Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• widower2

• RichS

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
2 minutes ago, ThereIsAField said:

Wishing you well Rich - I'm still recovering from mine!

Thank you..............How are you doing with your recovery?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
23 hours ago, RichS said:

We had a nice time having dinner with friends yesterday. Also, FINALLY having my back surgery on Oct. 10th. Had to do some pushing on my part (no need to bore you with the details) last week, but I'm to report 5:15 AM on the 10th. Operation to begin at 7:15 AM. Hope the surgeons will have had a least a cup of coffee by then. :)

Will be thinking of you Rich 💪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 9/16/2024 at 12:06 PM, KayC said:

Got A/C out and stored, window fell out and frame bent badly, hammered it back somewhat and cleaned the sill, took me at least an hour to do.

Did all this and now they predict 87 Tuesday!  Good thing is, less smoke and I can open my windows and have fans running.  They also have close to 80 a couple of other days, but I've acclimated to colder weather

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I have a great positive for today.  I went with my son and grand kids to Wakulla Springs and while we were enjoying the cool clear water, a manatee swam right up to us. This huge gentle creature was within 2 feet of us for about 5 minutes.  It was literally looking us over, smelling us I think.  It eventually left us and ambled over to some other swimmers.  It was extraordinary. 

I have never been so close to a manatee before.  The children were amazed, and a little apprehensive, it was so big! The water was so crystal clear you could see the texture of their skin, the whiskers on their face, the look in their eyes.

I'm sure it is an experience the 5 year old will never forget. Hoping the little brother will retain the memory too.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/17270724860096089448709085739674.jpg

This is a photo of a manatee at Wakulla Springs,  if I successfully copied the link. 

Our manatee was in very shallow crystal clear water, maybe 4 feet deep.  I was standing, holding my almost 3 yr old grandson.  We were in the area roped off for human swimmers and the manatee came to us!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Not able to view it.  Maybe you have to be on your phone? 

I'm glad you had such a great experience with your grandchildren!  

• Like 1

• Members

Yesterday, a neighbor of ours came over to help Ross get some expanded memory on his laptop. It turned out to be less involved than any of thought, so problem solved. After that he and I had a nice chat about our lives (mostly mine). I've had him over the house in the past because he enjoys chatting as well. It felt good to talk, vent my feelings about the past, present and future. I love this board; but sometimes it feels better to talk things out rather than to type things out...........

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I have a very hard time typing, usually having to correct as I go as I quit counting my major hand injuries when I got to 17 since Covid, mostly dog bites, a horrible surgery gone awry, and severe burns, that's why I say 17+. :wink:

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 4

• Members

DMB,

Yeah Helene looks like she is going to pay me a visit.   

I was up on the roof cleaning my gutters today.  Took some pictures of my house and shed for before and after photo documentation for insurance, if needed. 

Eating up my ice cream to reduce my potential for  wasted food. 😊

I've  been through a lot of hurricanes so I have my preparations pretty well set. 

If Helene is going to be a cat 4 or 5, I may evacuate to Daytona Beach or Ocala where I have family. 

We will all know more in a couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
25 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

Yeah Helene looks like she is going to pay me a visit.

YIKES, NOT ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!! We got tons of rain in NC from Hurricane Debbie and had a boat load last week from the tropical depression. We are officially no longer in a drought situation here (YA THINK?!?!?......)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Hi Kay, 

A storm is brewing in the Caribbean. It is predicted to be coming to Tallahassee as a major hurricane on Thursday. 

Too early to get panicked as it might not follow the forecast.  But it has the potential to be a pretty big storm. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Fires, poor air quality, atmospheric rivers, ice storms, heat domes,  volcanoes, earthquakes, droughts, floods, we all have something to deal with.  At least with hurricanes we get days of advanced warning and generally they move on quickly. 

I appreciate  the prayers though.

• Hugs 3

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr
17 hours ago, RichS said:

I love this board; but sometimes it feels better to talk things out rather than to type things out...........

Went to visit some cherished friends yesterday afternoon after visiting Veronica at Miramar.  These are people that always checked in with us and Veronica always called them to see what was going on.  They always included us in their family events.  Was nice to sit and talk story about stuff, about the SD Padres making a run at the top wildcard standings, about life in general.  Adult company, if you will, instead of our older son who is living here now as he applies for work with different trucking companies after having been let go at his previous job.  I mean, I know he is an adult, but I just needed our friends’ company for a change.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Today took my old RAM pickup to get smog checked for CA registration renewal.  With 270k original miles, still running strong and the SMOG numbers are all at the lower end of the allowable limits.  Every two years.  Then did the renewal on-line, so that is all out of the aye for another year.  Hanging on to Old Truck.  All paid for in 2001 and only thing wrong is the paint is very worn and faded.  Might get it painted next year.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

All paid for in 2001 and only thing wrong is the paint is very worn and faded.  Might get it painted next year.  

