Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Coming up on 6 years and the grief is resurfacing in new ways

4Hdad

• Moderators

I don't think I could or would accept a cheater back, but I respect your decision and hope the best for you, I totally understand your mixed bag of feelings and mean no disrespect.  I'm glad your daughter has continued contact with you.  My kids, not so much.  It seems life has moved on for everyone but me.  It's been 17 years and I'm growing old alone.  You're still working and have some contact out in the world.  My world is drawn inward it seems.  

If there is a "plan" in any of this, I don't know what it is.  I try not to give it much ado.  I trust God to know what He is doing, but as far as thinking there's a master plan...I guess I don't because that would negate our freedom to choose, and effects of our choices on our lives.  But I may be all wrong too. ;)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@4Hdad  Thank you so much for your well written post.  I'm sorry for your loss and all your secondary losses.  I wish I could take the pain away for all of us.  I'm just 15 months in.  My wife died in front of me at hospital.  I was helpless to do anything but touch her and beg her not to leave as the doctors frantically worked to save her.  They tried to kick me out of the room but I wouldnt budge.  I've been traumatized, and for the most part hate what life has become.  I am trying EMDR therapy to get the sadness down because I believe at the core of grief is sadness.  I'm only 52 but wish I were 92 and on my last round; too young and restless to retire, too jaded -- at least for the time being -- to care about "rebuilding" something.  However I will say that there are indeed days when I find it easier to be grateful for what I DO have; so many people have it so much worse.

Also thank you to all who responded to 4Hdad's post.  Your words are appreciated.  I appreciate you all.  This is one of the few places I can come and feel like people REALLY get it.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

For those who don't know...EMDR

@DMB I don't recall hearing your story altogether like this before, wow, you guys went through a LOT!  My heart goes out to you.  You deserve to have someone take care of you like you did for parents and parents in-law all that time.  And then to go through it with your husband...

• Members
On 8/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, 4Hdad said:

It feels selfish, like I'm not really grieving the loss of my wife, but the loss of my own life. Maybe it is and maybe I am. Maybe that's only a part of it, and it isn't selfish to recognize that very real loss. I miss my wife. I miss our messy, imperfect life together. I miss my life that died with her. The death of my wife was the beginning of the slow death of me. 

4Hdad these are the things i'm feeling too...we're grieving also the life we had with our loved ones! It's impossible separate the two...

we're missing the person who made possible a life worthy of being lived !

And if it feels selfish who cares ? It's our reality...

after 4 years i know you can regain a life but i'm feeling  a stranger in a foreign land, not anchored , dragged by the current..alone in a crowd!

It's not the same life anymore!

You have to adapt 'cos it's the only way to live, but i'd would like to take him back with all the problems...as you!

Unfortunately it's just the thing can never happen!

On 8/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, 4Hdad said:

Everything dies. Everything. Maybe it always was this way and our life together was simply a construct, a lovely scaffolding we created to obscure a futile existence. In that case, I miss the illusion and I wish I had appreciated it more before it was torn away.

I couldn't have said it better!

I miss that illusion too!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2