Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Mother died. Dad not doing well.

jigeye

• Members

My mother and dad were married 67 years. My mother died after a lengthy illness. This took a toll on both my Dad and myself. My concern is my Dad. He was already tired from caring for my mom. Now, he is very depressed (showing all signs of depression: staying in bed, not eating, etc.) He states that he wants to go and see Mom.

Local dr. put him on anti depressant medication, however, I live 1 hr 20 min from him. I got him a pill box and filled it properly with anti depressant meds, parkinsons meds, heart meds.

I call him yesterday and he had not eaten nor taken his meds.

This is causing me to be depressed. I already have a counselor and he is working with me. My Dad lives in a little town in Arkansas so I am trying to find him some psychological help.

Bottom line: I don't know what you do with someone who is "giving up". He won't say that, but that is what it is pointing to.

• Members

Dear jigeye,

I am so sorry for your loss. Good of you to check on your dad.  I wonder if friends, family and neighbors that are closer could also go and visit with him more often. It's very hard after 67 years together and I can't even imagine the pain he is going through. Grief levels us all and I know there were many days I felt like giving up too. Keep telling him you love him and need him and that you're there for him. It will take your dad time to grieve.

Thinking of you both.