Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief and care video - an interesting new approach

DWS

• Members

I'd like to share this heartwarming video that appeared in my Youtube recommendations. It's an interview with Dr. Joanne Cacciatore who is a research professor, author and bereaved mother. She along with a research professor in the UK founded an animal care farm in Arizona to welcome and help grieving people and families from all over the world. There are 40+ animals that they've rescued from abuse and trauma. It's an idea that seems to be working...."Connecting tortured, abused, and lost animals with traumatized humans in a therapeutic carefarm environment". 

I'm an animal lover so this touches me so deeply but I am also mesmerized by Joanne's passion in all of this. She truly is a shining beacon of light.  The interview gave me some much needed comfort and validation of how I see my grief. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing this.  I have watched it and am saving this link...she is right, and I like what she has to share...it gives us much pause for thought.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What a great idea. If I still lived in AZ I would have checked this out. I'd love to help animals like that.

I'd also love to give the people that abused these animals a taste of their own medicine, but sadly that's not possible...

• Like 4

• Moderators

Thanks Kay! ugh don't get me started on how this world has gotten so nauseatingly soft (you wouldn't believe the touchy feely routines we are bludgeoned with at work)...if people would only look to other countries that don't play such ridiculous games and notice the far lower crime rates, maybe a clue would kick in. But I doubt it...

• Like 3

• Members

Last night, I caught another video on the Saleh Carefarm in Arizona. The farm and its owner Joanne are such a treasure in this world and for us grievers. I doubt I'll ever make the trip down there to see the farm but I'm finding the videos on it a big comfort. The warmth and loving passion surrounding it is so admirable and inspiring. I love what Joanne says towards the end of the video..."We need support. We need the presence of others who can bear witness to whatever depth and breadth our pain happens to manifest in any moment, without trying to make us feel better, without trying to ameliorate that pain."

• Like 2

• Members

My animals certainly help me feel better.  They don't have awkward verbal attempts at comfort. They don't think about the past. They are just happy to be in the present and keep me company.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, AJ4 said:

My animals certainly help me feel better.  They don't have awkward verbal attempts at comfort. They don't think about the past. They are just happy to be in the present and keep me company.

They also are totally honest; no head games. (Well OK cats sometimes but that's because they're insane ;) )  I know pets aren't always feasible or otherwise desirable for people for different reasons, but I would strongly suggest considering. Her (and then my) dog was nothing less than a lifeline that I clung to in those early darkest of days. I HAD to go on, because he needed me. Not only was he practically all I really had, but I was for sure all he had.

And keep in mind there are diff kinds of pets; it doesn't have to be a dog or cat. When I was living in an apt complex that didn't allow them, for example, I had tropical fish. Granted they aren't really cuddly, but they are also very low maintenance, kinda pretty to look at, and there's something to be said for having another beating heart in the home and someone who depends on you.

• Like 4

• Members
On 7/18/2022 at 11:37 PM, widower2 said:

[...] I'd also love to give the people that abused these animals a taste of their own medicine, but sadly that's not possible...

On 7/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, KayC said:

@widower2 This brought me a smile...leave it to you, to give candid words to the way I think! ;)

You guys make me laugh! 🤣. There are other, more constructive and 'healthy' ways, though, to release our sense and feelings of outrage, anger, injustice, etc., rather than to just let it fester and rot us in our 'innards'. Of course we are at least "letting it all out" here...but, for me personally, sometimes I just need a more direct-physical outlet. Whether it's kick-boxing or Tai Chi or gardening or running. (Well...I personally don't enjoy running...not at all. But I do find ways that I do enjoy, to help me release my own sense and feelings of anger, outrage and injustice.)

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, widower2 said:

(Well OK cats sometimes but that's because they're insane ;) ) 

Haha!  Totally.  Panther (feral cat) has gouged up my post on my ramp really bad, I mean huge gouges!  And ignores the cat scratchers on each end of the patio.  

• Moderators
14 hours ago, KayC said:

Haha!  Totally.  Panther (feral cat) has gouged up my post on my ramp really bad, I mean huge gouges!  And ignores the cat scratchers on each end of the patio.  

Try some mint extract, I hear most animals hate that. Or spray some Pam on there and watch her slide off lol

• Like 1