Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

loss of father

lala

• Members

I lost my father on December 22, 2011 he was my whole world. I adored him and looked forward to speaking to him on the phone daily. Although he lived in a so far away I managed to maintain a strong connection. He was my hero and my biggest influence. i find it very hard to go on with work and deal with my daily chores through out the day without thinking of him. I rarely go a day without finding my self talking to him and still in shock that he is gone. Its Feb. 12, 2011 and I miss him more than ever.

• Members

Hey Lala,It is going to take you some time. You are in shock and grief takes time to heal. Take things easy and be kind to yourself. You will probably feel physically drained as you go through the grieving process. Stay on the site and connect with others who have endured loss and it will help. I am so very sorry for the tragic loss of your dad. It is so wonderful that you had such a close relationship with him. There are many who never know such a loving father/daughter relationship. He sounds like a wonderful dad that you are going to really miss. I am so very sorry for your hurt and pain. ((hugs)),Maddy

• Members

This is my first post on this site...believe it or not it has been 12 years since I lost my father. I was 22 and he was only 45. He was a perfectly healthy man who never smoke or drank and was a moral man. Yet, he died suddenly of a strep disease (yes the same one you get when you have strep throat). It has been 12 years and I still can not manage to make it months without crying and missing him terribly. I remember his mouth and his body language. He was the most decent, generous person I knew. And I know I will never know another person like him. He also died in December (1999). That has to be one of the hardest months to lose someone. Holidays are forever changed. There is always a white elephant in the room. You want so much to move on and go on living, but you feel guilty that you are not acknowledging the person who is gone. My advice is to talk about your feelings....I guarantee there is someone else feeling the same thing. I try to hold things in....it's been 12 years and this is my first grief post or even acknowledgement. Don't wait 12 years. I still miss my father every day. I hope one day that I will not have to break down every few months. I think if I would have started a process like this, it may have helped me along the way. Most people feel like you shouldn't feel "that bad" since you lost your father....they will say that is normal in life...for the parents to go first. However, it is NOT normal to lose a father at a young age.....it is just as hard as losing anyone, especially if you are close. Remember the good times as often as you can. Find others that are grieving for him as well...share your stories. My sister's and I have started a tradition to have dinner on his birthday every year. This year, we opened our dinner up to public on facebook....we invited people to share stories about our dad as we were sharing stories ourselves.....it was the best thing we could of done.

• Members

This is my first post on this site...believe it or not it has been 12 years since I lost my father. I was 22 and he was only 45. He was a perfectly healthy man who never smoke or drank and was a moral man. Yet, he died suddenly of a strep disease (yes the same one you get when you have strep throat). It has been 12 years and I still can not manage to make it months without crying and missing him terribly. I remember his mouth and his body language. He was the most decent, generous person I knew. And I know I will never know another person like him. He also died in December (1999). That has to be one of the hardest months to lose someone. Holidays are forever changed. There is always a white elephant in the room. You want so much to move on and go on living, but you feel guilty that you are not acknowledging the person who is gone. My advice is to talk about your feelings....I guarantee there is someone else feeling the same thing. I try to hold things in....it's been 12 years and this is my first grief post or even acknowledgement. Don't wait 12 years. I still miss my father every day. I hope one day that I will not have to break down every few months. I think if I would have started a process like this, it may have helped me along the way. Most people feel like you shouldn't feel "that bad" since you lost your father....they will say that is normal in life...for the parents to go first. However, it is NOT normal to lose a father at a young age.....it is just as hard as losing anyone, especially if you are close. Remember the good times as often as you can. Find others that are grieving for him as well...share your stories. My sister's and I have started a tradition to have dinner on his birthday every year. This year, we opened our dinner up to public on facebook....we invited people to share stories about our dad as we were sharing stories ourselves.....it was the best thing we could of done.

• Members

• Members

I know your dad would be proud to know his children loved him enough to honor him this way. I'm glad you had such a wonderful dad, and have such wonderful memories. God bless you.

Archived