Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Co dependence

Seebie

• Members

A few months ago I learned that a school love of mine of 22 years ago died when she was just 20, and it plunged me into quite a state. I posted about that a while back.

I had some counselling as this news pushed me into depression, and I seemed to be doing better after a few sessions, but this week I feel myself slipping. I've been spending a bit of time with my old friend's family since I learned the terrible truth, and I'm worried that I'm becoming dependent upon them in order to connect with the memory of her.

We don't talk a great deal about her but she's never far from our minds when we connect. Do you think it's unhealthy for me to be in touch with them? I feel like they like having me around too and I'm treated like family. The girl and I were friends, but she never loved me back the way I loved her. I sort of feel like Sandra Bullock in "While you were sleeping", like I've been accepted under false pretences.

What do you think?

• Members

A few months ago I learned that a school love of mine of 22 years ago died when she was just 20, and it plunged me into quite a state. I posted about that a while back.

I had some counselling as this news pushed me into depression, and I seemed to be doing better after a few sessions, but this week I feel myself slipping. I've been spending a bit of time with my old friend's family since I learned the terrible truth, and I'm worried that I'm becoming dependent upon them in order to connect with the memory of her.

We don't talk a great deal about her but she's never far from our minds when we connect. Do you think it's unhealthy for me to be in touch with them? I feel like they like having me around too and I'm treated like family. The girl and I were friends, but she never loved me back the way I loved her. I sort of feel like Sandra Bullock in "While you were sleeping", like I've been accepted under false pretences.

What do you think?

Seebie,

Well, what do you think? And what do you think you should do? What is your goal in befriending this family? What do you hope it will do for you?

Are you continuing to socialize with others? Why do you want to connect with that memory?

I'm just throwing some questions out for you to consider to help you sort through some of your thoughts on this matter.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

Archived