Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Dad was the best

LisaD

• Members

Hello,

I am not sure how to use this site. But my Dad died several years ago while I was on the phone to him, I heard his last breath while I was telling him how much I loved him. He was in a coma at the time but I know he heard me . We were very close he was a kind, intelligent and gentle person. He was the heart of our family and now I still miss him and feel vulnerable without him. The rest of my family don't show much emotion or talk about him. I only cried for a few days and then stuffed the sadnesst as no one else seemed comfortable with emotions. Since his death I have trouble sleeping is this common? I did go to a grief counselor and didn't get much sympathy with her, she said I should get over it in 6 months or so and move on. Any tips?

thank you

Lisa

• Members

Hello,

I am not sure how to use this site. But my Dad died several years ago while I was on the phone to him, I heard his last breath while I was telling him how much I loved him. He was in a coma at the time but I know he heard me . We were very close he was a kind, intelligent and gentle person. He was the heart of our family and now I still miss him and feel vulnerable without him. The rest of my family don't show much emotion or talk about him. I only cried for a few days and then stuffed the sadnesst as no one else seemed comfortable with emotions. Since his death I have trouble sleeping is this common? I did go to a grief counselor and didn't get much sympathy with her, she said I should get over it in 6 months or so and move on. Any tips?

thank you

Lisa

Lisa:

There is no set time for getting over your grief.

Anyone that tells you that is WRONG.

We all grieve in different ways and each individual has a different capacity of emotion. Consequently our grieving periods will vary person to person.

I suggest you find another grief counselor that will not place an arbitrary time limit on your grief. My counselor tells me every time I see her that my grief has to run its course - that there is no specific time limit..

All you can do is try and handle each day at a time until the pain subsides little by little.

We are all here to help you Lisa, so don't be afraid to reach out to us.

Frank

• Members

I lost my dad 9 months ago on the 13th. I have learned that once you think things are getting better they get worse. You have to look at the positive that you had with your father and hold on to those memories more then ever. My father was taken away suddenly by a teenage driver that was not paying attention. Im so sorry to hear of your fathers death. Each person grives in their own way and handles things very differently. You will find peace somewhere where for a moment it all goes away. Keep your head up and confide in the people that are there for you the most. Stay strong.

Archived