Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dad passed away

Kridycat

• Members

My dad passed away late Easter evening from cardiac arrest. He had a heart attack the week before and was in the hospital the Wednesday through Saturday before. It was sudden as he was fine all day and was talking about how he was going to get back to doing his normal stuff. My brain knows he is gone but seems to not want to fully recognize it.  I did not see him everyday like my mom and sisters did since they all live together.  Also, I just had a baby at the beginning of February which will not have the chance to really know my dad. My one sister is pregnant and is due in September with her second girl (the first is 11 and saw everything unfold). I can easily do things normally mostly but then ot hits that I will never see him again.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Dear Kridycat:

I’m very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is a terrible shock. Please don’t be hard on yourself and know that there is no right way or wrong way to grieve. It’s normal for grief to hit us at different times. I know the first two years were the roughest for myself.

Please know we are here with you.

• Members

So my partners and I have decided to sell my house and buy another so we can have a bigger yard and some extra space for when our son gets older and we have another child. I know this process as I have bought 2 houses and sold one. My dad helped me find this house when I was going through my divorce and has helped out with repairs and whatnot. I think with him not being here to be like everything is going to be okay, I am just really stressed and overwhelmed. My partners tries to tell me we will figure everything out and things will be fine.  I miss him so much. I almost wonder if part of me just doesn't want to leave yet because I feel connected with him somehow through this house.

• Members

I was having an okay day and then my mom texts my sisters and I in a group text with the appointment she made for the headstone for my dad as she wants us all to be included. For reference my mom sent a text prior asking for our availability and my youngest sister and I responded. So my middle sister says she can't make it because she has an appointment for her puppy that day around the same time as the appointment my mom made. I cannot go Amy earlier because of work which I had stated in the group text. It's like she did this on purpose so I don't get to go and helps with the decision. It's just so messed up. I am at work right now crying a little because I should have known she would do something like this. I swear my middle sister hates me. She is closing on a house the end of the following week. Just not having any consideration about anyone else's schedule and knowing I live and hour away from all of them working 2 jobs. We can't do weekdays because of her schedule and she pulls this. I am mad that she decided to do this and sad that I won't be able to be there.

• Members
17 hours ago, Kridycat said:

I was having an okay day and then my mom texts my sisters and I in a group text with the appointment she made for the headstone for my dad as she wants us all to be included. For reference my mom sent a text prior asking for our availability and my youngest sister and I responded. So my middle sister says she can't make it because she has an appointment for her puppy that day around the same time as the appointment my mom made. I cannot go Amy earlier because of work which I had stated in the group text. It's like she did this on purpose so I don't get to go and helps with the decision. It's just so messed up. I am at work right now crying a little because I should have known she would do something like this. I swear my middle sister hates me. She is closing on a house the end of the following week. Just not having any consideration about anyone else's schedule and knowing I live and hour away from all of them working 2 jobs. We can't do weekdays because of her schedule and she pulls this. I am mad that she decided to do this and sad that I won't be able to be there.

I am so sorry to hear your situation.  It seems like there is more issues between you and your mother, but that is another subject.

Can you ask them to use video conference with you when they meet up to decide on your dad's headstone?

• Members

So I have been having a hard time at my full time job(I work a part time job as well). My boss is being ridiculous and I feel like it is forgotten that I am a new mom with any almost 6 months old and my dad has been gone for 3.5 months. I believe the last week or so I have been showing some signs of depression . I am working on trying to get myself together and have decided I might take tomorrow off from my full time job so I can have a very much needed mental break. I pretty much work every day. My boss at my full time job has suddenly been acting like not one in my department is doing our job which we are. He keeps micro managing us and I honestly need to be left alone to do my jobs before I have a complete mental break.

• Members
Elizabeth D.

Sorry to hear that your boss is being that way toward you. I would almost feel like looking for a new job if that were me. Are you able to talk to your boss about that? Or maybe human resources? I know sometimes it's scary to talk to HR because they might tell everything you say back to the boss and that could make things even more tense.

• Members

My full time job has really great benefits plus we all just got good raises. I applied for another position which paid more before we get raises but now I will make more than that but i would not be able to tale it with me if I got that position which makes me feel stuck. I did talk to one of the HR people about it and am waiting to hear back from them. I plan on sending my direct supervisor (one causing the issue) to let him know i am taking today off and why.  I know whatever his issue is all of a sudden as effecting my mental well being and therefore my baby's as well.  I have thought about leaving but there are not many jobs where you can have a pension which I have there but new employees have no longer been given them if they started after July 2014. 

• Members
Elizabeth D.

I can understand feeling stuck then. Hopefully HR gets back to you with a solution that works and addresses the issue.