Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I'm new

Lost7

• Members

Dear Diane R.E.

I am so sorry did hear about your loss. A loss at any time of our loved ones is hard, much less looking forward to spending even more time together when you retire. I am grateful for the posts that I have found on this site. Thank you for all the good advice. I will be praying for you.

Hugs

Lost7

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Dear KayC

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I thought I was doing better about 5 months out but here at 7 months it's like it's starting all over again, I haven't heard that about the 6 to 7 months being the hardest, but that makes sense.

Hugs

Loss7

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Dear April Ballou

I'm very sorry that you lost your husband to COVID It is a terrible virus! I can't fathom your pain. My husband and I both contracted the  virus at the same time I just don't understand why I was spared and he wasn't. Life is just so hard and meaningless for me. Thank you for sharing.

Hugs loss7

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

@Lost7I understand.   My husband and I both got sick, we started taking cold medicine.   I got better and he got worse.  I took him to the hospital and had to leave.  They wouldn't let me stay with him.  Three weeks and three days later he died.  Sorry about your husband.   I know how hard it is.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

@NiquesMom sorry about your husband.   I know my husband wasn't in the hospital that long.  I know what your going through.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

I recently had Covid, nothing like Delta from last year, but still bad all the same, about 15 days, sinuses, congestion, fever, diarrhea, raised BS, not one person checked on me or called me.  I let my kids know after I survived it, my son called later that week, my daughter this week.  My little sister totally devalued my experienced in FB messaging, for which I had to just hurry and get out of there so I wouldn't respond something I could regret (or not).  Wow.  Even people in my church...nada.  Pastor's wife checked on me a week later (and I had posted it in the prayer group...no response) and another week later.  

Yet here it is, it changed you guys lives.  My next door neighbor has it, I'm checking on him.  I am so sorry you lost your spouses to this.  I can't think of anything harder. :(

• Hugs 3

• Members
April Ballou

We all have a missing piece of our hearts gone.  There is nothing that will change it.  We all will figure a way to cope with this loss.  Until then we have each other.  We can read other people's posts.  We can comment and maybe even find a friend.   

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

April Ballou

Thank you for your kind words! It does help with the loneliness. I guess you're right My heart will never be whole again.

Hugs loss7

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

https://www.griefhealingdiscussiongroups.com/topic/9845-grief-brain/#elControls_118453_menu

Found in above link:
This is probably something all of us can relate to. I don't think it has anything to do with age. We have lost a significant part of ourselves when our spouse has died. It took me a few years before I could concentrate on reading. I bought books on grief after Jim died and read them and couldn't remember that I had read them or that I even had them. I'm with Karen about the store. I make a list now and go just because I have to. I used to love to shop ~ not anymore. 

Yes, our hearts are broken but slowly, very slowly they begin to heal. They never mend completely but we learn to live with the cracks. There is a Japanese saying that when a bowl falls and breaks it is put back together with gold glue and that is okay because that is how the light gets in - something like that. If I can find the picture I'll post it. It still means something to me today after four years.  

Anne

Kintsukuroi means ‘to repair with gold’ in Japanese, and is the art of repairing pottery with gold and understanding that the piece is the more beautiful for having been broken.

Kintsugi-2[3].jpg

• Like 1

• Members

Grief brain/grief fog? It's no joke. I have always had a memory problem due to head trauma  but since my mom passed dec 16 2018 and then Snoop 9 14 2020 and now John 2 28 2022. It's just went straight downhill. Like it was said buy meat forget I even bought it. Hell forget when I went to the store last. I write a list. Put the list in my wallet. Get to the store remember (or think I remember) I forgot my list on my nightstand.  Try to remember what it was I went for. Get to the checkout open my wallet and there's the list. I only buy but so much at the store. Only me now so... I'll grab my stuff out of the car (neighbor took me to the store) I'll get in start putting things away and the neighbors knocking on my door. I've forgotten something in her car. If that's not bad enough I'll set my phone down at the checkout to get myncards out of my wallet. Then after I get settled in the car it will hit me the last I  remember me with my phone is me setting it down at the checkout. My heart stops skips beats and races all at the same time. Remember the neighbor took me to the store. I already feel like a bum for needing a ride but then I have to ask them to turn around and take me back to the store because I've forgotten my phone at the register. Get ½ way back to the store and my heart has sank because not only have they been gracious enough to take me to the store but theyre outting up with my forgetfulness. Then I rub under my leg and there's my phone.  I get so overwhelmed and panicked that I don't take time to calmly look for things I automatically go to doom. I just git a life alert thing. I'm not even 45 and I got the "help I've fallen and I can't get up" thing. True story

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I can relate to brain fog. It seems I can't concentrate on anything. When I go to the grocery store I end up buying same items every week to eat...eating is a chore now....I use to love to plan meals and cook for my love. I hate this misery.

Thanks for the links KayC. And goforth860 I pray the "fog" will ease soon.

Hugs Loss7

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

@Lost7 I hate cooking for just 1 person.  Most of the time I eat microwave food.   For me I have my cats that help me concentrate.   I pray and read my Bible. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

April Ballou I read my devotional too. I had a Pomeranian she died of old age in November 2021....our cat died in December...lost my husband in January and now I busy myself with my granddaughter who was born 5 days before my husband died. I get up at 6am go to my son's house watch my grandbaby until 7pm....go home  exhausted....try to sleep, usually get 6 hours on the couch because I can't sleep in our bed..my husband always wrapped his arms around me...I miss that so much.

Loss7 

• Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

@Lost7 wow that's alot of loss so close together.  I'm glad that you have your granddaughter.   My my got married back in November so I have 2 additional grandchildren,  they never met my husban. I do sleep in the bed me and my husband shared.  I have a small stuffed wolf that he bought me.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

April Ballou

I'msure you are grateful for the extra grandkids! I'm happy that you're able to sleep in the bed your husband shared with you. That is a goal I have for myself just not been able to master it yet.

