Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

CBD oil and senior dogs

tuk24zs

• Moderators

My dog had cancer, he was abruptly diagnosed two weeks after a "clean bill of health!"  Vet didn't offer any care, nothing.  I told him "Don't worry, I'll take care of my dog," and I did.  I had him on CBD oil for anxiety and pain, and SAMe (for mood elevation) as well as Milk Thistle (his liver was shutting down.  He didn't have prior medication.  Here is his cancer journey:

His Memoirs:

• Members
On 12/17/2022 at 6:17 AM, KayC said:

My dog had cancer, he was abruptly diagnosed two weeks after a "clean bill of health!"  Vet didn't offer any care, nothing.  I told him "Don't worry, I'll take care of my dog," and I did.  I had him on CBD oil for anxiety and pain, and SAMe (for mood elevation) as well as Milk Thistle (his liver was shutting down.  He didn't have prior medication.  Here is his cancer journey:

His Memoirs:

https://cbdhemp.direct/

thank you s much for your suggestion. really appreciate that.

• Like 1

• Members
CamrenWoodward

I have not tried giving CBD oil to my dog. It is important to consult with a veterinarian before making any changes to your senior dog's medication regimen. Your veterinarian can provide guidance on how to safely taper off the current medication and start your dog on CBD oil. They can also help determine the appropriate dosage of CBD oil based on your dog's weight and condition. When switching from traditional pain medication to CBD oil, it is generally recommended to gradually taper off the medication over a period of several days to avoid any potential withdrawal symptoms. I consider CBD oil to be the best for pain, even for humans.

• Moderators

Every situation is different.  I live in a rural area and when my Arlie was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, the vet offered no help/direction.  I did my own research and provided hospice at home, including CBD oil as well as other supplements.  It wasn't possible to take him the three hour round trip to a vet out of town while he was dying of cancer, and I gave him the best of care.  She may need help tapering off the current medication but to suggest I somehow failed when I began my dog on CBD is offensive.  I cooked for my dog, gave him Probios, Milk Thistle, and SAMe.  He was able to live another 2 months ten days, after which I felt his deterioration warranted his euthanasia.  I took him to the nearest vet, and they botched it, their scale was off so they under-anesthetized him, causing him severe pain at the end when it should have been easing him into what was next.  So much for vets.  I do have a vet for my next dog but I also stand my ground with them, they are not God and not always right.  We are their best advocates. When telling someone what to do, please be careful with your words.

• Members

We had a German shepherd years ago who was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy...he would eventually go lame. The orthopedic vet gave him 6 months before he would become lame. As there was no cure, there were no meds he could go on. We put him on CBD oil and he lived a year and a half until he went lame at which point we put him to sleep, he was just under 10 years old. 

During that year and a half, we gave him one walk every day with a slipper sock on because he was knuckling his one paw. His spirit and his mood were still incredible, when he finally lost feeling in his one rear leg, he still wanted to go for walks, even dragging that leg. We knew the rest of his legs would go lame so we called the vet to our home to euthanize him here, he dragged his leg over to the vet to greet them that day, he was in spirit still the same happy full of life dog he'd always been. I fully believe the CBD oil gave him quality nof life until the end, just physically his legs began to go lame. 

I take CBD oil for pain, I'm unable to tolerate the side effects of painkillers, the CBD oil works wonders for me, the pain is manageable, the days when it is worse, I increase the dosage. No side effects from CBD oil either!

• Like 1

• Moderators

@maud (((hugs))) My son's dog had that, his front paws turned under, my son bought him custom tennis shoes, which worked for a while, then he made him a walker, which worked for a while (the ones you buy are made for back paws dragging).  Finally he went to a special wagon they'd use to take him on his walks. His tail fit in between the slats and cleared the ground by an inch.  

One day they came out to their Baha and there was blood bath everywhere, poor Skye in pain, they rushed him to the nearest vet where he was euthanized.  He is buried in my back yard, next to where Arlie is buried.  Skye was my first granddoggy and lived with me half his life, he will always be my favorite.

I am so glad you got 1 1/2 years more out of your dog and now it's working for you!  Here's our Skye...

Skye at Home Depot2.jpg

• Like 1

• Members

Oh, nice picture! Yes, we would have got him a special wheelchair but because of the terrain, bush, rocks it just wouldn't have worked out. And John wanted him to leave this world with some dignity left. Alot of people when the hear CBD oil, they won't try it for pain because of the marijuana reputation, not realizing that CBD and THC are two separate components. No high in CBD, lots of high in THC. I'm very happy I discovered it for me and the pain. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah, Skye always had that happy, happy look, I loved it.  He was so special.  He'd always give me the best greeting! He loved his grandma!

We didn't know about CBD back then, sure could have used it on him.  I tried it for my hands but it didn't help me.  Not sure what it does for blood sugar. Something to check into.

• Members

@KayChave you tried coconut oil and cannabis cream for your hands? I know people who have arthritis and said it helped, I also had a friend (had, I have none anymore) who put some on her son's excema and it helped. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, I have a whole drawer full of ointments and creams, there's a cannabis guy just three houses down who made me some, plus I'd bought some.  The only thing that seems to help is Voltaren and I can only put it on at night as my puppy wants to lick my hands! Not good, besides, I wash my hands all the time during the day and put hand lotion on.  A friend sent me some she got from her MIL who is a traveling rep for pharmaceutical, I really appreciated it, at the time it was $45/prescription!

• Like 1

• Members

It sounds like you've got quite the arsenal of remedies for your senior pup. The struggle with the puppy wanting to get in on the skincare routine is all too relatable – gotta love their curiosity! Voltaren is a game-changer, though, isn't it?

Have you ever considered checking out a medical cannabis clinic for your furry friend? I've heard some amazing stories about CBD oil for pets, and it might be a gentler option. Either way, kudos to you for being so proactive in taking care of your pup's well-being!

• Moderators

I just read an article about Voltaren being toxic to dogs...yep!  They must put something appealing in it that draws them to licking it. 😡