and normal, and smiling and acting normal is also okay and normal. You act how you feel and that should be okay.

Please know we will be here for you.

ModKonnie

• Members
WesternMDFan

Hi,

my Mom passed away early Monday morning. By the way, I am 52 and really liked and loved my Mom. The funeral was yesterday (Thursday). I was busy all week making arrangements and trying to make things easier on my Dad. I did pretty good until after the funeral........now it is really sinking in that my Mom is no longer with us.........now, I am sitting in front of the TV and I have no clue what I am watching!

I know it makes no sense, but I feel some comfort knowing that there are other people going thru the same tough times as me. Maybe that will help you a little too.

One thing my Dad has always said is that, "things are always changing.......that is life for all of us". I think we will make our parents proud if we do our best to adjust to those changes.

• Members

Hi,

my Mom passed away early Monday morning. By the way, I am 52 and really liked and loved my Mom. The funeral was yesterday (Thursday). I was busy all week making arrangements and trying to make things easier on my Dad. I did pretty good until after the funeral........now it is really sinking in that my Mom is no longer with us.........now, I am sitting in front of the TV and I have no clue what I am watching!

I know it makes no sense, but I feel some comfort knowing that there are other people going thru the same tough times as me. Maybe that will help you a little too.

One thing my Dad has always said is that, "things are always changing.......that is life for all of us". I think we will make our parents proud if we do our best to adjust to those changes.

I am sorry for your loss, Western. Thanks for sharing your own experiences. This makes me feel more normal and less odball.

• Members

Greenglow,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your mom. Your numbness to a weird disorientation is completely normal. You may be experiencing physical exhaustion on top of emotional exhaustion, which could help explain the weird disorientation, too.

Crying at the drop of a hat right now is so okay and normal, and smiling and acting normal is also okay and normal. You act how you feel and that should be okay.

Please know we will be here for you.

ModKonnie

Thank you, ModKonnie

Your explanation is helpful. I am glad this is a typical response and appreciate your feedback.

Archived