Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It was my fault. And i could have prevented it.

Husky_Dad

• Members

My sweet 10 month old husky male was shot today, he died in my arms and im devastated. He has never been aggressive toward any animal. I live in a small town and usually run my dogs i have, had, I had 5 huskies all from the same parents, just two separate litters. He had a tendancy to jump our 4 foot fence and eat garbage in the neighbors drive. We've tried so many things to keep him in the yard. High voltage neck collar (shocks himself until hes over the fence), tethers (broke the metal connectors) leashing him to the porch while we are at work.

So, my wife and i scrounged up what we could and with the help of credit, we were able to afford a 6 foot fence. 

This morning we tried not leashing him. Only for him to end up killing a cat that wandered into our yard, getting out of the yard, again, and proceeding to go down the street and killing some chickens. 

I looked for him everywhere. Down alley ways, in known locations that he liles to sit and watch the kids get on the school bus. Never leaves a block radius. 

Then i hear the pop of a rimfire .22. Then my dogs distinct in pain yowling. I hear it shots pop twice more. I run over to the sound and there he is in the yard two shots in his midsection and one between the eyes. He was whimpering when i ran up i collapsed when i saw him. He saw me and scampered into my lap. 

I cant cope. I got done burying him about 7 hours ago and now Im sitting infront of a bottle of vodka contemplating on drinking it all while my wife is asleep in our room. He was my boy. I miss him so much. I felt him take his last breath and felt the last beat of his heart. I cant help myself from crying right now as i type this. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  Poor dog, they never get the benefit of a trial or parole, just the pop, that's it.  A hard price to pay.

Huskies are my favorite dog.  My last dog was a Husky/Golden Retriever, weighed 140 (dieted down to 110 and held finally).  He was about as perfect a dog as any I'd ever find.  I called him my soulmate in a dog.  He got cancer and died three years ago.  It's, along with the death of my husband 17 years ago, the hardest thing I've ever been through.

I know they are spirited, strong willed creatures with a mind of their own.  It takes someone special to own a Husky and train them.  Seriously.  My neighbors had a puppy, Bella, they dearly loved but rehomed "because it was too energetic for them."  Then they got a Husky.  I wondered WHY a Husky when they couldn't handle Bella?!  I mean, I don't think they ever looked up about the breed!  They are one of the most "returned" dogs a rescue has!  My Klee Kai (miniature Husky) and her play together every day the last 2 1/2 years!  She is beautiful and her mom has worked hard on taking her "off leash" to run every day...not on our road, but in a very remote area.  I worry about her with all the wildlife that is out there.  Taking them off leash seems risky to me, not only so the dog doesn't run off, but it can make them prey to their surrounding wildlife.  At home she has a 6' fenced yard.  Still she has gotten out, but for the most part, stays home.  They have a large property so a lot of room to run, hide, explore.

Losing our dog seems one of the very hardest things to me, they interact with us continually, make us their study, love to please us (for the most part), and have such personality!  They are our special being, God's gift to to the world.  And when they are no more...it leaves this huge empty hole in our hearts.

My hope for you is in the days/months that follow, you can find some peace and forgive yourself you imagined wrongs.

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died 17 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
Breaking the Power of Guilt
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.