Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Attempted Suicide

paigecenter

• Members
paigecenter

I know most of you are older and will think this is pathetic. But I broke up with my boyfriend of 15 months last night. He kept begging for me to take him back but I just couldn't. He finally stopped texting me. I have an app on my iPhone that tells me where he is because he always wants to meet places so I can get the address from the app. Well I checked it and it said he was at the hospital. I only have his cousin's phone number and she is 10. Her parents wouldn't tell her what happened. That's when I knew for sure he had tried to commit suicide. He has been depressed for as long as I've known him but he takes medication and has been doing a lot better lately. No one will answer the texts I send him but I know someone read them. We both have iPhones so it tells me when the message is read. I have called his phone 20 times but no one will answer. We broke up, but I still love him and care about him. I just want to know what is going on and if he will be okay. It is all my fault. I wish I could go to the hospital but his family would yell at me and blame me, so I'm not allowed to go.

• Members

I know most of you are older and will think this is pathetic. But I broke up with my boyfriend of 15 months last night. He kept begging for me to take him back but I just couldn't. He finally stopped texting me. I have an app on my iPhone that tells me where he is because he always wants to meet places so I can get the address from the app. Well I checked it and it said he was at the hospital. I only have his cousin's phone number and she is 10. Her parents wouldn't tell her what happened. That's when I knew for sure he had tried to commit suicide. He has been depressed for as long as I've known him but he takes medication and has been doing a lot better lately. No one will answer the texts I send him but I know someone read them. We both have iPhones so it tells me when the message is read. I have called his phone 20 times but no one will answer. We broke up, but I still love him and care about him. I just want to know what is going on and if he will be okay. It is all my fault. I wish I could go to the hospital but his family would yell at me and blame me, so I'm not allowed to go.

Paige,

First of all, I am sorry you are going through this. Breakups are hard enough, but then to find out someone you love has attempted suicide is worse than hard.

Next, it is never someone else's fault when a person tries to commit suicide. People are completely responsible for their own choices and their own behavior. Obviously, your boyfriend has a deeper issue than what he allowed people to see. He will need to get help and work out his troubles.

Let some time go by and perhaps his family and even he will begin to talk to you. Right now, everyone is extremely upset, shocked and probably acting out in anger, fear and love.

ModKonnie

• Members
I am cursed

OMG i am going through the exact same thing/ i have been dating a man for the last 8 months and basically he has spent most of those nights with me/ He is still legally married but his marriage has been dead for over 10 years for the sake of his son he has stayed at the family home to finance bills etc. Last Jan he told his wife about me and said that he wanted to have his own life. She agreed as long as he paid the bills so as i say he has stayed with me and my kids most of the time. He had agreed a divorce with his wife and was just on the point of moving out when I became irrational. We went to view an apartment for him to move officially into and that night he backed out of it saying it was too expensive etc.I saw it as an excuse and convinced myself that it was an excuse just not to officially leave the family home. I finished with him and told him a big lie that i was going to go back to my ex boyfriend. He begged me to stay and i said no , He told me via txt that i would be getting a call from his brother and hours later the brother did phone to tell me that he had been found hanging. He is in hospital and i am riduled with guilt. I know he loved me deeply as i him and i know that he was moving out but i was too selfish and demanding and impatient. His wife now has completely taken over at the hospital and his own family are afraid that if i go in his wife will forbid everyone from seeing him and as his mother is very elderly i do not want to upset anyone. i believe that his wife is very cold and strange in her behaviour and have been assured that she would not co-operate with me. i have phoned the hospital ward and spoke a couple of times with him. He def knows its me but he has brain damage and i dont know to what extent. His brother no longer keeps in contact with me and i have no other contact to find out how he is. I love him deeply and miss him so much apart from the guilt that i am going through. i want to see him and i know that he would want me to be there but i am afraid that his wife would be there and yell at me.i dont understand how she is being so controlling when she knew he was in a new relationship and they have not been intimate for years which was her choice. What do I do?

• Members

It's most certainly not your fault. Breaking up is something everybody goes through and most people don't commit suicide. It's just a part of life. If anything is to blame, its the depression, not you. Maybe he'll now get the help he needs and it will have a positive outcome.

Archived