Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Physical Toll of Grief

HDee

• Members
Laura Vence

I'm so glad you are taking care of yourself now. When we become caretakers, it's like our ability to take care of ourSELVES is almost robbed from us. And when we DO take care of ourselves, people almost blame us. (I took a caretaker's break after 4 straight months of caretaking my husband prior to his death. I think that "saved me," and allowed me to get through the death--not that I'm "through" it.) 

Please continue on this path. You are worth it!

with love, Laura 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

https://kval.com/news/nation-world/husband-of-teacher-slain-in-texas-elementary-school-dies-of-grief-uvalde-texas-robb-elementary-school-mass-shooting-irma-garcia

23 hours ago, HDee said:

one week later, a DVT in the right leg.

A friend of mine was rushed to the hospital last night, a blood clot in her leg, was to have surgery, haven't heard update...she still has three young kids she's young enough to be my daughter!  It can be scary.

23 hours ago, HDee said:

the clotting factors in the blood increase during grief!  It's poorly understood, but it's a fact.  When I asked the doctor about this, he said, "Yes, you're lucky you didn't have a heart attack.  Start taking care of yourself."

Yes, so important to see a doctor during early grief!  My husband (on his deathbed) wanted me to promise to get a stress test, I did, I passed with flying colors.  But I got edema when he died, it scared me, I'm amazed I didn't have a heart attack.  I take excellent care of myself and 17 years later, still no heart problems but it could have been, easily.  It runs in my family.  I don't know why one person and not another, nothing in life makes sense it seems.

I do take a baby aspirin and Bromelain per day (both thin blood), doctors didn't put me on it but it helps my BP.  They haven't told me not to and are aware of everything I take.  I'm glad you got some help/treatment.:wub:

• Members
On 5/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, HDee said:

Remember, I had a perfect storm of predisposing factors...and then I made things worse.  Now, health anxiety....sighhhhhhhhhh.

Oh, HDee...you did make me laff!  (But I didn't want to use the 'Ha-Ha laugh emoticon' in case I'd come across as all insensitve.<sigh against my own self>.)

Anyway. "Health anxiety" is the perfect thing that I went through just this morning. For the past...since March 2020, I can count on one hand the number of people who I've been willing to let into my apartment. But I got careless on Friday night, and let in a new-to-me neighbour from two doors down. Then, this morning, "OMG!!!  My right hand is feeling all 'limp' and my right leg is feeling all 'numb'. And, what are the symptoms of Covid??? And, what should I do now???"  (I already know that I live one of the most unhealthy lifestyles on Earth...and, I challenge anyone to come and tell me that theirs is unhealthier! <LOL>.)

So...if I go and add the 'Ha-Ha laugh emoticon' to your original post, you won't think me a perfectly thoughtless and insensitive moron. Right? Because, what I'm actually trying to convey with it is: Thanks, SO MUCH, for the laugh! 💓.     Ronni