I've held on to both of my cars as well. I have a 99' Toyota Corolla (not pretty, but it runs well at 137K). Also have a 2003 Honey Odyssey minivan with 117K on it. Also runs well. Trying to avoid car payments. Eventually, one or both of them will not be worth repairing, but for now they get me where I need to go.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I sold my 89 Nissan pickup about a year ago, one less thing to take care of, I couldn't afford to drive it, it got horrid mileage, it was two seats, my 86 1/2 one was king cab, it had a canopy, I loved it, it got 22 mpg, 18 when in 4WD. This one was 14 mpg, no canopy, small 2 seater and got 8 1/2 mpg when 4WD engaged.  I'm 10 miles from Oakridge so you do the math, I thought I'd save on insurance too but no, they only refunded me $17 out of the six month policy I'd just paid for, said I lost the multi-car discount.  They always have you!  But I miss it being here.

Yesterday was nice, today mid nineties, ugh. Shouldn't have taken the A/C out already!  October in a week!  Have to make two trips into Oakridge, one today, one tonight.

My daughter has an old Camry (99?) God knows how many miles on it, A/C doesn't work, but she loves it, very dependable!

• Like 4

• Moderators

I've had mine for 5 1/2 years and still making payments, have less than a year to go.  Have put very few miles on it in spite of so far to go for everything.

• Like 4

• Members
3 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I never understood why some people replace their cars after 2 or 3 years. 

Back when we were kids that's what a lot of folks did. I guess the prices were more reasonable back then even though people were making less money. Hope the storm doesn't do too much damage to your area.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

My husband and I were always believers in maxing out our vehicles. We had 3 cars that each turned over 300,000 miles. He had a VW bug that had 200,000 miles on it when I met him.

I never understood why some people replace their cars after 2 or 3 years. 

Same. I have 150,000+ on mine and hoping to last to 200,000, but I fear age may get me before mileage...20 yr old car, I've replaced most things that can be replaced within reason (starter, brakes, timing belt, shocks etc). 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yesterday was 92 here, 97 in Oakridge, way too hot, esp. for having A/C removed!  Today is 70, much more doable!  Will be in 80s by end of week so enjoying it while I can!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Spoke too soon, like a monsoon! Thunder, raining branches, Iris took us home after we'd been there 15 minutes!

Didn't predict rain until 5 pm, it's 1!

• Confused 3
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Not sure it’s a positive or not, but, overall I guess it could be.  Made reservations to go to Hawaii in November, just a short 4-night stay at the Hale Koa military hotel in Honolulu.  That’s the hotel Veronica and I had reservations at for last week of April last year, before we had to cancel the trip due to her kidney failure.  Why am I going?  Feel like I have to get this out of my system.  That and I got an email from the hotel announcing 20% off room rates for an end of summer special that kind of convinced me.  I figure I am going for Veronica because she can’t anymore, in her memory.  If you were to ask me if I am excited about going, my answer is just like my recent trip to TX.  No, not really excited, just, like I mentioned, one of those things I need to do for myself.  I’ll spend time there with a retired engineer friend from the last place I worked at before retiring.  See how it goes.  

• Hugs 2

• Members
4 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Thursday is the big day.  130 mph sustained  winds coming my way.  The city already sent out notices to expect no power for up to a week.

Our prayers are with you, Gail....................

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Rey Dominguez Jr said:

Made reservations to go to Hawaii in November, just a short 4-night stay at the Hale Koa military hotel in Honolulu.

I hope your trip goes well and more power to you for doing this.

Gail, prayers are going up for you and everyone in the path...I have a friend who was hit in Mexico yesterday, waiting to hear from her. And like you, I hope their predictions (no power for a week) are worst case scenarios.

It seems weird, while for us the fires haven't died down yet, it's been 2 1/2 months...slowly getting better. Haven't heard if yesterday's lightning started any new fires.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Good for you Rey. 

When I have returned to places we enjoyed there was a fair bit of sting and nostalgia but also a cathartic experience. I have done a few places we dreamed of going but never got to and they felt a little hollow without her; I assume it was her absence , in my imagination it was an us experience and reality was just me. I guess I need a new wish list.

My positive today is I felt fall in the air this morning . The start of another change of season.

• Like 2