Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Husband of 31 years

Skyqueen

• Members

I lost my husband of 31 years on 4/29/12. I am in a fog. It was unexpected and shocking. I am so fortunate to have a daughter and her family who are there for me. I want to thank people for their concern for me and love of my husband, Steve. I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone or in person either. I don't want to think about his death in the hospital. He had a stroke, brain bleed from being on a blood thinner. He was in the hospital for 3 days and it was awful. The Dr's and nurses were wonderful to him and us. I want to go back to work in a week. I am a flight attendant and I am so glad that I was home when he had the stroke. I don't know what would have happened if I was away on a trip. On the day of his memorial a water pipe burst in the upstairs master bathroom....I had water all over the floor in the kitchen when I got up that morning.....

I don't feel sorry for myself. I am just trying to find my way through the "process" which is what everyone calls all this.....

• Members

Skyqueen,

If you want to go back to work, then certainly do so. How horrible about the water pipe. The tone of your message sounds like you are trying to be positive despite your profound loss. It is okay for you to feel any way you want. There is no "right" way to grieve. You may experience a rollercoaster of emotions, and that is normal too. Be sure to eat healthy (if you can manage it) drink plenty of water and try to sleep. Being physically worn down certainly will not help at all.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We will be here for you. There are many people here who have lost the love of their life. They will be able to offer you support and encouragement.

ModKonnie

• Moderators

It is okay for you to feel any way you want. There is no "right" way to grieve.

This can't be emphasized enough. Go with whatever works for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss...

• Members

I am surprised by the emotion that sneaks up on me and the "firsts" I do now. The first time I come in the house after a visit to NC. There is no one at home to tell about the grandkids, no one to call and tell them I am safe at the hotel after a long day on the airplane, no one to call when I just want to talk to him....no one to tell about the movie we saw years ago. I could go on and on but really I am sad.

Archived