Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do you correctly use the "quote"?

Robert D.

• Members

Hi Robert.  I think this might help.  I took it from an old post of mine, but I think the process is still the same.

Quoting whole post:

If you want to quote a member's entire post, you just go down to where it says "Quote" at the bottom left of the post and click on that.  The whole post will be copied as a quote into a reply box.  I assume that's what you've been doing?

Quoting multiple whole posts:

If you want to quote multiple whole posts, click on the plus sign next to "Quote" and then select each whole post you want to copy for quoting.  A little box appears to the bottom right, showing how many posts you have selected.  Click on that and the multiple posts copy into your reply box.

Quoting part of a post or posts (what I believe you're asking about specifically):

If you want to quote just a part of a post, select the text you want to quote (front to back; back to front doesn't pick it up for some reason).  It will be highlighted as is typical.  Then hover over the text.  A little box that says, "Quote selection" appears to the right and under your selection.  Click that and the selected text copies into your reply box.

Responding to specific member(s) without using a quote:

If you want to simply direct a reply to a member without quoting, type @ and then start typing the member's screen name (no spaces after the @).  When you see the members name on the drop down list, click on that.   The @Name goes blue and the post will be flagged for that member.

It took some playing around for me to figure out these various ways of quoting/addressing members.  It's not completely intuitive, but I worked in the aerospace/technical/scientific industry, plus my husband was a CPA and software developer, so I learned to just "thrash about" (my husband's term) until I figured out stuff.

• Like 4

• Members

Foreverhis......I appreciate that!...thank you!

4 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Quoting part of a post or posts (what I believe you're asking about specifically):

Foreverhis.....Got it!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Saving these directions to my grief folder!  Still don't get the multiple quote part but maybe someday I will. ;)

• Members

Small correction to quoting part of a post(s):

I checked and the Quote Selection box will appear regardless of if you select the text front to back or back to front.

Kay, I did the multiple whole post thing wrong for ages and don't really use it, so I'm not sure how good I am with it now either.:)

• Haha 1

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I do multiple quoting but just not all at once! :D

That’s how I have found it best for me because then I don’t get confused as to which quote I want to use.👍

• Like 1