Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

• Members

My dad passed about 3 months ago and since then I’ve lost my job and my housing. I’m struggling not to push people like my partner and friends away even though they’re being supportive and I’m scared of losing everything else or starting over. I’m still pretty young and an only child and I feel like I’m in the deepest depths of grief and depression and anxiety I could be. I’m not sure how to cope tbh. My dad was my guide in life and I feel like I have no idea who I even am anymore. 

• Members

I am sorry to hear that. 

I experienced similar thing when my father passed away. The first few months after his passing were blurry and there were days where the most productive thing I did was just showering or eating. A friend ended up staying with me for a few days to make sure I am eating, the same friend that I eventually pushed away because of a silly thing.

If I may offer a recommendation, based on my experience, it will probably be better to start small. Everything is very overwhelming at this stage and sometimes we just don't know where to start. No one wants to be in this situation, but at the same time it's only natural to feel the grief and sadness. Please take all the time you need, and just start small. Even as simple as getting up.

There are days where we'll fall back, but it's okay to start over. It's okay to still feel sad too. It has been over a year for me since my father passed and I still miss him everyday. I heard that many people still feel sad about it even after years too.

I hope things will get easier for you. 

• Members
grievingwoman
On 12/14/2022 at 12:05 AM, Montyd said:

My dad passed about 3 months ago and since then I’ve lost my job and my housing. I’m struggling not to push people like my partner and friends away even though they’re being supportive and I’m scared of losing everything else or starting over. I’m still pretty young and an only child and I feel like I’m in the deepest depths of grief and depression and anxiety I could be. I’m not sure how to cope tbh. My dad was my guide in life and I feel like I have no idea who I even am anymore. 

Montyd sorry for your loss of your dad. Your feelings are completely normal, and don't let anyone tell you different. A loss of a sense of self is actually expected when we lose a parent. I lost my dad when I was very young and I just lost my mom two weeks ago and I'm middle aged now. I would recommend that you join as many grief forums online as you can, and look for online certified grief counselors who can see you virtually over Zoom or a similar platform. 

Look into setting a goal each day for yourself. That's what I'm doing. Like, today I will clean my balcony. Tomorrow I will go for a walk. The next day I will watch an episode of my favorite sitcom. Things like that. Small, doable goals. Start there. And try to find an online certified grief counselor who you can see virtually.