Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my mom its hard to feel

debbie8800

• Members

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since my mother has died, i have trouble watching a sad or emotional movie or show. I need to run out of the room. The world seems different and strange without her in it.

Its like i don't want to see anything to do with love just yet. Has anyone else experienced this?. Also foods like grapefruit, and other foods my mother ate, I couldn't bring myself to eat them without her. Is that strange?

Happy Holidays to all!!

• Members

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since my mother has died, i have trouble watching a sad or emotional movie or show. I need to run out of the room. The world seems different and strange without her in it.

Its like i don't want to see anything to do with love just yet. Has anyone else experienced this?. Also foods like grapefruit, and other foods my mother ate, I couldn't bring myself to eat them without her. Is that strange?

Happy Holidays to all!!

Your feelings are not in the least bit strange. That is another stage to grieving. At the beginning any association to the person you have lost causes extreme pain. Memories are strong triggers to our emotions. The scent of a favourite perfume, the smell of a favourite food, a song played, or a television program that they loved, etc. After all, they made a huge impact in your life. Right after my son died I sat in our car when my husband went into a store to pick up a few things. My legs literally failed me. He had died only a few days before. I had the radio tuned to classical. Out of the blue they started to play the song in a war movie that Jeff and I had watched several times together. I just froze as the pain washed over me. A panic set in that I would never see hin again in my lifetime. It was unbearable. If I went into a grocery store and they were playing the music from a band that he loved I had to walk out leaving my groceries. This will change in time. It does for us all. It still triggers the memories, but the pain is not as bad. Hang in there Debbie. You will see in time that you can gently let your Mom go. You will see her again one day.

Happy New Year to you! And my sincere wish for finding peace in your heart this year. Take care.:)

Kate

• Members

Thank you Kate, yes you understand, I appreciate your heart felt response. Happy New Year Here is to hoping this year is much better. Debbie

• Members

Happy Holidays to all!!

I'm experiencing the same dilemma, Debbie. I worked from home to take care of my mom. Consequently, we had all our meals together. Just sitting down to eat now triggers that memory and I feel her loss so much more.

Same for television. I'd be working on the computer and she'd be in the other room laughing or making comments about the TV show. Even now, I have to keep the TV on just so I can feel somewhat normal.

The silence in the house is overpowering now. I don't know how I can get over that. I don't want to forget my mom, but the memories just make me powerless sometimes.

• Members

Debbie I am the someway... when I had.to.go.grocery.shopping for xmas the closer to the store I got.the more anxiety I was feeling almost to the point of overwhelming

Everything it seems makes me.feel.that way. New years was extremely hard.for me. All day long all I.did was cry. Mom.wad an elvis fanatic and to hear elvis on the radio makes me break.down, to walk past her room, to.watch tv, just about everything I.would say ' oh me and mom would do.that or I.use to make that for mom or mom would really Like that' then I break down again

I.miss her so much. It's so overwhelming ti the point I hardly eat, I can't sleep and all I do is cry.

I don't think I.will feel ok.again

Archived