Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Today is 5 Years... What I Have Learned About Grief

AJWCat

• Moderators

Of course you haven't, we never forget them, no matter how many years pass.  Yes, you've learned the same things I have.  More than anyone can pen into words...

• Like 2

• Members

Reading this gives me comfort. I have just lost a dear cat of 2 years the same way, he ingested something and was poisoned. My and my boyfriend took care him really well and of course, some things are so cruel that it just happened without reasons and this is one of it. Honestly, I still am struggling to describe the feelings and my mind is shutting down from thinking about what had just happened. It's been 4 hours since our last goodbye, I couldn't sleep right now and I was at war with my head because I wanted to suppress all these depressing thoughts. Thank you again for this genuine post, it's totally relatable. Some people in my real life don't get it but I really feel like I am not alone right now.

• Members

Oh no @Masitah I am so sorry to read this! Sadly you are not alone, everyone here has lost our pets, for every reason you can imagine, and we are totally devastated. We never think we can get through it. We do, but it is NOT easy. I am glad my post helped you. Hang in there. :( 

• Like 1

• Members

@AJWCat :( Thank you. This is not my first time losing a cat but no matter how many losses I have ever experienced, it does not get any less painful. I have lost 3 cats so far (including Kittie) and right now I only have 1 left, and the only thing that played in my mind is that how do I cope if I happen to lose this one next...sigh. It's really getting depressing.

• Sad 1

• Members

It is hard. I have lost 3 too over my life. I love cats too much not to endure it though. No choice. 

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for this post. So well written. I'm not at 2 years yet, but I'm starting to understand this thing called grief. The despair and devastation stage has passed, yet as you say, I'll never be the same person again either. I don't know why but I can't help thinking of things as on a scale. Sometimes I think of a scale of sadness. Sometimes happiness. If I think of the day Goldie passed as a 10 on the sadness scale, I'd say I'm probably around the 8 Mark now. That can become a 9 often when something hits me. I suppose I'm just lumping all the stages of grief into one figure. As you also say, all we can do is go on. 

• Like 2