Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my cat in a gruesome way

Vrzy

• Members

My cat died yesterday morning. I woke up to my mom screaming my name telling me to go outside. I walk outside, and saw her dead body laying there. I could see her skin and ripped up pieces of fur scattered everywhere. The back gate had been left open, and my moms boyfriends dog got out. Hes very untrained and vicious. Hes attacked our cats before but not in a major way. I cant think about how much pain she was in. How violent this dog was with her and how fragile she is. She was already sick and not very mobile. She was losing a lot of weight and wouldnt even drink water. I dont even know how or when she got out. Im not sure how im going to deal with this. I just keep crying and thinking about the pain she went through, and how he completely chewed her up. Why. Ive had Pearl for 3 years and she is one of the sweetest cats ever. This cat was so special to me and i feel a hole in my heart. I feel so empty without her 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Vrzy said:

I cant think about how much pain she was in.

I am very sorry for your loss and esp. in the manner in which it happened and also such a premature death to a sweet precious kitty.

I want to tell you something I learned when I lost my cat, Miss Mocha, 6/3/2016, presumably to a cougar.  I'd let her outside, early in the day but broad daylight, cougars are night owls but occasionally they'll be out in the daytime as well.  I was outside working and never heard a thing.  Miss Mocha never ventured far, but the last time I saw her was in front of the forest, in our backyard.  Had she cried out or screamed, I would have heard it, but nothing...
I found out that the cougar picks them up from behind so they don't see them coming, and grabs them in his teeth by the neck, and takes off with them to do their business.  Another neighbor lost their cat the same day.  I had all the neighbors check their property and garages and put up flyers, posted, nothing.  Anyway, when the cougar grabs them, they go into shock, which would spare them feeling pain, and I would definitely presume that happened with your cat.  She may have seen him coming but it would have been quick and at first attack, she likely would have gone into shock as well, sparing her what came.  A lot of the tearing up likely occurred after her death.  

I'm sorry, when a dog has that taste for prey/blood, it doesn't leave them.  This dog needs rehomed where there are no pets or children to attack, and possibly even euthanized.  I hope this attack was reported so it's on record and the authorities can best decide what happens to him.  

The what ifs blame game happens to most of us going through early grief, it did me when my husband died 17 years ago...it's not that we are guilty of anything but loving them, and the truth is feelings are not facts, but it's that we can't wrap our heads around what happened, and our mind is trying to find some different possible outcome so it searches all the what ifs...

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
Breaking the Power of Guilt
A Dangerous Villain: Guilt
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2019/08/pet-loss-when-guilt-overshadows-grief.html
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2017/07/pet-loss-when-guilt-goes-unresolved.html

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace.

• Hugs 1

• Members
On 8/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, Vrzy said:

My cat died yesterday morning. I woke up to my mom screaming my name telling me to go outside. I walk outside, and saw her dead body laying there. I could see her skin and ripped up pieces of fur scattered everywhere. The back gate had been left open, and my moms boyfriends dog got out. Hes very untrained and vicious. Hes attacked our cats before but not in a major way. I cant think about how much pain she was in. How violent this dog was with her and how fragile she is. She was already sick and not very mobile. She was losing a lot of weight and wouldnt even drink water. I dont even know how or when she got out. Im not sure how im going to deal with this. I just keep crying and thinking about the pain she went through, and how he completely chewed her up. Why. Ive had Pearl for 3 years and she is one of the sweetest cats ever. This cat was so special to me and i feel a hole in my heart. I feel so empty without her 

I'm sorry you had to go through that...horrible. 

• Like 1

• Members

FB_IMG_1618069652624.jpg.6eba01949115e223602fc79770305f0e.jpg

On 8/31/2022 at 5:37 PM, Rhianna said:

I'm sorry you had to go through that...horrible. 

Just now, Rhianna said:

This was my boy Colombo. I lost him in the most horrific way, 2yrs ago,in February. It's caused PTSD, and destroyed me...

• Members
1 minute ago, Rhianna said:

This was my boy Colombo. I lost him in the most horrific way, 2yrs ago,in February. It's caused PTSD, and destroyed me...

I work for  In home healthcare place. I got home after a 12hr shift, to find that he hung himself with his harnest..its hard for Mr too..just can't. I wanna die

• Sad 1