Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Fonzie 07/22/2022

dko

• Members

1496251510_fonzie(2016_06_2222_14_39UTC).JPG.9c1ecd9f4e641f83cf77fd54fa31f229.JPG

Fonzie passed away 7/22/22, he was in the 17 year age range. I rescued him in 2007 to be a companion for Daisy. I went in PetSmart to buy food for Daisy and Fonzie followed me around the store, he was there with Creatures great or Small. He was very friendly and went up to everyone wanting to be petted. He was also friendly toward other dogs and would wag his tail. He was a little bigger than what I wanted but I decided to take him anyway. 

He was so easy going and never growled at anyone. He wanted everyone to give him attention. He did have a bad habit of jumping up on people when I took them out walking. He was the perfect friend for Daisy, she was the boss and he let her have her way. I cut his hair and he just lay there and let me turn him around and roll over, I think he just liked getting the attention. When I would give him a bath he would jump in the tub. 

He would run at me in the back yard and at the last minute turn and run a different direction. Daisy would try to chase after him but he could run faster than her. He could be a little hard headed and stubborn. If he wanted to stay out in the yard he would not come in when I called him. He would just look at me and walk away. He loved to lay out in the sun and roll in the grass after I mowed. He even caught a baby rabbit one time and tried to bring it in the house.  If I got a bag of treats out and shake it, he would come running. They loved their treats. 

He was in good health most of his life. He did get an infection from a fatty tumor on this back hip. I took him for surgery and after I got him home I had to clean the wound. That was the only thing that ever happened to him until the last couple of years. I had to start giving him an anti inflammatory early this year. The pills made a big difference and he was more like his old self. He started having issues with his back legs a few weeks ago. I would carry him up and down the stairs. He did not like to be picked up and tried to do it himself but sometimes he couldn't make it. 

Last week his front and back legs started going out from under him when he would get up in the morning. After a few minutes he would be okay. Thursday night he started throwing up and again Friday. He could barely stand and would fall over. He started losing bodily fluids and I knew it was about time. I took him to the vet and they said nothing could be done. 

Fonzie was such sweet kind soul. I miss seeing him and Daisy play and run around the yard. I would bring them toy's home almost every weekend. Both of them would stand and stare at me while I removed the tags. He would take his in the bedroom and lay on the rug. He loved to make them squeak. 

I miss them both so much. Daisy died July 17th 2020. Fonzie lived two years and 6 days longer than her. I never thought about my life without them. here is nowhere I would have rather been than at home with them. Things just feel so different in this house now. They made such a big difference in my life. They were so excited when I would get home from work. 

I hope they both know how important they were to me. They were the two best companions I could have asked for. It was really hard on me when I lost Daisy and now Fonzie. Life will never be the same. They are both always on my mind. 

1429943641_daisyandfonzie.jpg.a2dfbf47b3f7b4e3abfbb39aa3476e7a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, dko said:

If he wanted to stay out in the yard he would not come in when I called him. He would just look at me and walk away.

This made me smile, sounds like my Kodie...he'll wait until I shut the door and THEN come!  It has to be HIS idea! LOL

Your Fonzie is beautiful, and I love your description of him, he sounds like he'd been dying to be someone's and that one was YOU!  

I read the rest of your story, and it breaks my heart that you had to lose them.  :(  I wish our time together was longer.  You are in my thoughts as you go through this.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Like 1

• Members

They were both my whole world. Whenever I made plans for anything I always put them first. I knew they were both getting old and I just didn't want to accept and never thought about a time they would not be with me. I always thought there would be another day with them. 

• Like 1