Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Advice for in-person support groups

Jill Love

• Members

No, but I am looking for one. Am new here. Are there people of this site virtually meeting? Or elsewhere? It would be such a great help. Please let me know if you hear something. Thanks!

• Members

If you know how to set up zoom, i' d love too join. Just such a Computer Idiot myself I don't know how to set it up but I can click on a link.

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Dear Summersun,

Anyone can set up a free Zoom account. Just click join and you'll have to set up a user ID and password. The sessions on the free account are limited to 60-minutes (I believe). You can also change your zoom ID and password to a generic one to make it easy for attendees to join. If you want longer meeting, you have to pay for the extra time. I think that it will allow as many as 100 people to join your meeting. I wish you success in sharing your message and comforting grieving ones. 

• Members

Perhaps, we can create a zoom link and talk to each other about how we feel. I also have been looking for a support group and unable to find one. 

I can create a zoom link and send one according to everyone's availability. What day and time do you guys prefer?

• Members

Maybe Friday, so people have a few less appointments? And are not off to their weekend things yet?

I would suggest a time that is morning in North America and early evening in Europe, so that most people can participate? For the first group? If there is tons of people later, we can split into time zones. 

Not too late, so we can go to sleep without reactivating our loss right before bedtime :-) There will be crying after all...

I 'd suggest 6 pm European Time, to be adjusted depending on whether there are actual people from California etc., or only East Coast who can maybe make it?

At least this is how other international groups worked that I have been in.

It would be great, if you could collect contacts, how do I send you my email? Thanks so much for setting it up!

• Like 1

• Members

Friday sounds fine to me. And yes the time (6pm EU) also suits. I can create a link and paste here in the comments. But first, people need to read this message and we can know who all are interested. If anyone is interested then please mention in the comments and then we can discuss the date and time. :)

If you have joined other groups, you can ask if they are interested as well?

• Members

I really want to do this because only the people who have lost can understand this pain (I hope who hasn't experienced the pain of loss never have to) and while I understand every grief journey is different and every pain is different, maybe we would feel a bit better after talking it out. 

• Members

Hi anj, hi pragya!

I posted a new topic for the support group. I am not sure a lot of people will read it now with the holidays. If you know how to send a link please add me. If you wanted to, we could start  just the three of us. Maybe It's even better to get to know one another a little bit before there is lots of other people coming into it? I am not so ecperienced with these websites and personal messages and stuff, so I just ask here. Zoom works with email addresses doesn't it? If you can kindly direct me where to send it, I'm available almost any time. Are you both EU time? UK or mainland? Thanks and habe a great day both of you

• Members
Pragya vij

Hi, something came up for Friday and I'll be occupied the whole day, can we do it saturday instead? 

Why don't we share our email ids on personal chat here? Summersun and anj you could both message me there and I'll create a zoom link.

I'm on IST btw, 6 pm EU does work for me for most days.

• Members

Saturday also works for me but only in the evening after 6pm. I live in the Netherlands (so EU time). I will send you my email id in the personal chat. 

• Members

Please note, it is UK time, not mainland. Search for London time if you are not from Europe and unsure... Should be 7 pm on the continent, if I am not mistaken?

• Members
HearingElmo

I tried one through a hospice program, but they would not turn captions on in zoom. I’m deaf and have to have captions. I went twice and then dropped out.

I would love to participate in a zoom support group. 

• Members

Hey,hearing elmo,,

what is a hospice program? I have no idea, but is it not better to get sign language interpetation anyway? all my transcription programs are with plenty of errors. And there will be non-native speakers like myself with accents etc. Are you sure it would even work? Or can you ask social services in Maryland for an interpreter. Or someone to help you with the program? I´m a computer idiot, so cannot help, but we would for sure like to have you. Please try and join us next time. There is no date set yet, as people travel.

• Members
HearingElmo

I am not culturally deaf. I didn’t lose my hearing until 25. All zoom and Microsoft team accounts have auto captions. The host simply has to turn them on.

• Members

Ah that is very good news. Did not mean to assume, i have just been in other groups where we had people who used interpreters and they really needed them. If it works with zoom then just make sure that whoever is hosting next knows of your needs. I am sure they will do this if they can find where to click. We just have not set up a date, as I just posted in the zoom group thread, for the next meeting. So no host is decided I believe as we do not knwo who has time on which day. Keep an eye on both threads. As it is travel time, we might only be a few. But in my experience, that is best, when starting a group, instead of starting with too many, especially when we have technical stuff to figure out.

• Members

Hello all, kindly choose your preferred date and time for the meeting and according to the majority we can decide a date and I can arrange the meeting.

Click the link below to pick a date and time. You can specify more than one choice. Select all where you can be present for the meeting. 

📍 zoom
🗣 anj

https://datumprikker.nl/pqxcecvipgsgxfn3