Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Afraid of forgetting

immissingyou

• Members

I lost my best Dog, Shelby last week. She was 14 and had been deteriorating from muscle desease for years. I did all kinds of therapies etc to keep her pain free since she was 7. I poured my heart and soul into her. It was not easy. I'm single so was the primary caregiver She was a big dog and we struggled with the stairs. Had a harness that helped her up the stairs. She was very anxiety prone and always needed assurance. We went through a lot together but I loved her. I don't have children. My pets are all I have really.

Now that she is gone I'm afraid of forgetting her. I have pictures but for some reason I never took video of her. I want to see her move again!! How could I not think of taking video all this time. I did not have a recorder until 3 years ago but still I could have done it then. I knew she was going to pass this year but it came up sooner than I thought. At the ER vet.

Is this common? People afraid of forgetting their loved one? My Mom died 4 years ago. I miss her and feel like her memory is fading as well. Maybe this is why I'm so afraid of forgetting Shelby now? it's really making me sad. I am so MAD at myself for no video of her I want to see HER again!! I'm losing sleep over this. Very despondent.

Thanks for any replies

• Members

Shelby14,

You will never forget her or your mom. Some memories may fade, but others will surface. You will never forget the experience of the love. You can come here to talk to us about Shelby and your mom.

Don't let the regrets eat you up. There are lots of things we regret when we suffer a loss, but we aren't perfect, and we just don't know everything. You have a perfect video of Shelby in your mind--it will truly be okay. You won't forget.

Do you have any pictures of her? Do you want to post them?

ModKonnie

• Members
MartinSmith

Its really very painful feeling when we lost our loved ones. Pets create a special place in our life if they stay with us for a long time. I can understand your feeling of loosing your dog. I am too a pet lover and have a cat. I love it so much and could describe what would do if lost it.

• Members
immissingyou

There are difficult days ahead and days where you will almost forget to think of Shelby. It's normal, doesn't make you a bad 'parent', just the process of grief. My brother in law had to put down his weim today and it was devastating. In a forum that is full of grief for loved ones I think we all too often forget the impact that pets have on our lives. I'm so very sorry for your loss - it sounds as if Shelby was very loved! Time will heal but you will never forget Shelby.

Archived