Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of my dear sister

Liz

• Members

My name is Liz and I just found this website. My dear beloved sister Cathy passed away suddenly on January 17th. Her youngest daughter came home from school and found her on the couch. The only consolation is that it seems like she layed down to take a nap, even put a quilt on her, and never woke up. But beyond that there is no other consolation to be found. I cannot bear to think of her daughter being alone and finding her like that. She has three children, a son who is 27 and married, a daughter who is 25 and lives at home and then the 18 year old. They are just lost. Cathy's poor husband is so bereft that I worry about his health. Cathy had health issues, but nothing that seemed imminent. She was full of vim and vigor just the day before when we spoke and texted each other all day long. The morning of th 17th, she saw her husband and two daughters off to work and school, everything seemed fine. Cathy was my only sibling and our parents died 9 months apart 6 years ago. I am married without children but am very close and always have been to Cathy's children. I feel like the foundation that my life was built upon is just gone. I am surrounded by family and friends, but I feel so alone. I have been spending most of my free time with her family in Brooklyn. I live about an hour away which seems like a million miles sometimes. Cathy and I were as close as two people could be our whole lives. We grew up sharing a bedroom and doing everything together. She was my big sister, my protector and best friend. We spoke several times a day every day. Her youngest daughter is a senior in high school and this is such an important year for her. She will graduate in June, she has her prom coming up that her mom should be there to help her get ready for, she has all her college applications in and is awaiting her acceptance letters. It's so hard to imagine getting through all of this without her mother there. We, of course, will, but it will be such a struggle. The only thing keeping my sanity is focusing on all of them. Her poor husband just called me to wish me a Happy Valentines Day because he does not have his wife at home to say it to. I am sitting here at work as I type this and it is all I can do to not burst into tears. I have a hard time imagining the future now that she is gone. I try to keep moving so I don't dwell too much, but you can't run forever. I had a melt down last night when I went up to bed. My husband doesn't even know it because he was downstairs watching tv. He was very very close to Cathy too. He is trying his best to help me through this, but what can he do or say? I am glad I found this site and hope I can find some solace here.

Liz

• Members

Hey Liz,

I'm so sorry for you and your family. I know how hard it is to accept losing someone you love so deeply. I lost my beautiful daughter in July, and it has been very hard learning to accept that she is gone. The good thing about this site is that there are so many people who know exactly how we feel, because they have experienced it too. Most people go to Loss of a Child, and then to the thread Loss of an Adult Child and post. There are so many wonderful people who post there, and I know they will be there for you if you will post there too. I pray that you find the comfort you need. God bless you and your family.

My name is Liz and I just found this website. My dear beloved sister Cathy passed away suddenly on January 17th. Her youngest daughter came home from school and found her on the couch. The only consolation is that it seems like she layed down to take a nap, even put a quilt on her, and never woke up. But beyond that there is no other consolation to be found. I cannot bear to think of her daughter being alone and finding her like that. She has three children, a son who is 27 and married, a daughter who is 25 and lives at home and then the 18 year old. They are just lost. Cathy's poor husband is so bereft that I worry about his health. Cathy had health issues, but nothing that seemed imminent. She was full of vim and vigor just the day before when we spoke and texted each other all day long. The morning of th 17th, she saw her husband and two daughters off to work and school, everything seemed fine. Cathy was my only sibling and our parents died 9 months apart 6 years ago. I am married without children but am very close and always have been to Cathy's children. I feel like the foundation that my life was built upon is just gone. I am surrounded by family and friends, but I feel so alone. I have been spending most of my free time with her family in Brooklyn. I live about an hour away which seems like a million miles sometimes. Cathy and I were as close as two people could be our whole lives. We grew up sharing a bedroom and doing everything together. She was my big sister, my protector and best friend. We spoke several times a day every day. Her youngest daughter is a senior in high school and this is such an important year for her. She will graduate in June, she has her prom coming up that her mom should be there to help her get ready for, she has all her college applications in and is awaiting her acceptance letters. It's so hard to imagine getting through all of this without her mother there. We, of course, will, but it will be such a struggle. The only thing keeping my sanity is focusing on all of them. Her poor husband just called me to wish me a Happy Valentines Day because he does not have his wife at home to say it to. I am sitting here at work as I type this and it is all I can do to not burst into tears. I have a hard time imagining the future now that she is gone. I try to keep moving so I don't dwell too much, but you can't run forever. I had a melt down last night when I went up to bed. My husband doesn't even know it because he was downstairs watching tv. He was very very close to Cathy too. He is trying his best to help me through this, but what can he do or say? I am glad I found this site and hope I can find some solace here.

Liz

Archived