Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my cool

Suea

• Members

It will be 4 month on the 19th since my hubby passed. Yesterday my dishwasher leaked all over my new floor. It was the last straw for me and I went on a rant to friends and family of how much I hate being back here and this "needy" house and want to move back to where we were happy. I also ranted of hating that my beloved is in a box. Am I am losing my grip or is this normal. I have kept it together around everyone so far but one more thing going wrong set me off. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

I find that things like that push me over the edge

.  For the last 8 months, I've felt the need to bring order to my new life.  I have been organizing, cleaning, and repairing the home, I've been Sorting and storing, selling , or disposing of everything thing I own, and during all of  this if something goes wrong, or isn't perfect. I lose it and fall into depression.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@William M I am a bit OCD I like order. Frank's illness and passing has set everything out of wack. The dishwasher was the last straw. Normally I would have just taken care of the problem. Not sure why I flipped out.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Suea, it takes a lot to get me to loose my cool...normally.  But lately I have found myself having meltdowns over little things that didn't go right.  Or things I can't figure out easily.  It's like I just don't need one more thing upsetting me!  There's nothing wrong with loosing it every now and then. 

William M, I find comfort in order.  Everything has to be in it's place, or I consider it to be "chaos".  I have reorganized several closets and cabinets in the past 9 months.  I redid the filing system, and keep a ledger each month, to keep track of  my finances (though there's not much to keep track of).  When Paul was in Hospice, I found myself talking a lot about how I was going to handle things after he was gone.  His sister gave me a strange look one day when I was talking about it.  I told her that I cannot control Paul's illness or when God plans to take him.  So I have to focus on something I can control in order to keep my sanity.  Now I do it so I don't have to think about this quiet, empty house, and how alone I feel some days.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@cmp34 you sound like my twin. Yes lack of order = chaos. I hate chaos and cannot function.  Exactly how I feel as this house crumbles around me and drains my energy and cash. The fact that no matter what I did, and I tried everything,  I couldn't make my husband better or prolong his life. Everything was out of my control. I am excellent at keeping my temper under control and put up with a lot normally. This just sent me off the deep end.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@Suea It's funny that you say I'm your twin.  But a lot of what you say sounds like something I would post. 

Funny story.  I go to a couple of grief support groups.  The second time I went to one of them, a woman came in for her first time. Her husband had died 4 days before mine.  We live fairly close to each other, and even used the same funeral home.  We talked on the phone a few times, but that friendship just hasn't worked out.  At the next meeting, the woman who is in charge of  the meeting brought up the fact that we had "so much in common."  We both laughed!  As it turned out, she has piles of stuff all over her house that she doesn't want to deal with....I filed all of my paperwork, made all the calls, and updated everything during the first month.  Apparently, she's fine with chaos.  There are several other things that we are on opposite sides of too.  She's a nice lady, though.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

One of my best friends(who passed 4 years ago) was a "nice lady" but lived in a lot of clutter it made me crazy so I stayed out of her house and car so we could remain friends.

• Like 2

• Members

I've had several meltdowns since my husband died at the end of June.   Stupid little things send me right over the edge.  I have to be really careful dealing with people in stores because I'm often a hair's breadth away from losing it completely.  A couple of times I've even scared my cats.

I think it's just normal.  For me, whenever I got frustrated with something or somebody, I had my guy to help me through it.  Now I don't.

I think it's just a normal part of the evolution we go through with our significant others die and their moral support is gone. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 7/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, Suea said:

I think you're right... this whole process stinks.

Are you a Virgo?  I am.  Some have told me I have the patience of a saint, yet when my husband died I had thoughts and feelings that I have never experienced before.  The pure anger was one of them.  It was early on as well.  I literally was ready to burn the place down had it not been for my obsession of organization and getting things finished for him, which is what I did.  After that the loneliness sets in.  I am so very sorry for your loss.  Just wanted to let you know I feel you losing it over the dishwasher is perfectly normal.  Sorry to say there may be a few more things to go wrong and you will lose it again.  Just do it and don't give a thought to what anyone else thinks.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I am sorry for your loss. Why yes I am a Virgo. I have also heard I have the patience of a saint. I tend to go to anger  before I go to sadness.  Maybe because I stuff the hurt till it explodes. I can't stand disorder, chaos or unfinished business. I like things neat orderly and tied up in a bow. 

It didn't go that way with my husband's long illness and eventual death. So I was in a state of turmoil much of the time because everything was out of my control. I also wanted to burn the house down after he died! Funny you should say that.

Everything you just described is what I am going through and in that order. You are most definitely a Virgo.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
April Ballou

But my thing is I don't like crying around people.  For some reason when I get ngry I cry.  But there are alot of things that make me cry since my husband passed away.  I hold it in until I'm alone.  I find myself staying at home alone.   But I can't afford to go places.   

• Like 2

• Members

I understand the organizing, cleaning and anger. Its been 7 weeks today. Some days I can function almost normally. Today.....i hate the world. I think it is trying to deal with the insurance and medical bills, and i just want to scream "leave me alone, he is dead!"  It didnt work, he didnt come home and I just am so sad and lonely and trying to be a good mom to our 9 year old. I just feels overwhelmed and wish someone else could be the adult.

• Like 2

• Members
April Ballou

@NiquesMom I am so sorry that your having to deal with everything at once.  I remember when I had to.  It was the hardest thing I ever did. 

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, NiquesMom said:

I understand the organizing, cleaning and anger. Its been 7 weeks today. Some days I can function almost normally. Today.....i hate the world. I think it is trying to deal with the insurance and medical bills, and i just want to scream "leave me alone, he is dead!"  It didnt work, he didnt come home and I just am so sad and lonely and trying to be a good mom to our 9 year old. I just feels overwhelmed and wish someone else could be the adult.

I understand. I jumped through hoops to try to extend his life which didn't work,  and then afterward with SS cutting my income, medical bills,  his bills, my bills,  insurance etc etc. I am fighting mad that he is gone and with the aftermath that was dumped on me.

I am so sorry you are going through this too and with a young hurting child. My heart goes out to you. Stay strong.

• Like 1