Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Can't upload picture....

Robert D.

• Members

I tried to upload a picture ...but when I do it is too large a file  ..or something like that....I'm trying..as I intend on being here for a long time.....should I use my FB picture?....Any ideas....?

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Robert.  Yes, I understand the frustration of having standard picture files be too large. 

What I've done is use photo editing software to resize them so they fit within the maximum allowed 500 MB (I think it is).  I would imagine any photo editing software has this feature. Another option is to email them to yourself and choose the "small" or "medium" size file resize if your email program has that option.  Most email servers slow down if files are too large, so the programs usually have the option to make them smaller.

I have a few programs and the one I use most is really old, but I'm sure the newer ones are even more user friendly for editing.

I hope that helps.

• Like 3

• Members

Hi Robert. It is frustrating but as @foreverhis mentioned, you will need to resize the photo using a photo editor. I looked online for any free photo resizing sites. I work in graphics and printing so I figured there would be and sure enough, there are some. This is one that I found and tried out... https://picresize.com  Here are the steps to follow....

First thing it asks is to upload the photo you want to use from your computer. Click on the large window "drag and drop a file here". This will open your lists of computer files. Once you locate your photo, click open and your photo should appear.

Scroll down and you will see "resize your picture". I tried "25% smaller".

Scroll down a bit more to the "save as" portion. If you save it as a jpeg, go to the right and type in "500" in the max file size window. 

Click "I'm done. Resize my picture" which takes you to the next page. Scroll down to "save to disk" and save it in your folder. 

It works nicely but depending on the size of your original photo, you may now need to reduce the new photo in order to get it down to the size for the grieving site. Also, the pic resizing site says that the resized photo will be deleted off their site within 20 minutes so keep that in mind. I have used similar sites like these many times. They are safe to use. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'd open it in Paint and resize it but I'm on my PC, don't know beans about phones...don't forget to crop after resizing..

• Members

Thank you all so much I really appreciate it.. will try to get to it sometime soon.. thank you for all the directions!!

• Like 1

• Members

@DWS  This is wonderful information.  Not everyone has photo editing software or experience using it.  As I worked in technical publishing (writing, editing, document designing), I still have a couple of the oldie-but-goodie options, as well as Photoshop (I use Elements 6.0 now instead of the whole deal) and a version of Paint.  It's really good to know that there are easy, user friendly, free options out there.

• Like 2