Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dealing with guilt for putting husband in memory care unit.

MsDixie

• Members

I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this.  I was my husband sole caregiver for 11 years and hated seeing him go thru it.  My life was put on hold for so long.  But now he isn't home any longer and I feel so guilty for wishing it to end for me.  I guess it is true, be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.  Well he is no long my burden to carry and I feel awful.  He has been in there for 3 1/2 months and everyone says that I need to give myself time, it's only been 3 1/2 Months.  But to me, it's like he has already been there for 3 1/2 months, why am I still stuck in my house.  I am still going thru my regular routine, can't seem to GO OUT.  I also take care of my parents.  I have a very complicated life, which I know so many do these days.  I know in my head what I need to do, I just can't seem to act on it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear MsDixie,

Being a caregiver is the hardest job in the world. It takes an emotional toll. I too struggle with knowing what to do and how and when. All we can do is take it moment by moment.

Sorry this thread is not very active. I think you will get more support at a site called Aging Care. 

https://www.agingcare.com/Discussions/life-after-caregiving-188142.htm

My thoughts are with you.