Loss7

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Lost7 said:

usually get 6 hours on the couch because I can't sleep in our bed..my husband always wrapped his arms around me

Oh my gosh, that's me!  I have slept on our reclining loveseat since he died...the bed is a reminder of his absence.  I couldn't sleep there if I wanted to now.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Niquesmom

I am very sorry for your loss. I often wonder why my husband did not recover and I did. He was a very healthy person, infact this was his first time ever being in the hospital. I am so lost without him. My heart aches for you.

Hugs Loss7 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
April Ballou

@Lost7 for me sleeping in the bed we shared was hard at first.   But I had to get a new mattress and I had to get another home.  I had to go through so much after Darrell died.  I cried almost all the time for the first 3 months.  When I moved things slowly started changing.  I still have my moments.  I miss Darrell and love him still.  I pray that you can find comfort and peace.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I sleep in our bed but on my husbands side now. Our 9 year old son sleeps in the bed too, never has liked being alone. It got worse when Christopher went into the hospital. I don't know how lon we will do this but I dont care if he sleeps in my bed. He needs to know I am still here too i think.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

My son is the only reason I can continue. I know he was my husbands driving force to come back home. He coded twice but came back. He was on the vent twice and came off twice.  He was in the hospitals 281 days trying to get home. When they put him on the vent the third time Christopher told me no more. We miss him terribly but are trying to just keep stepping forward.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Christopher was my husband, 52 years old. Kyle is our son, 9 years old. Sorry for the confusion

• Like 1

• Members
April Ballou
25 minutes ago, NiquesMom said:

Christopher was my husband, 52 years old. Kyle is our son, 9 years old. Sorry for the confusion

@Lost7 I wish that I had someone to cuddle with.   But I'm all alone. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

April, have you thought of maybe a dog or cat? The same week my husband died we had to put down our dog we had for 14 years. The house was so quiet. My son wanted a cat but I didnt want anything. So instead I got him a pet rat. He loves his rat. You can pet him and love him, and I don't have to walk him like a dog and he cannot tear up my house like a cat.  We needed something and IT worked well for us.

20220814_084903.jpg

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

@NiquesMom That sounds like a perfect solution!  My little sister had one when she was a child, I remember hours of her and her friend sitting on the bottom of the stairs, playing with RatRat.  And they're clean and smell good.

10 hours ago, April Ballou said:

I wish that I had someone to cuddle with.   But I'm all alone. 

April, I can't imagine not having Kodie, but when he goes, I'm ready for sure!  I can't even fathom life without him.  I understand being all alone, all too well.  
Have you no cats or dogs?

• Members

@NiquesMom Its ok. It was probably me that got confused.  I'm laying here with Precious on my left and Cali on the right.  I'm the creme in the middle of the furry oreo but I wouldn't have it any other way. If it weren't for my girls I don't know what I would do. I seriously need them. I had Snoop my emotional support dog.  She was 17 when I had to lay her to rest. On the same day my dad had been murdered 23 years prior. I've always had animals.  They help with my PTSD anxiety and other mental and physical issues that I have. When I moved into these Apts they told me I'd have to have a drs note for my animals.  I told my psychiatrist that I needed a letter for my animals.  She said oh Snoop your ESA. I said no for all of my animals. She said animalS. I said yeah  Snoop and my cats Precious and Cali and my fish Charlie.  She said I've never written a letter for animalS. I have written letters for an animaL but not animalS. I said well you know that my animals are my babies. With me never being able to carry my babies to term and losing them these are my youngins.. I can not live without them. They are my life. I will be homeless before I  will get rid of my babies. If my babies aren't welcome I'm not welcome.  Ppl dont understand the effects they have for those who have mental and physical health issues. They lower BP and pulse. They can let you know when you're going to have an episode. I know when I had to lay Snoop to rest it killed me. I was effected bad. But Precious and Cali took up the slack. They're not dogs and don't come with their tails wagging when you call them. They're cats they come and go and do as they please. Do what they want when they want and how they want. But they have become my lap babies. They may not come when I say here kitty kitty. But if I start to have an anxiety attack or my blood sugar drops. If I start crying. They are right there. There is NO replacement for anyone or anything that has loved you. But to have an animal look at you and to give you unconditional love ❤️.  No matter what they love care and adore you. They will show you their kind loving spirit. I know my girls will not live forever and I know for certain that losing them is going to break my heart 💔. But I have unconditional love to give and the next animal or animals I get have unconditional love to give and they are very comforting and will give me company. So as long as I live I will continually have an animal. My babies. So if you can afford and have a lifestyle that will permit you to get some kind of animal. Even a fish. Charlie and I had a great relationship.  Fred's just getting settled in. I got him a cpl weeks ago But he and I will have a good relationship.  Any animal will look at you and interact with you. So get one. You'll be very glad you did.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/21/2022 at 4:58 AM, April Ballou said:

@NiquesMom. @KayC I have cats but they stay outside.  I am in he process of getting a dog.  

Oh April, that is wonderful!  I wish you the best with it.  Have you already found the one?

• Members
April Ballou

@KayC I found a teacup Yorkie .  She's beautiful.   The only problem is I need $580.  The lady is going to let me make payments on her.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Will she let you have her meanwhile?  I paid $800 for Kodie, even rescues aren't cheap anymore!

• Like 1

• Members
April Ballou

@KayC no unfortunately she won't let me have her until I pay for her.  Hopefully I can pay her off quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm so sorry both of you have to wait.  :(  Not even with a signed contract?  :wacko: